British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   debts (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/debts-202410/)

Pimpbot Feb 3rd 2004 3:45 am

Re: debts

Originally posted by Duncs

more reflection less judgement, as Will (from Will & Grace) says on ABC 'unless your wearing a gown and banging a gavel you shouldnt be judging anyone!!!'

regards,

Duncan
I think you should have that in your sig, knowing that a debt thread shows up once or twice a month here Duncan. :D

stepnek Feb 4th 2004 10:34 am

Just my thoughts here. I've got a fair amount of debt that I feel morally obliged to pay back because after all I chose to use the credit to start with it. However I've found my position weakening a little on this because in all probability I've already comfortably paid back what I actually have burrowed it's just the interest that prolongs everything. So sometimes I find myself looking for a way out without paying anymore but somehow I keep on paying.

Stephen

mcjimbo Feb 4th 2004 1:47 pm

I used to work for a computer retailer in Australia.

We used to offer HP finance on all our computers, and consequently the salesperson (me) was put in charge of putting through the finance application on a computer.

Where I lived in Australia on the Gold Coast in Queensland we used to get a lot of British Expats and Americans.

Anyway some had been living in Australia for a couple of years and had fled there debts in the U.S. and UK.

When I put them through on our finance computer which was linked to GE Capital finance they got declined. When we called up to find out the reason GE listed "Outstanding balance to be paid".

It turns out that a lot of credit company’s the world over share customer information, good and bad. They are not stupid so moving country doesn't make them forget what you owe.

You can always declare bankruptcy in the country where you owe money. But the result at least in Australia is that you cannot get any credit (HP,Mortgage,Credit Cards) for 7 years at which time you can apply to have your name removed from there black list. I read somewhere recently that in America declaring bankruptcy and defaulting on your debts doesn't mean you don't have to pay them after the bankruptcy period. Apparently you will carry the debts with you for life until they are paid; I think Bush put the bill through after pressure from the various credit agencies!

Anyway just thought I’d share this with you all as I thought it was relevant.

James

Duncs Feb 4th 2004 6:19 pm

Originally posted by mcjimbo
I used to work for a computer retailer in Australia.

We used to offer HP finance on all our computers, and consequently the salesperson (me) was put in charge of putting through the finance application on a computer.

Where I lived in Australia on the Gold Coast in Queensland we used to get a lot of British Expats and Americans.

Anyway some had been living in Australia for a couple of years and had fled there debts in the U.S. and UK.

When I put them through on our finance computer which was linked to GE Capital finance they got declined. When we called up to find out the reason GE listed "Outstanding balance to be paid".

It turns out that a lot of credit company’s the world over share customer information, good and bad. They are not stupid so moving country doesn't make them forget what you owe.

You can always declare bankruptcy in the country where you owe money. But the result at least in Australia is that you cannot get any credit (HP,Mortgage,Credit Cards) for 7 years at which time you can apply to have your name removed from there black list. I read somewhere recently that in America declaring bankruptcy and defaulting on your debts doesn't mean you don't have to pay them after the bankruptcy period. Apparently you will carry the debts with you for life until they are paid; I think Bush put the bill through after pressure from the various credit agencies!

Anyway just thought I’d share this with you all as I thought it was relevant.

James
nice to know they are so flagrantly breaking the uk law by sharing confidential customer information under the data protection act.

still i have yet to ask for any credit so i will see how true this is soon enough.

regards,

Duncan