Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Delicious bread in SC

Delicious bread in SC

Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Delicious bread in SC

For those of you that miss good bread, I have just discovered that piggy-wiggly supermarket in SC sells a delicious non-sugar loaded loaf they call "English toaster bread". A small loaf is $3.50 but actually tastes very much like bread in the UK!

Thought I would pass on the news....
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:55 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Delicious bread in SC

I don't suppose anyone knows where to get a Scottish 'morning roll' or M&S white batch loaf (soft and floury).

Why I torture myself with these food threads I don't know I never think of these things till someone brings up a Tesco, bacon, sausage thread

*not you OP.. just brought back memories of UK bread
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Nigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really nice

Hey Irn-bru, I just spent the morning breaking down a side of pork to make my own back bacon.

It's not that hard, let me know if you want to try it?
Attached Thumbnails Delicious bread in SC-side-pork.jpg   Delicious bread in SC-bacon-pre-cure.jpg   Delicious bread in SC-cured-uk-bacon.jpg  
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nigs
Hey Irn-bru, I just spent the morning breaking down a side of pork to make my own back bacon.

It's not that hard, let me know if you want to try it?
Now thats dedication!!!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

Nigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really nice

This is the reason I started doing this, the product is overpriced but the shipping over night is a killer.

http://www.karlehmer.com/index.asp?P...AILS&Zip=75248

So for a pound of bacon it costs $52.21

It cost me $62.00 for the pork, $7.00 for the salt and sugar, $3.00 for the bags to cure it in. A good deal as far as I am concerned, even with my time (About 1 hour) and I got all these other bits too.

Take half of one pig.
Remove front and hind quarters.
This equal about 29 lbs of pork.
Break it down into the sections.
As follows:-
2 baby back ribs 2.75 lbs
3 sides of American Bacon 5.75 lbs
1 trimmed pork fillet .75 lbs
4 sides of UK bacon (Not Canadian, there is fat and it is dry cured not cooked and sliced)
1 Bacon roast 2.5 lbs
Diced pork for stews and casseroles 3 lbs

Cost $1.99 lb
After bones and skin etc removed raised the cost to $2.69 lb
Attached Thumbnails Delicious bread in SC-pork-fillet.jpg   Delicious bread in SC-yum-yum.jpg  
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

blimey....that's still a bit of effort...and a lot of freezer space...
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

True but it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Good!!!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

This is the reason I started doing this, the product is overpriced but the shipping over night is a killer.

It cost me $62.00 for the pork, $7.00 for the salt and sugar, $3.00 for the bags to cure it in. A good deal as far as I am concerned, even with my time (About 1 hour) and I got all these other bits too.

Take half of one pig.
4 sides of UK bacon (Not Canadian, there is fat and it is dry cured not cooked and sliced)
1 Bacon roast 2.5 lbs

Cost $1.99 lb
I'm even more amazed!!!!!!!!!!! Are u a butcher by trade?????????
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

No, I used to be a chef, we are the worst butchers EVER!
But, it really is easy. Even if you screw up the cutting and don't have a clean cut you will just have a little more stew meat. Just cut away the fat and you are good to go.
If you don't feel able to do it you can get a butcher to do it for you. They just need to know what you want.
I'll photoshop a picture for you to show them.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

Pre order pink salt here

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index....x&cPath=237_12

Get at 3 or more packets to get a better buy. You'll use one pack for the whole side. Wait for delivery and then it's time to shop.

Go to an Asian store, find out when they get their deliveries and speak to the head butcher.
My one took me into the cooler to ensure he knew what I wanted.......Between my Welsh to English and his Chinese to English there were a few strange looks!

Look at the pork. It should be slightly moist, if it looks like it was sweating them don't buy it. Light pink, any blood should be bright.

Point to the base of the front leg and the top of the rear leg to show the area you need.

Show him the cut you need and HAGGEL!

I got him down to $1.99 for the whole side, originally he quoted me $2.99 (still a great deal!)

Now, once you have it cured, add to the bread from the piggy-wiggly and enjoy the best bacon sandwich for YEARS!!!
Attached Thumbnails Delicious bread in SC-pork-ribs.jpg   Delicious bread in SC-de-boned-pork-ribs.jpg  
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
For those of you that miss good bread, I have just discovered that piggy-wiggly supermarket in SC sells a delicious non-sugar loaded loaf they call "English toaster bread". A small loaf is $3.50 but actually tastes very much like bread in the UK!

I think something like that is frequently around called English Muffin Bread.

If it's what I'm thinking about - needs to be toasted, it isn't nice right from the pkg.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:46 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Pre order pink salt here

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index....x&cPath=237_12

Get at 3 or more packets to get a better buy. You'll use one pack for the whole side. Wait for delivery and then it's time to shop.

Go to an Asian store, find out when they get their deliveries and speak to the head butcher.
My one took me into the cooler to ensure he knew what I wanted.......Between my Welsh to English and his Chinese to English there were a few strange looks!

Look at the pork. It should be slightly moist, if it looks like it was sweating them don't buy it. Light pink, any blood should be bright.

Point to the base of the front leg and the top of the rear leg to show the area you need.

Show him the cut you need and HAGGEL!

I got him down to $1.99 for the whole side, originally he quoted me $2.99 (still a great deal!)

Now, once you have it cured, add to the bread from the piggy-wiggly and enjoy the best bacon sandwich for YEARS!!!

that looks fantastic and I'm drooling..but can I ask a question...what is the actual joint name that you need to ask for?...I've asked for "the back joint" and they just look at me totally confused..

I just need to know what the "American term" is so I too can have lovely bacon..
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:14 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Take half of one pig.
1 Bacon roast 2.5 lbs

Cost $1.99 lb
How are you going to store all this pork? Do you have a chest freezer?
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:14 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill

Ah, Piggly Wiggly. There's none near me but I think I went to one in the Charleston area. It was a scuzzy kind of grocery store but I had to go in 'cos of the name.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:18 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by lisag8070
that looks fantastic and I'm drooling..but can I ask a question...what is the actual joint name that you need to ask for?...I've asked for "the back joint" and they just look at me totally confused..

I just need to know what the "American term" is so I too can have lovely bacon..
Hopefully this page will help:
http://www.askthemeatman.com/hog_cut...tive_chart.htm

Once you find a butcher, it should be easy to buy the pork you need because NC is a barbecue state where pig pickings are popular (have you been to one yet?).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.