Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Decent Indian Curry in Dallas???

Decent Indian Curry in Dallas???

Old Jul 30th 2013, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

patemaan will become famous soon enough
Default Decent Indian Curry in Dallas???

Hello,

I have been in USA for a while and now in Dallas, is there anywhere I can get a decent curry and lamb shiesh kebabs .

I miss the UK indian food... I have tried lots of restaurants but can't find anywhere decent to have a curry especially lamb.

help!!!
Old Jul 30th 2013, 4:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decent Indian Curry in Dallas???

I suspect that, as Mrs P and noticed with Chinese restaurants, US "Indian" restaurants may be significantly different from UK "Indian" restaurants (many of which are Pakistani. )
Old Jul 30th 2013, 9:19 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I suspect that, as Mrs P and noticed with Chinese restaurants, US "Indian" restaurants may be significantly different from UK "Indian" restaurants (many of which are Pakistani. )
It doesn't help the OP much because I'm many miles north of him, but as far as being different; there is an Indian restaurant not far from my house that is really quite good and not so different that one would notice much.

Not as much variety in the types of rice that one would normally expect and not as wide a range of actual currys but they do the job as far as taste goes. I had a bloody nice vindaloo, if a little on the mild side.

On a completely different note, I actually quite like US Chinese food
Old Jul 30th 2013, 9:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
...... On a completely different note, I actually quite like US Chinese food
So do I, except that there is too much dämn broccoli in it!
Old Jul 30th 2013, 11:06 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

So do I, except that there is too much dämn broccoli in it!
I don't mind the broccoli that much. Better than bloody peas, that's for sure.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 11:09 pm

I don't mind the broccoli that much. Better than bloody peas, that's for sure.
I'd forgotten that you have an issue with peas, but I like them, more so than broccoli, which, I can take or leave.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:02 pm
I have a comma problem

I'd forgotten that you have an issue with peas, but I like them, more so than broccoli, which, I can take or leave.
I only have an issue with them when they're on my plate. The rest of you are welcome to them ...

What I used to hate was the practice (this is possibly just a Belfast thing) of using them in a Chinese curry. One of the benefit buildings I worked in had curry day on Thursdays and it was a decent curry except I had to spend five minutes picking all the bloody peas out of it to render it edible
Old Jul 31st 2013, 4:06 pm

I only have an issue with them when they're on my plate. The rest of you are welcome to them ...

What I used to hate was the practice (this is possibly just a Belfast thing) of using them in a Chinese curry. One of the benefit buildings I worked in had curry day on Thursdays and it was a decent curry except I had to spend five minutes picking all the bloody peas out of it to render it edible
I know lots of people have their dislikes, some I understand, but I don't get having a pea hangup. I'm not in the best position to try to understand though, as I will eat almost anything that western cuisine puts on a plate. I wouldn't choose horse meat, but I'll take just about any part of a pig, lamb, or cow you can put on a plate, except for the brain. I would have thought peas were unremarkable, without a strong flavour or an unusual texture. My sister hated them as a small child, but grew out of it when she was five.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 4:15 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

The best Indian (and Pakistani) restaurants in Texas are here in Houston, where there is a huge Indo-Pak (that's an OK word to use, right?) community. This doesn't stop my husband from being visibly and vocally shocked that he can't get curry and chips there or at the top-class Chinese restaurant we went to last night.

Curry and chips? I seem to have missed this while I was in the UK. Not that I'm exactly grieving.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Speedwell
.... Curry and chips? I seem to have missed this while I was in the UK. Not that I'm exactly grieving.
I understand, I didn't "get" the curry and chips thing either!
Old Jul 31st 2013, 7:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

I always used to have chips with my curry. Especially the big fat chips from the Chinese.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 11:42 pm
I have a comma problem

I know lots of people have their dislikes, some I understand, but I don't get having a pea hangup. I'm not in the best position to try to understand though, as I will eat almost anything that western cuisine puts on a plate. I wouldn't choose horse meat, but I'll take just about any part of a pig, lamb, or cow you can put on a plate, except for the brain. I would have thought peas were unremarkable, without a strong flavour or an unusual texture. My sister hated them as a small child, but grew out of it when she was five.
They take up valuable room on the plate that could be used for meat, chips our a proper vegetable like sprouts.

Curry chips (only works with a Chinese style curry) are the dog's bollocks.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 3:00 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Curry chips (only works with a Chinese style curry) are the dog's bollocks.
Just when I think there is no hope for you, you say something that redeems you. However, at the Chinese restaurant I used to go to, I'm fairly certain the sweet and sour beef was literally dog's bollocks.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by zargof
Just when I think there is no hope for you, you say something that redeems you. However, at the Chinese restaurant I used to go to, I'm fairly certain the sweet and sour beef was literally dog's bollocks.
When there's bollocks to be discussed we can always rely on you to show up, because if there's one thing you're good at, it's talking bollocks!
Old Aug 1st 2013, 9:59 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

I'm subscribing to this thread for two reasons. I also like to talk bollocks, and I may be in the Dallas area before long so need to know the answer too lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.