Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Did Anyone Watch House Hunters on the HGTV Station Last Night?

Did Anyone Watch House Hunters on the HGTV Station Last Night?

Old Feb 8th 2006, 2:18 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did Anyone Watch House Hunters on the HGTV Station Last Night?

I love the program and try to catch it as often as possible. They have an International House Hunters segment once in a while and last night was about this Brit who worked for MacMillan House. He had a large estate in the country and needed a London apartment for those days when he had to be in London late and couldn't return home.

Well he looked at 4 apartments ranging in price from 1.1 Million to 2.4 Million. The places were beautiful and large but still it is not want the average joe can spend for an apartment in London I'm sure.

If anyone else caught this what was your take on it.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 5:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did Anyone Watch House Hunters on the HGTV Station Last Night?

Show sounds familiar, though I think it had another name in blighty?

Anyway, walking around Windsor park, just by the entrance near campus, anyway, bloke was putting up a sign for a gate house and asked us if we were interested...we were a bit smart as we were heading off to a do or somin', anyway, the guy casually said it's only £7M...for a gate house...sod that, I'd want the house with a spot of land *l*
Old Feb 8th 2006, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Did Anyone Watch House Hunters on the HGTV Station Last Night?

Originally Posted by Rete
I love the program and try to catch it as often as possible. They have an International House Hunters segment once in a while and last night was about this Brit who worked for MacMillan House. He had a large estate in the country and needed a London apartment for those days when he had to be in London late and couldn't return home.

Well he looked at 4 apartments ranging in price from 1.1 Million to 2.4 Million. The places were beautiful and large but still it is not want the average joe can spend for an apartment in London I'm sure.

I saw it,absolutely gorgeous places BUT who are they kidding?,how could the average person ever afford a something that expensive?,I really wish they'd have 'real' people on that International House Hunters,I'd love to see what an 'average' house looks like in dfferent countries....I saw one of the IHH in France it was an American woman and her French(?)husband buying an apartment in Paris and she was complaining about how tiny the kitchen and bathroom was!...what did she expect in a few hundred year old building!!?!!....I wonder if other Americans who watch the show realise how lucky and pampered they are!?!.....Sophia
Old Feb 8th 2006, 12:58 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

I saw it too. I never thought that he would pick the flat that he did, I thought it was the worst one! Well I guess that just because you have money, it doesn't automatically mean that you have taste! . I did however love the Lamborgini that he was driving!
Old Feb 8th 2006, 7:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sophia_S
I saw it,absolutely gorgeous places BUT who are they kidding?,how could the average person ever afford a something that expensive?,I really wish they'd have 'real' people on that International House Hunters,I'd love to see what an 'average' house looks like in dfferent countries....I saw one of the IHH in France it was an American woman and her French(?)husband buying an apartment in Paris and she was complaining about how tiny the kitchen and bathroom was!...what did she expect in a few hundred year old building!!?!!....I wonder if other Americans who watch the show realise how lucky and pampered they are!?!.....Sophia

I'm familiar with one German apartment, the one that my grandparents and mother and her sister lived in since 1922. I had to close it up just this past September when my aunt passed away. Actually the rooms were not quite as small as some I have seen. The kitchen was quite a large room. Far big enough for a table for six plus the cabinets and small frig and stove and a lovely double window on the courtyard. The bathroom was big enough to dance in.

But I have watched HH International for a while and have noted the smallness of the apartments in Italy, England and France and while I'm American I at least can figure out it is because of the oldness of the building to be one of the causes. I do love the modern bathrooms though. Noted that even in the hotel we stayed at in Karlshrue last September.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 7:51 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by blaze
I saw it too. I never thought that he would pick the flat that he did, I thought it was the worst one! Well I guess that just because you have money, it doesn't automatically mean that you have taste! . I did however love the Lamborgini that he was driving!

Hehehehe, you and I both.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

What makes European flats and houses look smaller still is that all the rooms are separate whereas here everything is open so appears bigger, especially when you figure in vaulted ceilings. Another thing that makes us houses huge is basements. In the UK basements aren't the norm because of the level of damp that would caused by frost. Where as In the US & Canada you have to dig below the level of damp so then basements became the norm.

My current apartment appears huge but is not that big its just all of the things I mentioned.