Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Desperate to make the move to USA now I'm 30 and "grown up!"

Desperate to make the move to USA now I'm 30 and "grown up!"

Old Jul 2nd 2013, 9:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate to make the move to USA now I'm 30 and "grown up!"

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
My husband is taking a 3 week vacation at the end of this month ...... I thought it interesting when he told me what his current manager had told him after he approved his request, that he'd never known anyone to take that long of a vacation...
One of my colleagues takes a three week vacation most years.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
One of my colleagues takes a three week vacation most years.
Well we have lived here 9 years and this will make the third trip back to the UK for us. Every time he's taken pretty close to/or 3 weeks. But this is the first time with the new company he works for...

If it were me, it would have made me nervous for my manager to say something like that, regardless if I were confident of how hard I worked. But not my husband who feels he worked for it, he's going to take it.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Well we have lived here 9 years and this will make the third trip back to the UK for us. Every time he's taken pretty close to/or 3 weeks. But this is the first time with the new company he works for...

If it were me, it would have made me nervous for my manager to say something like that, regardless if I were confident of how hard I worked. But not my husband who feels he worked for it, he's going to take it.
I've always found it very easy to work in the Silicon Valley. I came to work and left when I desired, took time off when desired, and if the time off wasn't official vacation time, it was never reported to HR. I also had some very good people working for me that could do whatever they wanted to do (work at home, not show up for work, start work at noon, take long vacations, etc.) since I totally trusted them to get a project done correctly on schedule.

I suspect others that are underachievers are under a great deal of stress.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Hannah83 is a jewel in the roughHannah83 is a jewel in the roughHannah83 is a jewel in the roughHannah83 is a jewel in the roughHannah83 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Michael
I'm not sure what that means. Not everyone has the luxury of only moving when a company will guarantee expatriate benefits and a high life style. Many (including Brits) move to third world countries because of their dream and some remain there for life.

I'm not referring to Brits but anyone that has a dream. The dream my not be what was envisioned but at least they tried. Life is too short to regret not trying.
Well said Michael. I'm glad some of us have inspiration and fire in our belly to try something that scares us otherwise life would be full of very dull people.

And Sally - how can you infer that I know nothing about the states - you, know nothing about me. And "her" or "she" also known as Hannah (mannered really don't cost anything) also has enough intelligence to not "plug away" and waste my time in something that I didn't believe in enough not to work.

In fact, I've just come home from my 12 hour day to find several emails including one from my journalism friend in LA with some very positive feedback.

I am certainly intelligent enough to knowthat the grass isn't always greener.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 10:04 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

My company wouldn't dream of letting someone have 3 weeks in a row - and none of the staff would dream of asking for it.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 10:05 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
They are free at the point of use.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 10:08 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by Hannah83
Well said Michael. I'm glad some of us have inspiration and fire in our belly to try something that scares us otherwise life would be full of very dull people.

And Sally - how can you infer that I know nothing about the states - you, know nothing about me. And "her" or "she" also known as Hannah (mannered really don't cost anything) also has enough intelligence to not "plug away" and waste my time in something that I didn't believe in enough not to work.

In fact, I've just come home from my 12 hour day to find several emails including one from my journalism friend in LA with some very positive feedback.

I am certainly intelligent enough to knowthat the grass isn't always greener.
Ignore Sally, she's debbie downer, you'll easily pick up an L1 visa or something along those lines with the right attitude and ambition. The UK's gone to the dogs with far too many immigrants suckling on the welfare teet, time to get out sharpish.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 10:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

And "her" or "she" also known as Hannah (mannered really don't cost anything)
You do know that most people don't use their real name as their username on a public forum?! Sally wasn't being rude, she probably just assumed it was your dogs name or something!

Believe it or not, my real name isn't Ms Christmas Oompa.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

Hannah83 is a jewel in the roughHannah83 is a jewel in the roughHannah83 is a jewel in the roughHannah83 is a jewel in the roughHannah83 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The point is, we don't know what OP's dream is.

My perception is that people usually think they will be richer if they move to the US. Perhaps I am doing her a terrible disservice in assuming this.
Yes Sally, I'm afraid you are totally wrong! I hate materialistic lifestyles - hence my three week holiday road tripping instead of a shiny new kitchen. My sentimental treasures from India ipduring my time reporting n the tsunami to my silly collectible s from USA. My title car that gets me in my hour and a half journey to work everyday and costs £300 a month to run and my basic little cottage kitchen. I want to explore, travel, see the world. We're only here once - I intend living out my dreams and fantasies and being lucky enough to share it with the man I love. I thrive on meeting new people and becoming friends. I love my friends from all around the world - you have no idea. This is something I am so passionate about, if I don't at least try it I'll end up looking back on my life and regretting it. If it doesn't work - so what!? I've got peace knowing I've tried.

I see a lot of sad stories spin my job with cancer patients and am humbled almost everyday - I just want to enjoy life while I am lucky enough to have my health and be able to have the courage to take risks. Life is far too short.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 10:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
The UK's gone to the dogs with far too many immigrants suckling on the welfare teet, time to get out sharpish.
Yes, damn those pesky immigrants eh?!
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

Sorry about the typos!!!!! iPad fingers :-s I'm sure you can work it out
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Ignore Sally, she's debbie downer, you'll easily pick up an L1 visa or something along those lines with the right attitude and ambition. The UK's gone to the dogs with far too many immigrants suckling on the welfare teet, time to get out sharpish.
Debbie downer! Hilarious! Everyone is entitled to their opinions I suppose but thanks that cheered me up!
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 10:32 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Is it important for this person to have 5 or 6 weeks holiday time (6 weeks is what my husband had when we left) or will a bog standard of a week do for you? Do you like being able to walk into a doctor's surgery and not have to worry about the bill when you leave? And what about guns? This is a biggie (well to me!) How will you feel if you're out and about shopping at your favorite mall and a gunman who's armed to the teeth and feeling like a little notoriety, decides to go target shooting...

But on the flip side, a lot of people just get on with life and adjust to the differences. There is no green grass, that's for sure. One isn't better than the other, it's different. But who can decide for someone their life will be better or not?
Nobody can decide for anyone that their life will be better here or there, most people can't decide that for themselves. But many people who "dream" of moving discover, after they have moved, it was just a dream. Reality is very different.

Maybe none of these things are important to the OP, or maybe they are just things she hasn't considered. However, when you are trying to force a life change to chase after a dream, you need to consider these things that you take for granted. Before we moved, I figured I wouldn't miss a 2 week vacation every year because we could have weekends away in Tahoe and NPs, and long weekends to New York or Seattle... 'cos that's happened so many times

Originally Posted by Michael
That may possibly be something you are imagining. Many in the Silicon Valley don't take a lot of vacation since they love their jobs but many others take long vacations. I've been a manager with several companies and never refused anyone their vacation. It has never been the amount of time off they took but more their work habits. It is hard for a manager to not frown when a person who is an under performer and then takes a long vacation prior to the end of a critical project and his/her task is behind schedule.
You're obviously very lucky then, as most people we know in Silicon Valley don't take vacations due to a) not possible due to deadlines, b) only getting 10-15 days vacation a year, c) fear of being sacked if they ask for a 2 week vacation, let alone taking it

When my hubby took 2 weeks off, 2 years ago, when we had to get our visas renewed while in England, his boss sent an email around saying he was going on a "sabbatical." He works a minimum of 11 hours most days, not to mention the extra hours at home on his laptop/cell, and could use a vacation.

You can tell how much his company values "vacations", he has one project due in July, and one in August. His next is due at Christmas. So that wipes out vacation in June/July/August and December, very useful when you have a kid in school.

He loves his job, but believe me he's pissed off that he can't take a week off to relax with his family over the summer. Given the chance, I know which he would do.

Last edited by N1cky; Jul 2nd 2013 at 10:36 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 10:35 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Sally, I'm afraid you are totally wrong! I hate materialistic lifestyles - hence my three week holiday road tripping instead of a shiny new kitchen. My sentimental treasures from India ipduring my time reporting n the tsunami to my silly collectible s from USA. My title car that gets me in my hour and a half journey to work everyday and costs £300 a month to run and my basic little cottage kitchen. I want to explore, travel, see the world. We're only here once - I intend living out my dreams and fantasies and being lucky enough to share it with the man I love. I thrive on meeting new people and becoming friends. I love my friends from all around the world - you have no idea. This is something I am so passionate about, if I don't at least try it I'll end up looking back on my life and regretting it. If it doesn't work - so what!? I've got peace knowing I've tried.

I see a lot of sad stories spin my job with cancer patients and am humbled almost everyday - I just want to enjoy life while I am lucky enough to have my health and be able to have the courage to take risks. Life is far too short.
If that's a true summary of you. DO NOT MOVE TO LA, it has nothing you say you like.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
You're obviously very lucky then, as most people we know in Silicon Valley don't take vacations due to a) not possible due to deadlines, b) only getting 10-15 days vacation a year, c) fear of being sacked if they ask for a 2 week vacation, let alone taking it

When my hubby took 2 weeks off, 2 years ago, when we had to get our visas renewed while in England, his boss sent an email around saying he was going on a "sabbatical." He works a minimum of 11 hours most days, not to mention the extra hours at home on his laptop/cell, and could use a vacation.

You can tell how much his company values "vacations", he has one project due in July, and one in August. His next is due at Christmas. So that wipes out vacation in June/July/August and December, very useful when you have a kid in school.

He loves his job, but believe me he's pissed off that he can't take a week off to relax with his family over the summer. Given the chance, I know which he would do.
Maybe I was for about 35 years. During that time I only had one boss that was a complete jerk and another that was a semi jerk. Even when I worked for a Japanese company that had all kinds of rules such as a fixed starting hour and no telecommuting, we just ignored their rules.

Sometimes you have to place a value on yourself and good employees and just ignore your bosses. If you are an overachiever, what is your boss going to do? Fire you and work with underachievers who don't perform very well and seldom work more than a 40 hour week?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.