Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Did anyone struggle not having a degree?

Did anyone struggle not having a degree?

Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did anyone struggle not having a degree?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That's interesting, I don't know anyone in research who doesn't have a PhD.
Her masters was a research based one and she got quite a few publications, she was going to go get her Phd when she landed the job as a researcher, but never needed to actually get it in the end and just worked as a researcher for a few years before getting promoted to run the lab, and now at this private place.

She says it is now more people and project management which isn't as much fun but she still has a couple of pet research projects she is running, just not doing that full time.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:28 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Got a call today from a local health organisation I applied to - interview next week.

Thought you had a job. I remember you posting about it months ago. It went belly up?
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Her masters was a research based one and she got quite a few publications, she was going to go get her Phd when she landed the job as a researcher, but never needed to actually get it in the end and just worked as a researcher for a few years before getting promoted to run the lab, and now at this private place.

She says it is now more people and project management which isn't as much fun but she still has a couple of pet research projects she is running, just not doing that full time.
Ah, maybe because it's a private place.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Thought you had a job. I remember you posting about it months ago. It went belly up?
Crap job...lasted two days.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Ah, maybe because it's a private place.
She was initially running the diabetes lab at Havard though....so not to shabby of a place.

I think in her instance it was just a case of having a good research masters and good publications that gave her a break and then it got to the point where she really doesn't need to get one unless she wants to teach.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I missed that move - no jobs going in BC I assume?
Not many. I did have one however it was in Vancouver, I was 90km away with no car and did not find housing in the week the company gave me to move and would not budge on allowing me more time and I dont know anyone in Vancouver and well being homeless was not something I was gonna do.

So I came back from now, pending background check I should have a job soon at the airport (8/hr) and I have an interview tomorrow for a seasonal manager position with the US division of a company I did the same job for in Canada during Christmas.

I wish that company operated year round.....
Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:00 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
She was initially running the diabetes lab at Havard though....so not to shabby of a place.

I think in her instance it was just a case of having a good research masters and good publications that gave her a break and then it got to the point where she really doesn't need to get one unless she wants to teach.
Slightly OT, but if she were interested in getting a PhD, in some universities in the UK, you can apply to be awarded a PhD "by publication" (i.e., based on a coherent programme of previously published material, primarily peer-reviewed journal publications). There is a lot more detail to it than that, obviously, but if she were interested in further information, PM me and I'd be glad to either exchange emails or phone conversation to explain further.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 2:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by dunroving
Slightly OT, but if she were interested in getting a PhD, in some universities in the UK, you can apply to be awarded a PhD "by publication" (i.e., based on a coherent programme of previously published material, primarily peer-reviewed journal publications). There is a lot more detail to it than that, obviously, but if she were interested in further information, PM me and I'd be glad to either exchange emails or phone conversation to explain further.
Thanks, I'll let her know next time we see her
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 3:23 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I completely agree. And if we could just get industry to realise the truth of what you are saying, a lot of young adults would save themselves a lot of money spending 4 years at university learning stuff that largely is not going to help them in the workplace. Bring back apprenticeships!
Absolutely true - though I want my daughters to go to university for the life experience (and I don't mean frat parties ). Daughter number one is now less than two years away. Internships coordinated through a university are common in engineering but less so in other fields.

Beyond all that though is a need for more jobs in this country, period. Bring back guilds and skilled tradesmen!
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 5:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Absolutely true - though I want my daughters to go to university for the life experience (and I don't mean frat parties ). Daughter number one is now less than two years away. Internships coordinated through a university are common in engineering but less so in other fields.

Beyond all that though is a need for more jobs in this country, period. Bring back guilds and skilled tradesmen!
What exactly is this life experience? I went to college for a couple years and I never saw this so called life experience, seems silly to pay so much just for that if at the end the degree is just a generic one and nothing speceific.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 6:08 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
What exactly is this life experience? I went to college for a couple years and I never saw this so called life experience, seems silly to pay so much just for that if at the end the degree is just a generic one and nothing speceific.
Living on campus, surrounded by your peer group, finding out who you are and what *you* believe in. Staying up all night musing about what the future holds; going to the massive libraries; late night walks with friends. I don't think you can get this experience if you live at home while attending classes. You only have one chance at this experience at a time when you're young and full of possibilities. I want this for my daughters - my eldest is ready for it now.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:06 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

I completely agree. And if we could just get industry to realise the truth of what you are saying, a lot of young adults would save themselves a lot of money spending 4 years at university learning stuff that largely is not going to help them in the workplace. Bring back apprenticeships!
The vast majority of companies in the US just won't spend the time and money on supporting apprenticeships anymore.

I effectively created my own "apprenticeship" by accident - attending night school paid for (reimbursed) by work and having to do the lesser technical types of work until the degree was finished. It took 2 straight years at a jc and then 7 more p/t at a tech school. A nine-year apprentiship
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 4:08 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Living on campus, surrounded by your peer group, finding out who you are and what *you* believe in. Staying up all night musing about what the future holds; going to the massive libraries; late night walks with friends. I don't think you can get this experience if you live at home while attending classes. You only have one chance at this experience at a time when you're young and full of possibilities. I want this for my daughters - my eldest is ready for it now.
I'm with you there - I always found the undergraduates studying in their hometown and living with their parents had a different experience and seemed to not grow up like those living away from home and sorting their own accommodation.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

msi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nice

I am currently redoing my GCSEs (20 years after leaving school)
I have got plenty of qualifications from my work, but Im not sure how this will translate in the USA. Am also a member of a couple of proffesional organizations too.
Am leaving the Army after 22 years, will this experience aid in Job hunting or are employers not really impressed with this?
Am also wondering if its worth getting a Degree in Management or something before I finish my time I have 5 years left till I retire?

Any tips hints or advice will be great
Old Dec 27th 2009, 12:43 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Get a beautful degree in India .... for less than a $100
far better fakes than the US ones

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.