Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Deed poll while in the US - new passport

Deed poll while in the US - new passport

Old Aug 15th 2018, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

consultated is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Deed poll while in the US - new passport

Hi everyone, I'm a dual citizen and wish to change my UK name to match that of my other nationality and get a new UK passport (having matching names will make it easier as I travel to Europe avoiding non-EU lines, etc). I'm currently in the US, and have been using my other nationality name while here. I've been doing some research and have come to the conclusion that the only requirement is to have the deed poll witnessed by a notary public (in addition to 2 witnesses) in the US and that plus the rest of the passport application requirements (other documents such as education records, bills, etc under the "new name") is sufficient. All of this based of ""deed poll service"" websites...
Has anybody done this before and can confirm?
Since the passport office does not require an enrolled deed poll I will not be following that route.
Old Sep 8th 2018, 3:18 am
Just Joined

consultated is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Deed poll while in the US - new passport

Replying in case anybody faces a similar situation in the future. I used an free online template for the deed poll, went to my bank to see a notary with my 2 witnesses (free of charge for being a client), shipped the original deed poll certified by the notary + the required supporting documentation and got my new passport in 1 week time.