Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Detroit POE & coming home to thing1 & bringing my cat to the us

Detroit POE & coming home to thing1 & bringing my cat to the us

Old Jun 3rd 2003, 11:00 pm
finally home with thing1

thing2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Detroit POE & coming home to thing1 & bringing my cat to the us

Its sure been a while since I've posted here but all for good reason... Um, this will probably be a bit long

On 25 May, I finally flew home to thing1, and here I am now, in Michigan

As my last day in the UK came, everything suddenly came into focus when I realised I really was emigrating. And despite ridiculous amounts of planning, I was still running around like a headless chicken on the last morning, trying to make sure I was 100% ready.

Unbelievably, I managed to cut it very fine for my plane. I had an added complication in that I was taking my pet cat Boston with me.

Details for anyone taking their pet : I flew Northwest - my cat flew as excess baggage at a cost of $110

My first worry came when the NW lady was looking over the vet's certificate to fly - a typed and signed letter stating Boston was fit and ok to fly - on headed paper - I had the original taped to the carrier and a photocopy with me. She asked if there was a stamp on it from the vet and scrutinised it closely, then deciding she was happy with it. She also checked his vaccination history and was happy with that. Get your letter (certificate) stamped if you are taking a pet. If anyone wants to know the wording of my letter from the vet, let me know, its just two lines.

The NWA lady also asked me to tape a water bottle to the carrier. I had an empty feeding and water bowl attached to the door. The water came in useful as somewhere between Detroit and Grand Rapids, Boston was given some. Oh - the case I used for him was : https://www.petplanet.co.uk/shop/pro...9&pf%5Fid=3492 - the NWA lady said she wished everyone used such a smart case

So far so smooth. That'll be $110 (£67) she said. "Um, I've already paid". Fine, do you have a receipt. "Uh Oh"

Turned out my agent put everything on the special instructions except the fact that I had already paid. They agreed to call my agent (Travelbag - luckily, they're based in Piccadilly Circus and are open every day - I was traveling on a Sunday) and ask them to fax over the receipt

Time passed by. By now, everyone had checked into the flight and I was the last one. The fax didn't arrive by the time they had to close check-in and get Boston on the plane. So I paid again. 2 seconds later, guess what. Yup, they got the fax. And to their credit, they took my card back and refunded the payment. Phew. Kudos to all involved.

So, my relaxed last couple of UK hours were anything but, and I never got to have a meal with my best friend who had been a complete star in helping me finish up everything.

Got the plane. The flight attendant came up to me and assured me Boston was on the plane. *Lots of interest from everyone and gasps that I was taking a cat with me lol*

And so on to Detroit. I know a few people seem to have had problems here, but it was all plain sailing for me and I've never had trouble before. I went up to the immigration line, handed over my passport and white I-94 and said I'm here on a K-1 Visa. The lady asked for my sealed envelope. Gosh, that's a heavy one, she said. It was thing1's tax returns that made the package weighty. She ripped it open, stamped my I-94 and passport and welcomed me. And that was it. After 6 months of eternal waiting, it took all of 60 seconds to enter the USA.

My change at Detroit was easy. I collected my baggage and then collected Boston. He seemed fine following the flight. I then strolled through customs, just handing over the customs slip. There was no checking of Boston or my luggage. For my change of flight, I had to take Boston from the case so the airport official could check the case was ok.

And that was it. I was in the US and 2 hours from home and thing1. I caught the Indy 500 result while waiting in the lounge, and then caught my 25 minute flight to Grand Rapids. Once again, the flight attendant came up to let me know Boston was on board.

At 8.00pm that night I got off the plane and walked into the arms of thing1 knowing this time, there was no goodbye in a couple of weeks. Except she was 20 minutes late... roflmao. I collected Boston and he survived the journey well. Just over a week later though, and we're still trying to get him to get along with thing1's little doggie Phoenix.

So now I'm home and it is just fantastic. Just being able to do all the normal things everyone else takes for granted. We're going to the supermarket tonight for our weekly shop. I can't wait

We've been able to go to Starbucks together, eat ice cream and wander by the lake in the afternoon, kiss each other goodnight...

To anyone still waiting... It will come and it will be good

Oh, and I took my written driving test today, and passed it. In 30 days, I can do the driven test.

One last thing, where is this Michigan summer I've heard lots about ? I hear there's been a heatwave back in Blighty !
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 11:11 pm
finally home with thing1

Oh yeah

We also got our marriage license and visited the cute little town we are getting married in. Luckily, the city courthouse was fully booked, so thing1 found a small town courthouse that could marry us on a date that is very special to us

Only 15 days to go until thing1 and thing2 are married
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 11:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default congrats!

Congratulations to The Things! I'm sure the smiles haven't left your faces for a second! :-)

OK, I have to ask....can we hear the story on how the kittie and doggie came to be known as Boston and Phoenix? Especially since I'm in Phoenix...LOL....please? :-)

Rene
Old Jun 4th 2003, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

AdiaStar has a spectacular aura aboutAdiaStar has a spectacular aura aboutAdiaStar has a spectacular aura about

Congratulations!

I love your posts, always so detailed and informative!

Angelus71 and I can't wait to go to the supermarket together. Little things like that mean so much!

Good Luck to you both!
Old Jun 4th 2003, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

kitty-uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats Thing's

I am pleased to hear your cat made the trip ok, and may I say welcome to the usa ... wishing you all the best kit
Old Jun 4th 2003, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

NevAnna is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to America, Thing2! This time, for good
Old Jun 4th 2003, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Detroit POE & coming home to thing1 & bringing my cat to the us

Hello Both Things!

Gald to hear that your trip to beautiful Michigan went well. Very happy that you two Things can do things that Things are supposed to do together

Good luck for the rest,
Caroline

PS: driving test is piece of cake! Just practice the parallel parking a little bit beforehand Good luck!
Old Jun 4th 2003, 2:29 am
In the UK

Careybear will become famous soon enough
Default Woohooo!!

I was waiting to hear from the Things!!!! Welcome to michigan Thing2....i always tell people don't expect it to be warm in michigan until at least June!!! I knew we wouldn't hear from you two for awhile because you'd be spending all your time together...I'm so happy for you two!!!

Good to hear about Detroit!!! I knew about the $110 charge for oversized luggage because I've talked to NW about it for Paul's dog. He's still not sure if he's bringing him and I'm going to insist on it!!! I'm going to have Paul go to JFK for his I-94 stamp or whatever it is to be able to work when he gets here. I'm thinking I might drive out to New York to pick him up and have a great drive home!!! But back to you guys...I'm happy you didn't have a problem in Detroit and had a good flight!!!

Have a fun wedding and wish I could be there....I 'll be there in thoughts!!! Wow you're only an hour away from me now!! We'll have to get together!!

Carey
Old Jun 4th 2003, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations on your reunion, Thing1 and Thing2!

And congrats to Boston as well
Old Jun 4th 2003, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

esandstr is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the US and Michigan!! We're still waiting for proper summer here, but I guess the heat and the humidity will come soon enough!

One quick question: Before you took the written test for the driver's licens, did you find any sample tests or references to a booklet to read thru on the Internet or somewhere?

Have a wonderful day together!

Eiolf
Old Jun 4th 2003, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by esandstr
Welcome to the US and Michigan!! We're still waiting for proper summer here, but I guess the heat and the humidity will come soon enough!

One quick question: Before you took the written test for the driver's licens, did you find any sample tests or references to a booklet to read thru on the Internet or somewhere?

Have a wonderful day together!

Eiolf
If I remember well, you can find sample questions on the Department of State's website. There are 2 booklets 1 to read before taking the driving (written) test and the other one to explain the road test. Both are available at the Secretary of State (and probably on their website as well).

Make sure you study the parts about snow and deers

Otherwise, I posted something about the road test a while back in a post from one of the Things. You can probably find it in the archives if you are interested.

Caroline
Old Jun 4th 2003, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

esandstr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Caro
If I remember well, you can find sample questions on the Department of State's website. There are 2 booklets 1 to read before taking the driving (written) test and the other one to explain the road test. Both are available at the Secretary of State (and probably on their website as well).

Make sure you study the parts about snow and deers

Otherwise, I posted something about the road test a while back in a post from one of the Things. You can probably find it in the archives if you are interested.

Caroline

Thanks Caroline, I'll trot down to the SOS tomorrow to get the info (fortunately, there's an office right here in Niles) Being from Norway, I'm quite used to snow and (rein)deer and moose and other things getting in the way of my summer driving :-)

(We both stay up waaaaaaaay too late - perhaps it's a Michigan trait..? )

Good night for now!

Eiolf
Old Jun 4th 2003, 7:07 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Hey you two Things! Congratulations on being together at last! And I am sure Boston and Phoenix will soon be the Best of Pals
Thank you for the cat details - my daughter may bring her cat too at some point and has been worrying about it!

May you continue to enjoy those simple things in life

Debbie
Old Jun 4th 2003, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by thing2
To anyone still waiting... It will come and it will be good

One last thing, where is this Michigan summer I've heard lots about ? I hear there's been a heatwave back in Blighty !

Hey isn't it a good feeling when you know you don't have to go back, and you can be a normal couple.

As for your summer, I guess its gone to the same place the Maryland summer went.

Congratulations,

Rob
Old Jun 4th 2003, 5:23 pm
finally home with thing1

Default Re: congrats!

Originally posted by Noorah101
Congratulations to The Things! I'm sure the smiles haven't left your faces for a second! :-)
They sure haven't
Originally posted by Noorah101 OK, I have to ask....can we hear the story on how the kittie and doggie came to be known as Boston and Phoenix? Especially since I'm in Phoenix...LOL....please? :-)
Roflmao. Boston's name came about by accident. He is black with white socks. I was thinking of the Boston Whitesox (basketball ? baseball ?) but kind of knew that Boston are actually the Redsox. However Boston seemed to suit him well. Thing1's first dog was Rio (meaning River in spanish). 'Phoenix' came about in honor of River Phoenix.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.