Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Desperately Seeking Support

Wikiposts

Desperately Seeking Support

Old Apr 3rd 2010, 5:08 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Desperately Seeking Support

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
I quite fancy Phoenix myself, but I've not even been there yet!
Great in the winter, but blooming hot in the middle of summer ( upto 120F)
Today low 80's.

There is growing British Community here and British food seems to be more available these days with the Fresh and Easy stores popping up.

San Diego has greater weather but costs and an arm and a leg.

Depends what you are looking for, what do you do to relax?:

shades_smile
Old Apr 4th 2010, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Drew.Dean
Great in the winter, but blooming hot in the middle of summer ( upto 120F)
Today low 80's.

There is growing British Community here and British food seems to be more available these days with the Fresh and Easy stores popping up.

San Diego has greater weather but costs and an arm and a leg.

Depends what you are looking for, what do you do to relax?:

shades_smile
I'm in Mississippi with horrible, horrible humidity in the summer and high temps (not quite that high), I think I'd take your temps over the humidity, they say your dry hot weather is not as bad as our humidity, but "they" might not be telling the truth!
Old Apr 4th 2010, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Mississippi with horrible, horrible humidity in the summer and high temps (not quite that high), I think I'd take your temps over the humidity, they say your dry hot weather is not as bad as our humidity, but "they" might not be telling the truth!
The high heat in Phoenix is nowhere near as bad as it sounds; I went through my first summer there last year and it's quite bearable. I'm not saying you can go out and run around during the day, but - the summer nights are 'perfect' - you can sit outside at 9pm and there are NO bugs! You have to shift your outdoor activities to early morning or late evening for a few months. I've spent 25+ years in California, which has what I'd call 'near perfect' weather, but Phoenix is much, much better weather-wise from October through May. California (bay area, away from the coastal fog) has about 40% humidity in the summer; Florida, the south, and the east coast have about 80% humidity; Phoenix has about 15% humidity - makes all the difference in the world. Biggest issue with Phoenix is that, as a city, it's a disaster - no 'downtown core' to speak of (not one you'd want to live in or visit), and it's one big spread-out place. The attraction of Phoenix lies in some of the nicer suburbs (I'm in Scottsdale), and the proximity to mountains/lakes (which surprised me!).

I'd still recommend California as the best place to live, but - the Phoenix area has some kick-ass suburbs with house prices scraping the bottom of the barrel, so it's a good place to go if you are on a tight budget. I just bought a great condo (3 bed/2ba, 1300 sq. ft) in an upscale neighborhood for $150k. That wouldn't buy a driveway in any desirable part of CA!

To the OP - it really depends on your job skills, and desires. Can you work 'anywhere', and does your product or service have a ready market anywhere? If you can truly live/work 'anywhere', I'd say consider the Pacific North West if you can tolerate rain, California if you can afford it, Arizona if you hate rain and can appreciate the desert, and New Mexico if you don't mind cooler weather but still overall dry. To me, PNW is too similar to UK; the 'Southwest' is so radically different, I find it very appealing.

Last edited by Steerpike; Apr 4th 2010 at 5:49 am.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
The high heat in Phoenix is nowhere near as bad as it sounds; I went through my first summer there last year and it's quite bearable. I'm not saying you can go out and run around during the day, but - the summer nights are 'perfect' - you can sit outside at 9pm and there are NO bugs! You have to shift your outdoor activities to early morning or late evening for a few months. I've spent 25+ years in California, which has what I'd call 'near perfect' weather, but Phoenix is much, much better weather-wise from October through May. California (bay area, away from the coastal fog) has about 40% humidity in the summer; Florida, the south, and the east coast have about 80% humidity; Phoenix has about 15% humidity - makes all the difference in the world. Biggest issue with Phoenix is that, as a city, it's a disaster - no 'downtown core' to speak of (not one you'd want to live in or visit), and it's one big spread-out place. The attraction of Phoenix lies in some of the nicer suburbs (I'm in Scottsdale), and the proximity to mountains/lakes (which surprised me!).

I'd still recommend California as the best place to live, but - the Phoenix area has some kick-ass suburbs with house prices scraping the bottom of the barrel, so it's a good place to go if you are on a tight budget. I just bought a great condo (3 bed/2ba, 1300 sq. ft) in an upscale neighborhood for $150k. That wouldn't buy a driveway in any desirable part of CA!

To the OP - it really depends on your job skills, and desires. Can you work 'anywhere', and does your product or service have a ready market anywhere? If you can truly live/work 'anywhere', I'd say consider the Pacific North West if you can tolerate rain, California if you can afford it, Arizona if you hate rain and can appreciate the desert, and New Mexico if you don't mind cooler weather but still overall dry. To me, PNW is too similar to UK; the 'Southwest' is so radically different, I find it very appealing.
That'd do it for me!
I just get eaten alive here, but I hate having to wear bug spray all the time so it does impact my gardening activites somewhat.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 6:09 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The high heat in Phoenix is nowhere near as bad as it sounds; I went through my first summer there last year and it's quite bearable. I'm not saying you can go out and run around during the day, but - the summer nights are 'perfect' - you can sit outside at 9pm and there are NO bugs!
For some strange reason your arrival in the valley stopped the real monsoon last summer -- storms with humidity. It's usually worse.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
For some strange reason your arrival in the valley stopped the real monsoon last summer -- storms with humidity. It's usually worse.
But almost EVERYONE I spoke to there loves the short monsoon season in August! They all missed it last year. After MONTHS of no rain, I was really looking forward to the storms. I did see a few - they are AWESOME! Perfectly dry as you drive along the road; spectacular fork-lightening in the sky all around; then a massive downpour that is like nothing you've ever seen ... then dry again. One night, we went to a restaurant with big windows just so we could watch the lightening. It was dry on entering; torrential downpour while we ate; then dry by the time we left.

If I can make it through this summer, I'm almost definitely going to sell the CA home and buy something nicer in Scottsdale. Excluding the need for healthcare, I could probably quit working if I move there. Of course, then I really need to be sure I can cope with the summers since I won't have a job to keep me indoors! I'm going to look at properties in Flagstaff as a summer escape.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JGJ
I'd like to thank everyone that has responded to my post. I feel revived already.

What are the real advantages of citizenship?

Sorry to hear about your situation!
the main advantage to citizenship is that it gives you options.
If you decide to move back to the UK for a couple of years then decide to come back to the US to live, you've got no immigration hassles.

Oh... and I've lived in NW Georgia for the last 3.5 years..... I love the climate (Not too humid at all..... just lovely long summers!)
The cost of living is reasonable here.... property prices are great at the moment!

Last edited by mamasue; Apr 4th 2010 at 11:58 am.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Forget Colorado, we have snow.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

We need more postings like this? showing true courage when things are not going well. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Well my 2c worth

Same kinda situation won't go into all the details but I was alone out here and stuck it out, and I am so pleased that I did, this is my home and I am proud to live in the US infact I have just filed for my Citizenship

I think you have to ask yourself "what do I have to go back to in the UK"?
and "I have been given an opportunity to live in a country that some folk would give their right arm for, should I at least give it a go"?

I know when I was alone out here I did not know where or who to turn too, but I think I must of had a guardian angel.

Personally given your situation I would say give it a go at least until you get your citizenship.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but people can Ski!!!!!!
Originally Posted by Boiler
Forget Colorado, we have snow.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 4:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That'd do it for me!
I just get eaten alive here, but I hate having to wear bug spray all the time so it does impact my gardening activites somewhat.
Is that because of the snakes, lizards, scorpions etc?
Old Apr 4th 2010, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Life and climate is good here in the Monterey Bay, CA. Job outlook is variable depending on your field, and the cost of living is probably higher than Ohio.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Is that because of the snakes, lizards, scorpions etc?
Nah, the bears and the wildcats ate all the scorpions and snakes
Old Apr 5th 2010, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by henryh
Life and climate is good here in the Monterey Bay, CA. Job outlook is variable depending on your field, and the cost of living is probably higher than Ohio.
Understatement of the century!

I just flew into Phoenix from the Bay Area yesterday, after a week in the Bay Area. It was raining hard at SFO; it was 74 degrees in Phoenix at 6pm. We drove to a restaurant and sat outside at 8pm and it was 'perfect'. Not bad for early April! I think it rained every day in the Bay Area ... at least there won't be a drought this year!
Attached Thumbnails Desperately Seeking Support-scottsdaleweather20100405.jpg  

Last edited by Steerpike; Apr 5th 2010 at 5:12 am.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Understatement of the century!
Monterey Bay extends from Santa Cruz to Monterey and both of those cities plus a few in between are very expensive. Many of the other towns in between are reasonably priced but still more expensive than Ohio.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.