Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Diabetes, hypertension, visa medical

Diabetes, hypertension, visa medical

Old Sep 13th 2004, 5:30 am
Just Joined

soopoo is on a distinguished road
Question Diabetes, hypertension, visa medical

Can anyone advise me regarding the medical for US Immigrant Visa. Will having type 2 diabetes and hypertension prevent me getting through the medical? Ta.
Old Sep 13th 2004, 6:41 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diabetes, hypertension, visa medical

Originally Posted by soopoo
Can anyone advise me regarding the medical for US Immigrant Visa. Will having type 2 diabetes and hypertension prevent me getting through the medical? Ta.
Hypertension shouldn't be a problem. My blood pressire was sky high when I had my medical. The doctor just advised me to see my own GP about it and said that eveyone's BP was high for the Visa medical becuase of the stress of the day.
Old Sep 13th 2004, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

The yanks are looking for contagious diseases such as TB, aids etc. Diabetes is a condition not a disease, and I have found my own diabetes has been treated a lot better over here than it ever was on the NHS.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

soopoo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
The yanks are looking for contagious diseases such as TB, aids etc. Diabetes is a condition not a disease, and I have found my own diabetes has been treated a lot better over here than it ever was on the NHS.

Dear Dr Scrumpy, I am from Somerset, you wouldn't happen to hail from these parts as well, by any chance? I am told that the latest fashionable drink around these here parts is Scrumpy and Vimto! Thank you for the reassurance, I have been worried that being middlle aged, diabetic and hypertensive would exclude me-not exactly "rock and roll" is it?!

Thanks again, soopoo.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by soopoo
Dear Dr Scrumpy, I am from Somerset, you wouldn't happen to hail from these parts as well, by any chance? I am told that the latest fashionable drink around these here parts is Scrumpy and Vimto! Thank you for the reassurance, I have been worried that being middlle aged, diabetic and hypertensive would exclude me-not exactly "rock and roll" is it?!

Thanks again, soopoo.
Deepest darkest Hampshire was my original home, but loved the nectar of the Gods. Since moving here my blood sugars have plummeted by nearly 1/2 with the treatment I have had in the US. Health care over hers is VERY expensive, even with co-pay you have to pay up to $ 35 per prescription for any drugs you need. Currently I am on 3 different tablets for my diabetes & insulin. That runs to $ 100 + per month in medicines. I am not certain how much of that is written off against your tax, but it is a pain having to find the money when it comes time to get the tablets.

Cheers
Old Sep 14th 2004, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

webcity is an unknown quantity at this point

Deepest darkest Hampshire was my original home, but loved the nectar of the Gods. Since moving here my blood sugars have plummeted by nearly 1/2 with the treatment I have had in the US. Health care over hers is VERY expensive, even with co-pay you have to pay up to $ 35 per prescription for any drugs you need. Currently I am on 3 different tablets for my diabetes & insulin. That runs to $ 100 + per month in medicines. I am not certain how much of that is written off against your tax, but it is a pain having to find the money when it comes time to get the tablets.

Cheers
Hi,

My daughter has type one diabetes and we are looking to relocate to Florida on a E1 or E2 visa. Is it possible to get family health insurance that includes pre existing conditions like diabetes?

Regards, Spencer
Old Sep 14th 2004, 4:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
How true that is. I'm a newly diagnosed Type II and the single pill med ran me $96 this month. Hopefully, it won't be as much once my deductible for the year is met. But the testing strips are outrageous. Thank the gods for flex spending. At least the medical expenses over and above healthcare is tax free.

Rete
Old Sep 14th 2004, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I have to keep a check on my blood pressure because it is so low however the doc at the london medical said it was a little on the high side that day(can't imagine why )... anyhow what I am trying to say is it is proably normal for everyone to a high reading during their medical.

Ash
Old Sep 14th 2004, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Actually what would happen if I needed any medical treatment back in the UK whilst visiting family ? Would I be entitled to NHS as a British citizen ?