Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Desperate retailers

Desperate retailers

Old Nov 10th 2008, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Desperate retailers

Is it just me, or do we seem to be bomarded by even more ads now than usual?

Seems my email is always full of "buy this - great discounts" adverts, a lot more than I am used to.

I suppose we can't blame them - they're desperate for sales. But like many others - I'm not desperate to spend bunches of money just now, and I'm tired of having to constantly delete ads.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 2:32 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate retailers

Originally Posted by Tracym
Is it just me, or do we seem to be bomarded by even more ads now than usual?

Seems my email is always full of "buy this - great discounts" adverts, a lot more than I am used to.

I suppose we can't blame them - they're desperate for sales. But like many others - I'm not desperate to spend bunches of money just now, and I'm tired of having to constantly delete ads.
As you probably know I work in the Grocery industry and the privately owned small stores are really finding it hard I have had 3 close in 2 weeks within a 20 mile radius,and all my other stores are running AD's at the moment but remeber its the time of year also to increase volume.
We have a big fashion store here called Mervyns that has been open since 1949 just filed chapter 7 and this morning Circuit City filed chapter 11 its scary.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
As you probably know I work in the Grocery industry and the privately owned small stores are really finding it hard I have had 3 close in 2 weeks within a 20 mile radius,and all my other stores are running AD's at the moment but remeber its the time of year also to increase volume.
We have a big fashion store here called Mervyns that has been open since 1949 just filed chapter 7 and this morning Circuit City filed chapter 11 its scary.
It is sad. For many things, I really do like the small retailers.

I agree, it is the time of the year - but it's just seemed a bit extra to me somehow. But, perhaps I'm mistaken.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 2:36 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Awww I loved shopping at Mervyns.
I've noticed they all seem to be running these doorbusters during certain hours. More so than usual. I got Dd carters PJ's for $7.99 a pair down from $24 a pair in J C Penney and Dh two pair of jeans buy one get one for 99c. I'm amazed at the sales.
Now I need to watch for trousers for me at Kohls.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 2:42 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Awww I loved shopping at Mervyns.
I've noticed they all seem to be running these doorbusters during certain hours. More so than usual. I got Dd carters PJ's for $7.99 a pair down from $24 a pair in J C Penney and Dh two pair of jeans buy one get one for 99c. I'm amazed at the sales.
Now I need to watch for trousers for me at Kohls.
Mervyns are being sneaky I have a store card with them or did lol they won't accept them anymore as off the 31st of October....anyways they have done the dirty because the prices are not correctly reflected, ie they are putting the original prices higher then they were in the beginning and then putting the discount on, I have caught this a few times I bought 2 throw rugs for the sofa original $24 each, 1 month ago, they were in the sale for $9 now they are $14
Old Nov 10th 2008, 2:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I like JC Penney's for kids clothes and two weeks ago I left for the mall across the Hudson from me at 7:30 a.m. because of a sale on children's clothing. I finished off shopping for the holiday for the grandkids and grandnephew. Loved the Arizona brand clothes being buy one and get the second of 88 cents. However, I don't see that the sales are any better than last year just that they appear to be almost ongoing.

Alas, this Xmas will be a poor one as Jim and I have talked it over and decided not to buy for each other this year. We will just do Xmas stockings and the girls and us have decided to draw a name from a hat and just buy one nice gift for that person and nothing for anyone else in the extended family with the exception of the kids.

One daughter decided not to return to work after the baby was born because it didn't make sense to pay for childcare which would only leave her $300 a month out of her monthly salary. The other daughter's husband is in real estate and that has taken a nose dive. For us, the large loss in our retirement fund and DH looking at retirement in June has made us very aware of our incoming/outgoing expenditures.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 2:56 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Keep your eye on the black Friday Ads ...

http://bfads.net/

http://www.blackfriday.info/
Old Nov 10th 2008, 2:59 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Gunshops are doing very well.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
I like JC Penney's for kids clothes and two weeks ago I left for the mall across the Hudson from me at 7:30 a.m. because of a sale on children's clothing. I finished off shopping for the holiday for the grandkids and grandnephew. Loved the Arizona brand clothes being buy one and get the second of 88 cents. However, I don't see that the sales are any better than last year just that they appear to be almost ongoing.

Alas, this Xmas will be a poor one as Jim and I have talked it over and decided not to buy for each other this year. We will just do Xmas stockings and the girls and us have decided to draw a name from a hat and just buy one nice gift for that person and nothing for anyone else in the extended family with the exception of the kids.

One daughter decided not to return to work after the baby was born because it didn't make sense to pay for childcare which would only leave her $300 a month out of her monthly salary. The other daughter's husband is in real estate and that has taken a nose dive. For us, the large loss in our retirement fund and DH looking at retirement in June has made us very aware of our incoming/outgoing expenditures.
My Mum said that her and her brothers used to get a stocking with an orange in WOW pity we are not all that easily pleased these days hey!!

I love JCPenny just opened an account with them, to replace the old Mervyns card
Old Nov 10th 2008, 3:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My Mum said that her and her brothers used to get a stocking with an orange in WOW pity we are not all that easily pleased these days hey!!

I love JCPenny just opened an account with them, to replace the old Mervyns card

Be careful with the JCP card. They just raised their normal interest rate to 22% I use mine and pay it off in full each month.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
Be careful with the JCP card. They just raised their normal interest rate to 22% I use mine and pay it off in full each month.
Really interesting thanks for the tip
Old Nov 10th 2008, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Linens and Things, Hollywood Video and Steve & Barrys have all gone into chapter 7 or 11 in recent months. This is likely just the start. Pier One look like they're on the precipice, as does Ann Taylor. Companies that own the malls where these kind of stores proliferate are also going to be in trouble.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

We will be just getting a few things for our son, daughter and SIL. My Mum said not to get her anything. The rest of them either won't get anything or something quite small. Postage isn't getting any cheaper either to mail to the UK. I don't really like using Amazon or any of the other web sites for shopping.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Linens and Things, Hollywood Video and Steve & Barrys have all gone into chapter 7 or 11 in recent months. This is likely just the start. Pier One look like they're on the precipice, as does Ann Taylor. Companies that own the malls where these kind of stores proliferate are also going to be in trouble.
I heard circuit city too?
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:23 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Whats the difference between a chapter 7 and a chapter 11 then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.