Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Definitive best POE

Definitive best POE

Old Sep 20th 2013, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

wuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nicewuthering is just really nice
Default Definitive best POE

Right, let's see if we can get a list of the best POEs. Which is faster, slower, friendlier - whatever.

I expect there will be a lot of 'it depends on...' notes, but if we can stick to actual entries, whether yours or friends' entries, that would be great. This way maybe we can get a few solid leads for all parts of the country.

Plus, it might be fun to see if someone, say, went hours out of their way just to get a guaranteed easy entry, or if someone found the friendliest officers or best decorated POE!

If you had a really bad experience, please mention it; I don't want you to have to relive the bad feelings, but it all adds to the knowledge!
Old Sep 20th 2013, 10:52 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Definitive best POE

Are we talking about when entering on an immigrant visa?

If so I was very happy with ATL. Taken out of the general visitor line when my packet was recognised and whisked to a queue just for new immigrants. 2 people ahead of me - was through and with my wife in less than 20 minutes after stepping off the aircraft.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

I have only entered the US once and that was for my sister-in-laws wedding in 2007 .... I entered via Newark.

The couple ahead of me in the queue were German and the admitting CBP officer didn't seem to be in too happy of a mood. He looked at their I-94 and shouted "YOU HAVE MISSED A LINE! WHY HAVE YOU NOT FILLED THIS IN! BACK OF THE QUEUE!" ... it was a really long queue and they did as they were told.

So I went forward slightly nervously - the guy looked at my I-94 and said not as loudly "Where is your wife?" I said "err, she is american, over there" (pointed) and then he yelled and pointed "OK, GO!". I scooted!

Think I may try a different POE next time ...

That being said .... see my post below ;-)

Last edited by hoffage123; Sep 20th 2013 at 12:57 pm. Reason: Just to add context
Old Sep 20th 2013, 12:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wuthering
Right, let's see if we can get a list of the best POEs.
Quite simply, the "best POEs" are the ones that do preclearance in the country of origin. You will know, without a doubt before you get on the plane, whether or not you'll have issues when the plane lands in the US. As for every state-side POE, it's a lottery.

This way maybe we can get a few solid leads for all parts of the country.
To what end? Even if 100 people say they had a good experience at ATL, it doesn't mean you or anyone else will. Further, those who alter their travel plans because they think they'll have an easier time with US immigration at a specific POE, are just setting themselves up with a false sense of security. Entry to the US has nothing whatsoever to do with the POE and everything to do with the person travelling. If we can teach people to be less stupid then we might get somewhere!

This is about as useful as the myriad timeline threads! None of it has any real bearing on an individual's situation.

Ian
Old Sep 20th 2013, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Quite simply, the "best POEs" are the ones that do preclearance in the country of origin. You will know, without a doubt before you get on the plane, whether or not you'll have issues when the plane lands in the US. As for every state-side POE, it's a lottery.

To what end? Even if 100 people say they had a good experience at ATL, it doesn't mean you or anyone else will. Further, those who alter their travel plans because they think they'll have an easier time with US immigration at a specific POE, are just setting themselves up with a false sense of security. Entry to the US has nothing whatsoever to do with the POE and everything to do with the person travelling. If we can teach people to be less stupid then we might get somewhere!

This is about as useful as the myriad timeline threads! None of it has any real bearing on an individual's situation.

Ian
I think the best way to approach this is just to go in with the most positive attitude you have at whatever POE you land in, make sure you have your documentation prepared, and thick skin to hand in case you need it. That should overcome 99% of the problems that crop up.

Oh and as my mum always says - be polite, but always get the name and number of the officer afterwards (just in case) lol.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 12:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Are we talking about when entering on an immigrant visa? ....
I'd be happy to respond, but like cs asked, are you immigrating or just visiting? The two are very different questions that warrant different answers.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 12:44 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

What's "best"? My husband waited over 3 hours in Houston when he arrived as a CR-1, but the actual handling of his file took little more than the time to pass it back and forth and make sure nothing was missing. He wasn't hassled or anything.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Not only is this an impossible thread, it's in the wrong forum!

What specifically does it have to do with marriage Based Visas and not general immigration?
Old Sep 20th 2013, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was thinking that too (I had tried to respond to the original post but then thought it wasn't really relevant)... mods maybe it could be moved to the Trailer Park as it seems to be a more general type thread?
Old Sep 20th 2013, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I have entered the US by air through a total of five POEs, here is my ranking:

1) Nassau, Bahamas (VWP). Friendliest, most laid-back CBP officer ever. Working in the tropics must agree with them.

2) Dublin, Ireland (LPR). Fast and friendly, again being stationed outside the US seems to have a good effect on CBP.

3) JFK, NY (VWP, Immigrant, LPR). In general never too long a wait, and LPRs have their own dedicated lane. CBP officers generally friendly and efficient, especially the guy who processed my immigrant visa there. Loses points for the palaver of getting our cat processed through customs - I had my IV processed in about 10 minutes total - took a couple of hours of back and forth to get the cat released!

4) Boston Logan, MA (VWP). Lines sometimes long and officers sometimes a bit on the grumpy side.

5) Philadelphia International Airport, PA (VWP). The POE from hell. Waits of several hours in hot rooms with seemingly no air con. Only POE I've ever had more than the usual "purpose of visit" questions at.

I've also entered by land as an LPR at Niagara Falls, NY, walk-up, and at Rouses Point, NY by train and both were totally painless, apart from having to wait an hour or so for CBP to process the train. Roll on pre-clearance at Montreal!
Old Sep 20th 2013, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Cadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
I had an unusual entry last year when I was visiting my girl i came into LAX on the VWP with... Wait for it ... no return ticket - simply because I didn't kwan where I would be leaving to.
Surprise surprise, I was sent to secondary questioning; a delightful chap informed me that regardless of my situation I was required to reserve an onward journey. So I sat with my iPad to resolve the situation.
No so easy it would seem, a few frustrating hours & many many websites later - the payments page kept freezing & subsequently crashing on me. He called me back to check how I was progressing. I told him & demonstrated my frustrations, he frowned then stamped my 90 days & a stern "You must leave the States before your 90 days ....."
I missed my onward flight but was relieved just to be allowed in!
Old Sep 20th 2013, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

The best one is the one that lets you in.

Too many variables, what other flights arrive the same time as yours, weather, mood of the officer, color of your skin, is it a Monday, ...
Old Sep 20th 2013, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I've come in several times on various immigrant statuses.

Came in to JFK on a K-1 visa. Very long wait in secondary immigration but no complications. The room was very full of people waiting.

Came in to Boston Logan on an IR-1 (I think). We were the only people in secondary immigration. We waited about 10 minutes.

I also once came in to Seatac on Advance Parole while still on a K-1 and the immigration officer tried to deny me entry to the country on the basis that my documentation had all been issued in Connecticut therefore I should only be allowed to fly into the US via New York. I repeatedly told him I thought that was incorrect and eventually he let me in.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light

Best was probably Toronto

Most unusual was Honolulu when returning from a 6 week vacation and still a permanent resident travelling on a UK passport. The immigration officer asked how long how I had been gone from the US and I immediately answered with how long I had been away from home on vacation. The immigration officer said she only counted 5 weeks and I realized I had spent 1 week in Hawaii before continuing to the South Pacific but I had answered based on how long I had been away. When I explained she bellowed at the top of her lungs 'Sir, don't you know that Hawaii is part of the US'.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light

Best was probably Toronto

Most unusual was Honolulu when returning from a 6 week vacation and still a permanent resident travelling on a UK passport. The immigration officer asked how long how I had been gone from the US and I immediately answered with 6 weeks as that is how long I had been away from home on vacation. The immigration officer said she only counted 5 weeks and I realized I had spent 1 week in Hawaii before continuing to the South Pacific but I had answered based on how long I had been away. When I explained she bellowed at the top of her lungs 'Sir, don't you know that Hawaii is part of the US'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.