Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Debunking U.S. Myths

Debunking U.S. Myths

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Debunking U.S. Myths

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
You think that people who are not academically-inclined yet decide NOT to drop out of high school and instead choose to stay and pass the state's requirements to graduate SHOULDN'T consider that an accomplishment? That earning a high school diploma -- especially given the odds against them and that without one they pretty much have NO future -- is NOT something to celebrate?

~ Jenney

NO,because thats the LEAST that is expected by them
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

There is a very real danger, both in the US and the UK of mistakenly believing that a college degree is some kind of passport to success. This is especially true amongst parents who never went to collage themselves and invest a college education with far more importance that it really warrants. In the US it is a myth perpetuated by the multi-billion dollar collage industry. In the UK it is a myth perpetuated by governments desperate for credibility.

As more and more students are encouraged to believe that getting your hands dirty and learning a profession is something only immigrants and dropouts do, the more demand there will be for skilled workers. Already a good plumber can earn as much as a lawyer, and yet we're still encouraging our chldren to go to university to study ANYTHING that gets them a degree.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 5:09 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dant3
There is a very real danger, both in the US and the UK of mistakenly believing that a college degree is some kind of passport to success. This is especially true amongst parents who never went to collage themselves and invest a college education with far more importance that it really warrants. In the US it is a myth perpetuated by the multi-billion dollar collage industry. In the UK it is a myth perpetuated by governments desperate for credibility.

As more and more students are encouraged to believe that getting your hands dirty and learning a profession is something only immigrants and dropouts do, the more demand there will be for skilled workers. Already a good plumber can earn as much as a lawyer, and yet we're still encouraging our chldren to go to university to study ANYTHING that gets them a degree.

I do agree with you, and I wish my oldest did become a plumber, seeing that college clearly doesn't agree with him Unfortunately he's got two left hands (and he isn't left-handed...)

Elvira
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dant3

Agreed, although I do wish I had a degree, it would make life alot easier especially getting work credibility here. Having said that if I had of gone to college when I was 16 I know I would have done some type of business studies degree...boring! I think people with trades will be better off in the long run.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 7:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Agreed, although I do wish I had a degree, it would make life alot easier especially getting work credibility here. Having said that if I had of gone to college when I was 16 I know I would have done some type of business studies degree...boring! I think people with trades will be better off in the long run.
After school at 16, there's g/nvq's that are in trades in the UK that kids can do instead of A-levels etc...not seen much of that over here on a wide scale...but where MIL teaches, the old german teacher also taught the tech class and he did welding classes for kids that weren't academic, so they would have basics in welding, so they could at least get jobs in garages, and he'd get them to a level where they could then do the test and get certified in one of the "local" community colleges...lot of the kids ended up getting jobs in bath working on naval ships, which was good money, till now...don't know if the school still does it, don't think so because he wasn't getting paid extra to do it, and the district wouldn't pay for the materials.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 10:47 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
I had my degree transcribed to a US equivalent when we moved here and it turned out my British 3 year Batchelors degree was the equivalent of a 4 year US Masters degree.

that explains why a friend of mine only managed to get a 2:2 from a crap UK uni, but got a 1st class honours masters from a top US uni

i thought it was all crap here - you've just validated my suspicion
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:29 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
that explains why a friend of mine only managed to get a 2:2 from a crap UK uni, but got a 1st class honours masters from a top US uni

i thought it was all crap here - you've just validated my suspicion

My daughter has just finished 4th grade and theyve been told they wont be doing any Technology lessons next year in order to spend more time learning cursive writing.....ffs thats really going to be handy when they grow up.

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:02 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter has just finished 4th grade and theyve been told they wont be doing any Technology lessons next year in order to spend more time learning cursive writing.....ffs thats really going to be handy when they grow up.
You're in Florida, right?

Surely you can trust Shrub's bro to get his priorities right?
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 4:27 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I'mHere
I had my degree transcribed to a US equivalent when we moved here and it turned out my British 3 year Batchelors degree was the equivalent of a 4 year US Masters degree.
That makes no sense. A 3 year Bachelor Degree is the equivalent of a 4 year Bachelor dgree. That's because in the UK we take 3 years to do a Bachelors and it takes 4 years here in the US. There is no 4 year Master Degree here.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 4:39 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
That makes no sense. A 3 year Bachelor Degree is the equivalent of a 4 year Bachelor dgree. That's because in the UK we take 3 years to do a Bachelors and it takes 4 years here in the US. There is no 4 year Master Degree here.

I meant its the equivalent of a US Masters degree due to it coming from an honours school, which in the UK would have taken me 4 years. I dont make the rules I just follow them, and if thats what it is then thats what it is.

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

whats cursive writing?
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

I meant its the equivalent of a US Masters degree due to it coming from an honours school, which in the UK would have taken me 4 years. I dont make the rules I just follow them, and if thats what it is then thats what it is.
I've been told the same thing. It took a long of wrangling, but my British BA is now considered an American MA. My USC wife finished her final (4th year) of college at some crappy ex-poly in London, but because she got honours she's a rarity in the US and everyone's falling over themselves to hire her. Apparently, honors are very rare in US college.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmals
whats cursive writing?
real writing or joined up writing
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmals
whats cursive writing?
It's when you write curses out many many times in pretty handwriting.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
It's when you write curses out many many times in pretty handwriting.
sarcy sod

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.