Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Desperate retailers

Wikiposts

Desperate retailers

Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate retailers

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
My 2008 Elantra was made in Korea I believe. I think it is only the Santa Fe and Sonata that are made in Alabama. Just out of interest why do you prefer the Elantra? we were thinking about the Sonata but decided not too as I only wanted a little run around to go back and forth to work.
Both my GM and Chrysler vehicles are dreadful. I used to have a Honda and I drove that in to the ground.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I've always had a predisposition to Honda, but I rented an Elantra couple of times and quite liked it. I'd consider purchasing one, when we're in the market for a car again. Unless the quality and specs improve, I'll never buy a car from the Big 3. Patriotism be damned, I want great value, and good specs for my money.

How did we go from 'excess spam in my inbox' to cars?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:54 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13

Maybe somebody needs to start a thread about cars instead?

Tracy, tell them to get back on the topic
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I've always had a predisposition to Honda, but I rented an Elantra couple of times and quite liked it. I'd consider purchasing one, when we're in the market for a car again. Unless the quality and specs improve, I'll never buy a car from the Big 3. Patriotism be damned, I want great value, and good specs for my money.

I get maybe 3 spams a week???? But then I don't shop online.

I loved my Honda, took good care of it too, so I guess it loved me back. But I have a Chrysler mini van (for toting the 6 people around in) and that thing was a mistake. All the 'perks' have since broke and they are too expensive to fix. I replaced the Honda with a Jetta and I love that too, its like a little tank.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Reminds me of British Leyland, and looked what happened.

Needs to go under, average wage cost for the getting smaller 3 is $70 something, compared to $40 for the others, no way you are ever going to be able to compete with that costs differential. Even assuming comparable products.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Nov 12th 2008 at 8:59 am.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Maybe somebody needs to start a thread about cars instead?

Tracy, tell them to get back on the topic
Who me?

Who died and made ME the boss of them?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
We need the US auto manufacturers to be up and optional. They need to cut their profit margins and end their perk systems so that jobs remain in the US. Those jobs help fuel the economy and bring money to the government's coffers. If they fold it is opened that they are bought out and made optional by foreign auto manufacturers.

Throwing money at dinosaurs like GM does nothing in the long run except waste a lot of taxpayers money. This is all very reminiscent of what happened in the late 60's/early 70's in the UK when the government threw money at British Motors (or whatever it was called at that point) in an ultimately vain attempt to keep it afloat.

Edit: Boiler beat me to it!
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Throwing money at dinosaurs like GM does nothing in the long run except waste a lot of taxpayers money. This is all very reminiscent of what happened in the late 60's/early 70's in the UK when the government threw money at British Motors (or whatever it was called at that point) in an ultimately vain attempt to keep it afloat.

Edit: Boiler beat me to it!
Well we agree, perhaps we are just showing our age as well......
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Midway announced another $75M loss for quarter and haven't spun a profit since 1999...they have to go under pretty soon, already culling loads of jobs after a high up resigned, as part of "opimisations"...meh...If Viacom/Disney had the money, EA and THQ would be good bargains to pick up on the cheap right now....so potentially could be good for some people...
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:08 am
Account Closed

Mervyn King, the Bank's governor, said the economy would shrink by 2 per cent next year, with the downturn hitting those working in the managerial, services and financial sectors.

He said "the world had changed" in the wake of the global financial crisis and that "people should be concerned" about the difficult times ahead.

Analysts warned that whereas in the recessions of the early 1980s and 1990s, when manufacturing and manual workers were the hardest hit, the recession of 2009 would impact particularly badly on households dependant on the "white collar" professions.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 3:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janek66
Both my GM and Chrysler vehicles are dreadful. I used to have a Honda and I drove that in to the ground.
Never had a Chrysler but have always had GM cars, Chevy to be exact and never had any issues with any of them, not sure why so many seem to have problems, but they all lasted years with no major issues.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Analysts warned that whereas in the recessions of the early 1980s and 1990s, when manufacturing and manual workers were the hardest hit, the recession of 2009 would impact particularly badly on households dependant on the "white collar" professions.
Particularly disturbing to read, since both my OH and I are 'white collar' professionals. I'm not above flipping burgers or becoming a Wal-mart greeter though, if the worst happens.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:46 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janek66
As for the auto makers, they have been ignoring the general trend from around the world for years and years. I haven't heard any of the terms of the bailout yet but I hope that it has some serious strings attached.

What do you mean? What are the trends around the world?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:48 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Shaven muffs ..try to keep up ...
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Smaller more efficient vehicles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.