Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Desperate retailers

Wikiposts

Desperate retailers

Old Nov 12th 2008, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate retailers

Originally Posted by Tracym
Yes, the media isn't the whole problem, obvously - but I do think they are contributing to it.
Absolutely, they always do, especially now they don't have elections to rattle on about endlessly
Old Nov 12th 2008, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janek66
Absolutely, they always do, especially now they don't have elections to rattle on about endlessly
The fundamental problem is lack of credit - for businesses, consumers etc. Both the UK and the US have overwhelmingly credit driven economies. You can hardly blame the media for the fact that the banks are in such a mess from past lax lending that they are now unwilling to lend. That's the reason, for example, GM car sales are the lowest per-capita since '45: most people buy cars with a loan and they simply can't get one at the moment.

From the Federal Reserve today:

[The Department of the Treasury, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, and the Federal Reserve] expect all banking organizations to fulfill their fundamental role in the economy as intermediaries of credit to businesses, consumers, and other creditworthy borrowers. Moreover, as a result of problems in financial markets, the economy will likely become increasingly reliant on banking organizations to provide credit formerly provided or facilitated by purchasers of securities. Lending to creditworthy borrowers provides sustainable returns for the lending organization and is constructive for the economy as a whole.
In other words "please, please lend".

Last edited by Giantaxe; Nov 12th 2008 at 5:59 am.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:06 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The fundamental problem is lack of credit - for businesses, consumers etc. Both the UK and the US have overwhelmingly credit driven economies. You can hardly blame the media for the fact that the banks are in such a mess from past lax lending that they are now unwilling to lend. That's the reason, for example, GM car sales are the lowest per-capita since '45: most people buy cars with a loan and they simply can't get one at the moment.
Of course, now GM and Ford are jumping on the bailout bandwagon and asking for help for their own mismanagement. Some might say that a company that keeps full size truck production running at capacity when gas prices are accelerating, doesn't deserve help for it's stupidity.
I heard a local GM and Ford dealer yesterday, he was whining on tv that if everyone bought American they wouldn't have a credit lending problem because all the jobs would be safe and people would have more money to spend. Of course that's nonsense, and in reality, one would have to say that if the makers like GM had not been so complacent over the last 3 years, and had produced better spec'd, better looking and more fuel efficient cars, like the japanese makers have, then maybe they wouldn't be so deeply in the trouble that they're in now.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Of course, now GM and Ford are jumping on the bailout bandwagon and asking for help for their own mismanagement. Some might say that a company that keeps full size truck production running at capacity when gas prices are accelerating, doesn't deserve help for it's stupidity.
I heard a local GM and Ford dealer yesterday, he was whining on tv that if everyone bought American they wouldn't have a credit lending problem because all the jobs would be safe and people would have more money to spend. Of course that's nonsense, and in reality, one would have to say that if the makers like GM had not been so complacent over the last 3 years, and had produced better spec'd, better looking and more fuel efficient cars, like the japanese makers have, then maybe they wouldn't be so deeply in the trouble that they're in now.
Wonder what will happen now that gas is 1/2 price?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:14 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well, they'll get over it
Hope so.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:14 am
Banned

Wonder what will happen now that gas is 1/2 price?
You know what? I wondered that too.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

All car makers are seeing their sales plummet. Having said that I have no sympathy for GM for all the reasons you outline. They've been compalcent for 30 years, not 3 years, hiding behind congressional lobbyists in resisting the move towards more fuel efficient vehicles. Personally I would be happy to see them go bust. This is a little tangential, but I have always said that it will take the bankruptcy of a major American company for the country to realize that tying healthcare to employment is a bad idea for both employees and employers. Maybe GM's bankruptcy would be that watershed moment.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
All car makers are seeing their sales plummet. Having said that I have no sympathy for GM for all the reasons you outline. They've been compalcent for 30 years, not 3 years, hiding behind congressional lobbyists in resisting the move towards more fuel efficient vehicles. Personally I would be happy to see them go bust. This is a little tangential, but I have always said that it will take the bankruptcy of a major American company for the country to realize that tying healthcare to employment is a bad idea for both employees and employers. Maybe GM's bankruptcy would be that watershed moment.
According to the nightly business report yesterday, GM could be bankrupt by the middle of next year. The way the big 3 are hemorrhaging money like they are, it would be pretty surprising if one of them didn't go bust.
I'd feel sorry for the workers, and the towns they live in would suffer too, I suppose that's what the bailout is going to try and help. I'm not in favour of the people running the show getting a helping hand, when they should really be getting a kick up the ass for their crap management, but the ordinary workers... that's a different story.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:41 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Ed Shultz had some compelling arguments yesterday for why the US can NOT afford to lose the auto industry.

It's about the last bastion of manufacturing here for one thing.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

don't shop at Macy's when you want a bargain?
I would have thought that was self evident

So the moral to that story is......?
The point of my reply was in response to Janek66, I am not surpised they are in trouble and closing stores. If you are not competitive you can't really expect the business.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I have a Macy's card and when I lived in Illinois the Macy's there was always having decent sales and bargins but the one's here in California are unbelievable expense...
Maybe they are all that way? I have 2 local to me and they always seem expensive.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Maybe they are all that way? I have 2 local to me and they always seem expensive.
I'm in Illinois, and I never find anything I want at Macy's. Seems over-priced and under-good. I used to go to Fields once in a while, but after Macy's bought them, they really seemed to go downhill.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:50 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US

I've been shopping there almost exclusively for the last 7 months and find their clothing to be well priced and love their many sales where I can walk away with a $50 item for $15.99.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:50 am
Banned

Originally Posted by meauxna
Ed Shultz had some compelling arguments yesterday for why the US can NOT afford to lose the auto industry.

It's about the last bastion of manufacturing here for one thing.
I understand his argument, but my point was that if someone goes bust through not reading market conditions, and general bad management, then the directors of those businesses deserve nothing from it.
Whether people agree, or don't agree with bailing them out, is personal opinion.
I'd hate to see workers diss'd for spending 30 years in a plant and not even getting retirement that they paid into, but sometimes that's life. Wrong as it is.
If people in charge make bad business decisions in a small business, then they go down the pan, and don't get a government bailout, if a big enough company makes a bad decision for years on end, they get government help, at the tax payers expense? Seems wrong somehow.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now, somebody else get up here and have a go
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:52 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Rete
I've been shopping there almost exclusively for the last 7 months and find their clothing to be well priced and love their many sales where I can walk away with a $50 item for $15.99.
Maybe that's because nobody sensible would ever pay 50 bucks for them to start with?

Sounds like you're a bargain hunting cost cutter, you sure you don't want a job with GM?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.