Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Debt from the UK

Debt from the UK

Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Debt from the UK

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Mustn't like me i suppose
Aww...I'm sure its just jealousy 'cos you are living in the land of the free.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Mustn't like me i suppose
Sorry mate but Barclaycard know I'm here too and they don't give a toss either.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:24 am
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rompers
Sorry mate but Barclaycard know I'm here too and they don't give a toss either.
LloydsTSB here...A ok with me
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:33 am
Just Joined

Dessert dweller is just really niceDessert dweller is just really niceDessert dweller is just really niceDessert dweller is just really niceDessert dweller is just really niceDessert dweller is just really niceDessert dweller is just really niceDessert dweller is just really niceDessert dweller is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
It's come up in the past, so you might get lucky and find it doing a search...

technically, I don't think they can do much, but it'll wreck your credit history if you ever go back to the UK and not a great start in the US...

Thanks for your help, I did a search and have read previous postings but none of them seem to deal with 'can the UK debt be recovered through US courts' I'd like to make it very clear that I want to pay this debt off, but this information would be useful in my negociations with the bank.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:34 am
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dessert dweller
Thanks for your help, I did a search and have read previous postings but none of them seem to deal with 'can the UK debt be recovered through US courts' I'd like to make it very clear that I want to pay this debt off, but this information would be useful in my negociations with the bank.

no need to have leverage...they will be happy to do this ...better some than none being their policy
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:34 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Aww...I'm sure its just jealousy 'cos you are living in the land of the free.
Yes - guardians of the free world, where i'm not free to bet, some multinational is free to dig up my garden and israel is free to attack innocent civilians at will - dada da da da i'm lovin' it
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

I have an Egg card. After being here for about 9 months with no problems re payments they wrote to me and called my old UK number wanting to know why all transactions were US based.
I told them I had moved here temporarily for work and would be here for another year. They put a stop on the card and I immediately paid it all off bar £1.37. I make the minimum payment per month and I'm pretty sure that maintaining it is costing them more than me.
I have no intention of ever asking for the bar to be lifted or fully paying off the balance.
If you only have 1.37 on there you will pay it off in one minimum payment surely? or did i misunderstand the post?
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Arizona now, but I have some credit card debt from the UK, with a UK bank. It became a real problem paying it about a year ago as everytime I got near the limit they increased the limit, but all my money was going to pay the Credit card each month, so I used the credit card to live on. I'm not entirely blaming the bank, I was stupid to get caught in the trap. Anyway now the bank has passed this to a firm of Lawyers in the US (they are debt collectors). Does anyone know if a UK debt can be collected through the courts in the US? Thanks...

So at what point did you stop making payments - your post doesnt say that you actually missed any? To be fair I dont see how you can blame the bank at all - they didnt know you were using the card to live on and it trouble - to them if you were near your credit limit and were making payments why wouldnt they raise the limit? They would only be irresponsible if they raised it and you were in arrears.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Dessert dweller is just really niceDessert dweller is just really niceDessert dweller is just really niceDessert dweller is just really niceDessert dweller is just really niceDessert dweller is just really niceDessert dweller is just really niceDessert dweller is just really niceDessert dweller is just really nice

Originally Posted by Big D
So at what point did you stop making payments - your post doesnt say that you actually missed any? To be fair I dont see how you can blame the bank at all - they didnt know you were using the card to live on and it trouble - to them if you were near your credit limit and were making payments why wouldnt they raise the limit? They would only be irresponsible if they raised it and you were in arrears.
I accept most of the blame is mine, thats why I want to pay back as much as I can. But as much as I have made poor decisions, I think they have too. To continually raise the amount you are loaning to someone without any regard or enquiry to ensure they can repay the debt doesn't seem right. I have never had debt before, just a combination of events in my life led me to this situation, which I take very seriously.

I still cant find the info I was looking for, that is can these debts be collected through the courts here. The credit card agreement talk about the contract being governed by the laws of England and Wales. I'm wondering if they have jurisdiction in Arizona.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck DD, I really hope it all works out for you. You are not the first to end up out of your depth with credit cards and I agree that the card issuers have a lot to answer for. It is laudable that you want to pay them back.

If you are going to rely heavily on the "jurisdiction" issue then I suggest you get professional advice. You can't rely on a bunch of armchair experts (like me) on an internet bulletin board. Have you tried the UK Citizens Advice Bureau? or investigated if there is a US equivalent?
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rompers
Good luck DD, I really hope it all works out for you. You are not the first to end up out of your depth with credit cards and I agree that the card issuers have a lot to answer for. It is laudable that you want to pay them back.

If you are going to rely heavily on the "jurisdiction" issue then I suggest you get professional advice. You can't rely on a bunch of armchair experts (like me) on an internet bulletin board. Have you tried the UK Citizens Advice Bureau? or investigated if there is a US equivalent?
I have spoken to a lawyer here, but I got the feeling he had no idea! I think He's used to dealing with debt but had no experience in international debt. I have spent hours looking on the internet but can find nothing. I cant imagine a Uk court would rule on an overseas debt that was covered by US laws. I hope the reverse is true. I don't know if there is a US 'Citizens advice' but thats a good idea, I'll have a look...
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:08 pm
Junior Showtime

I have spoken to a lawyer here, but I got the feeling he had no idea! I think He's used to dealing with debt but had no experience in international debt. I have spent hours looking on the internet but can find nothing. I cant imagine a Uk court would rule on an overseas debt that was covered by US laws. I hope the reverse is true. I don't know if there is a US 'Citizens advice' but thats a good idea, I'll have a look...

Call a UK CAB as well. They will have more definitive knowledge about debt collection for overseas debtors.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

I know this isn't going to help much, but how do they know you are in the US ??
so if they didnt know where he was would this be an issue, as in would it affect his usa credit history, if he was in arrears in the uk? or doesnt it reflect on his usa history.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 1:00 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I accept most of the blame is mine, thats why I want to pay back as much as I can. But as much as I have made poor decisions, I think they have too. To continually raise the amount you are loaning to someone without any regard or enquiry to ensure they can repay the debt doesn't seem right...
Brilliant !! its their fault you can't handle money....
No !! they cannot chase you through the Courts here..
Your safe here ...of course if you ever return there may
be a warrant for your arrest ..depend on the circumstance ...

I suppose they could sell the debt to Big Louis and his
henchman ...
Old Jul 27th 2006, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

AtlantaJohn will become famous soon enoughAtlantaJohn will become famous soon enough

Yes they can go after you here but unless the debt is high (50k plus) it will be cost prohibitive for them to do so. Normally it is cheaper for them to write down the debt and get tax relief. Basically it is only worth going after your UK assets. All they will do is send nasty letters etc.

What they can do now is make a notation on you US credit record (equifax, choicepoint) as this was made legal recently with the new laws between UK and US. This will hurt your US credit. Of course this will still cost them money as they well need to get you SS number etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.