British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   debts (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/debts-202410/)

paul6831h Jan 13th 2004 10:23 pm

debts
 
has anyone moved over to the US and still owed debts in the UK. If so what has been the result or the concequences encounterd??

Yorkieabroad Jan 13th 2004 10:34 pm

Guess it depends what you mean by debts....I've still got a mortgage in the UK. I told the building society I was leaving, got permission to rent, and still service the mortgage properly, so no complaints from them. Or do you mean debts you want to walk away from? There have been a few threads on that subject over the last few months - try a search and see what comes up...

dunroving Jan 13th 2004 10:52 pm

Re: debts
 

Originally posted by paul6831h
has anyone moved over to the US and still owed debts in the UK. If so what has been the result or the concequences encounterd??

Try these threads:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=debt

and

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=debt

and

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=196490

- put on your crash helmet for the last one!

paul6831h Jan 14th 2004 6:36 pm

Debts
 
Thanks for the your thoughts everyone. I have recently been divorced and had to take on aloan to clear the debts which were incurred during the marriage. My Ex wife had never worked ( she was lucky)so the bdebts which were incurred were all in my name so I was liable for them after the divorce. This amounts including interest to about £50,000. I have now met someone in the US and we are currently going through the K1 process. I just wondered what the consequences would be if I did not pay any of this off, ( I know that it is morally wrong) but there is just no way that I can clear this if I were to be issued a K1. Would this have any affect on my Visa application or on any future possibility of obtaining work in the US?. I do not envisage getting a Job straight away. Would I be pursued by the US Authorities for this?

Manc Jan 14th 2004 6:38 pm

Paul we all know what the moral thing to do is.
Chances are you'll do a runner though.
I have pm'ed you about the consequences.

dignity Feb 2nd 2004 8:56 pm

Been in the US for just over a year and now on H4 Dependant visa so not working, being a house hubby/ daddy daycare!

Sometime last year, when I was up to the limit on my Barclaycard, I went slightly over due to purchasing something here and the exchange rate! My minimum payment D/D from the bank was stopped and the interest started building.

I contacted Barclaycard via email and explained that I was not working and would try and sort this out. They couldn't discuss my situation via the net, but I basically told them the story and that was that!

My father has since been subject to a couple of phonecalls and was accused of lying when he said I was in America.

I called the collection company and I admit I was angry as my father is elderly and this upset him somewhat. A heated conversation followed and I found out I owe 908.00 GBP! I did receive a letter to this effect also.

I was told I had broken the law by not leaving a forwarding address, that a trace would be put on my whereabouts etc etc and asked to provide a breakdown of expenditure, which I emailed to them. I gave my address and contact numbers as they still insinuated that I was lying and believed that I was in the UK.

I have offered to pay this back quite rapidly as I expect to be working very soon...my question is...what happens now? What can I do? What can they do?

Thanks in advance.

Diggers

jemetpl Feb 2nd 2004 9:14 pm

They have broken Office of Fair Trading guidelines by discussing your debt with your father and it's worth mentioning a complaint about themto the OFT and to the Trading Standards department in your father's town. They are also probably in breach of the Data Protection Act.

Duncs Feb 2nd 2004 11:04 pm


Originally posted by dignity
Been in the US for just over a year and now on H4 Dependant visa so not working, being a house hubby/ daddy daycare!

Sometime last year, when I was up to the limit on my Barclaycard, I went slightly over due to purchasing something here and the exchange rate! My minimum payment D/D from the bank was stopped and the interest started building.

I contacted Barclaycard via email and explained that I was not working and would try and sort this out. They couldn't discuss my situation via the net, but I basically told them the story and that was that!

My father has since been subject to a couple of phonecalls and was accused of lying when he said I was in America.

I called the collection company and I admit I was angry as my father is elderly and this upset him somewhat. A heated conversation followed and I found out I owe 908.00 GBP! I did receive a letter to this effect also.

I was told I had broken the law by not leaving a forwarding address, that a trace would be put on my whereabouts etc etc and asked to provide a breakdown of expenditure, which I emailed to them. I gave my address and contact numbers as they still insinuated that I was lying and believed that I was in the UK.

I have offered to pay this back quite rapidly as I expect to be working very soon...my question is...what happens now? What can I do? What can they do?

Thanks in advance.

Diggers
Barclaycard are wankers i had a lot of trouble with them slabbering and threatening me for months over a debt i had with them. Ultimately i resolved my debts through insolvency but i wouldnt take them too seriously, their recovery system is based around threats and hassle. They will likely pass you around a collection of people who will at turns threaten you with letters phone calls and home visits. They are very slow to actually sue you though so just try to be patient. just remember the recovery rate for bad debts on credit cards is actually around 2-3% so they make alot of noise but arent actually in a very powerful position to recover. Addin the fact you are in the USA and its gets even worse for them.

Threatening your dad is a breach of the rules so complain to the OFT. Also John McFaul MP is the chairman of the House of Commons commitee currently looking into credit cards and the issues of debts, overcharging, bad practices etc. Detail your complaints and send it to him at the House of Commons. I knew him when he was a junior minister in Northern ireland and he is really decent guy so well worth a letter.

regards,

Duncan

dignity Feb 2nd 2004 11:22 pm

They didn't actually threaten my father or discuss anything with him. They just told him that they didn't believe him!!

Thanks for your answers both of which I have taken on board!:cool:

dunroving Feb 2nd 2004 11:32 pm


Originally posted by dignity
They didn't actually threaten my father or discuss anything with him. They just told him that they didn't believe him!!

Thanks for your answers both of which I have taken on board!:cool:
A good book on the basics of dealing with debt and creditors (as well as having some good basic common sense advice on saving, investing, etc.) is "Financial Peace" by Dave Ramsey. I think it's now available in paperback.

Your situation being in the UK, I don't know how much of what he says about the legal aspects of harrassing phone calls, etc., applies to the UK, but you might get some reassurance about what he says creditors/debt collection agencies can and can't do.

UKBIGFISH Feb 3rd 2004 2:25 am

I am sure that Barclaycard considered that you were a bigger wanker for not paying them the money back that you owed them Duncan.

I feel that too many people today fail to take responsibility for their financial actions and instead of paying back what they owe cry insolvency or the like. Whilst I appreciate a risk is needed in business and life, I feel it irresponsible for gambles to be taken for which you cannot afford the loss.

What would happen to the economy of the UK and American if such casual reactions to debt were taken by everyone? Complete litigation madness and commercial mealtdown.

Do the right thing man and pay back what you owe!

Duncs Feb 3rd 2004 2:51 am


Originally posted by UKBIGFISH
I am sure that Barclaycard considered that you were a bigger wanker for not paying them the money back that you owed them Duncan.

I feel that too many people today fail to take responsibility for their financial actions and instead of paying back what they owe cry insolvency or the like. Whilst I appreciate a risk is needed in business and life, I feel it irresponsible for gambles to be taken for which you cannot afford the loss.

What would happen to the economy of the UK and American if such casual reactions to debt were taken by everyone? Complete litigation madness and commercial mealtdown.

Do the right thing man and pay back what you owe!

Go **** yourself you judgemental twat. What the **** right have you to make a judgement like that with no idea of how i found myself in that situation. i had no choice and couldnt pay it all back inside the next 20 years so i did the best and the totally legal thing and dealt with it through the legal mechanisms provided. It was no easy choice i lost everything i owned including my house but i get it all cleared and start again.

but obviously your lifes been a cake walk then and you have always met your debts. then again maybe you were born with a silver spoon in your ass so its always been easy.

prick.:mad:

JulianB Feb 3rd 2004 3:13 am


Originally posted by Duncs
Go **** yourself you judgemental twat. What the **** right have you to make a judgement like that with no idea of how i found myself in that situation. i had no choice and couldnt pay it all back inside the next 20 years so i did the best and the totally legal thing and dealt with it through the legal mechanisms provided. It was no easy choice i lost everything i owned including my house but i get it all cleared and start again.

but obviously your lifes been a cake walk then and you have always met your debts. then again maybe you were born with a silver spoon in your ass so its always been easy.

prick.:mad:
He's got a fair point....and you were doing so well too.
:rolleyes:

UKBIGFISH Feb 3rd 2004 3:25 am

Re: debts
 
No offense was meant by my posting. I have had some quite serious business cash flow problems over the years as a result of debtors inadvertently taking a gamble with my money in attempt to further themselves. Being later unable to pay debts and then claiming bankrupcy etc etc.

I appreicate that not all people find themselves in financial problems as a result of their own actions and I sympathise with anyone who finds themselves in the situation that you were in. I can tell you that I know only too well what it is like to have nothing and life has certainly been no "cake walk" for me!

It seems as if you have taken my mere generalized opinion on the matter, converted it as a judgement and placed it on yourself.

p.s.I am sure that they are able to medicate Tourette's these days.

Duncs Feb 3rd 2004 3:33 am

Re: debts
 

Originally posted by UKBIGFISH
No offense was meant by my posting. I have had some quite serious business cash flow problems over the years as a result of debtors inadvertently taking a gamble with my money in attempt to further themselves. Being later unable to pay debts and then claiming bankrupcy etc etc.

I appreicate that not all people find themselves in financial problems as a result of their own actions and I sympathise with anyone who finds themselves in the situation that you were in. I can tell you that I know only too well what it is like to have nothing and life has certainly been no "cake walk" for me!

It seems as if you have taken my mere generalized opinion on the matter, converted it as a judgement and placed it on yourself.

p.s.I am sure that they are able to medicate Tourette's these days.
Hmmm a bit better as it happens i was also self employed and a big factor in my downfall was unpaid debts to me which wiped out my cashflow while similtaneously the stock market crash wiped out my short term asset base. i got overleveraged trying to keep my head up and eventually it just couldnt be done. It was a very hard time and very destructive of my self confidence and self worth so it doesnt help when people come along and moralise about paying debts.

more reflection less judgement, as Will (from Will & Grace) says on ABC 'unless your wearing a gown and banging a gavel you shouldnt be judging anyone!!!'

regards,

Duncan


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:49 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.