Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dental insurance that covers braces for kids in CA

Dental insurance that covers braces for kids in CA

Old Jun 18th 2021, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dental insurance that covers braces for kids in CA

Hi,

Has anyone got health insurance that covers or has covered the cost of braces for children in California ? And if so, which companies?

We're being hooked up with Kaiser Permanente and it doesn't seem to mention coverage from what i've read.

Many thanks
Old Jun 18th 2021, 8:19 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dental insurance that covers braces for kids in CA

Originally Posted by Mic1
Hi,

Has anyone got health insurance that covers or has covered the cost of braces for children in California ? And if so, which companies?

We're being hooked up with Kaiser Permanente and it doesn't seem to mention coverage from what i've read.

Many thanks
congrats! I recall all your posts about L1, E, O1 etc, which visa did you end up moving over on? I assumed no one was getting visas at the moment!

Can’t help with CA, but here in CT we have separate dental insurance and have the kids added to that. Although I have seen mention of children’s dental on some ACA plans.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Most insurance plans I had in the past (Aetna/Blue Shield/Anthem etc) had a dental plan, but none of them covered more than $1,500 in any one year. (that covered all types of dental treatment - no specific amount for braces)

If you want dental coverage you usually have to contact the insurance company and get separate quote.

Below is a Kaiser application form which includes 'optional' dental:

https://wa.kaiserpermanente.org/stat...pplication.pdf

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Jun 18th 2021 at 9:11 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

One that somebody else pays for, usually an Employer, otherwise it is money going around in circles.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 9:51 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Most insurance plans I had in the past (Aetna/Blue Shield/Anthem etc) had a dental plan, but none of them covered more than $1,500 in any one year. (that covered all types of dental treatment - no specific amount for braces)

If you want dental coverage you usually have to contact the insurance company and get separate quote.

You make it sound like that’s a low number, I have a private delta dental plan, and the coverage per covered person is $1500 in year one and rises to $2000 in year 3. Those limits are pretty normal from I have seen at Delta and Guardian employer plans that are not bargain basement.

For a few years I had dual coverage with Delta, my work policy and another from my wife’s. I had a bunch of NHS work to replace and spaced it over 3-4 years and even with dual coverage I paid $3-5k on top of the insurance, I also was paying the difference between the max plan rate for a treatment and what the dentist charged. I assume some of that was the NYC premium and having a view of St Patrick’s cathedral from the chair… but I feel like dental is more transactional than medical… the fee for each thing is in the $100’s to $1-1.5k.. but when you add them all up it can get expensive. I have not needed one but believe root canals are even more expensive.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 12:27 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

It is always worth asking a dentist if they will reduce the fees if you pay cash. Most will do so as the credit card fees take a chunk anyway.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
You make it sound like that’s a low number, I have a private delta dental plan, and the coverage per covered person is $1500 in year one and rises to $2000 in year 3. Those limits are pretty normal from I have seen at Delta and Guardian employer plans that are not bargain basement.

For a few years I had dual coverage with Delta, my work policy and another from my wife’s. I had a bunch of NHS work to replace and spaced it over 3-4 years and even with dual coverage I paid $3-5k on top of the insurance, I also was paying the difference between the max plan rate for a treatment and what the dentist charged. I assume some of that was the NYC premium and having a view of St Patrick’s cathedral from the chair… but I feel like dental is more transactional than medical… the fee for each thing is in the $100’s to $1-1.5k.. but when you add them all up it can get expensive. I have not needed one but believe root canals are even more expensive.
I think that paying for a dental plan and it only covers up to a max of $1,500 in any one year is pretty poor value.
I pay cleaning at $150 a pop, a simple filling is approx $300, a crown is anything between $800 and $1,200 and a root canal can set you back $1,500. It soon adds up if you have anything apart from a clean or a filling. Personally, as a private individual paying for my own insurance, i could never see the point of paying $70 a month for dental insurance when it was only going to pay for $1,500 worth of treatment max.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 2:33 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Many thanks
As others have mentioned, you can get partial coverage. My employer's group plan with Cigna had some, I think it was 1,500 lifetime benefit for orthodontistry. The cost was considerably more, but dentists are use to this and arranged a monthly payment plan.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
congrats! I recall all your posts about L1, E, O1 etc, which visa did you end up moving over on? I assumed no one was getting visas at the moment!

Can’t help with CA, but here in CT we have separate dental insurance and have the kids added to that. Although I have seen mention of children’s dental on some ACA plans.
Thanks TNT, it's going through on an O1 in the end, been difficult though, really difficult. We were aiming at end of this year but with no interviews going on, i bet 2nd quarter of next year is more likely.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

Thanks SDG, Yep, with the quote we're sitting on with KP, it's $1500. It's funny though as my 12 year could have had braces about a year ago but one of her on one side, her fang tooth is really slow at coming through and have to wait for that to grow before the ortho says she can kick off. I keep willing it through before we go :-)
Old Jun 19th 2021, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
One that somebody else pays for, usually an Employer, otherwise it is money going around in circles.
I'm a member (shareholder) of the company so our CPA has me up as paying for the health insurance but it's 100% deductible so no real difference, Looking at $28,000 PA though, it's madness but no deductibles and a max of $8000 out of pocket. The USA's health system certainly is an eye opener.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
It is always worth asking a dentist if they will reduce the fees if you pay cash. Most will do so as the credit card fees take a chunk anyway.
Good point but i imagine that equates to no receipt and no record of the work ever being done. Therefore, heaven forbid if something went very wrong either after the work, where would you stand legally?
Old Jun 19th 2021, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
As others have mentioned, you can get partial coverage. My employer's group plan with Cigna had some, I think it was 1,500 lifetime benefit for orthodontistry. The cost was considerably more, but dentists are use to this and arranged a monthly payment plan.
When i google cost of braces in California, on average it's coming up as costing around $6-8000 per kiddie but it also claims that with insurance, that would be reduced by circa 50%. Not according to our quotes.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 1:27 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Good point but i imagine that equates to no receipt and no record of the work ever being done. Therefore, heaven forbid if something went very wrong either after the work, where would you stand legally?
Why would you think that? It's a legitimate cash transaction, not something off the books and under the table. You just write a check or take bills out of your wallet instead of your credit card -- as if you were buying your groceries with cash instead of on credit.

Last edited by Nutmegger; Jun 19th 2021 at 1:30 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2021, 1:28 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

No, not at all. Cash doesn't mean 'under the table'. I wrote checks, or even cheques, for example, to cover what the insurance didn't. Orthodontists keep extensive records like every other medical practitioner, for their medical needs and their own protection.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.