Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Death Repatriation Insurance

Death Repatriation Insurance

Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

BackandForth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Death Repatriation Insurance

Sorry, morbid one I know. I want to get everything sorted so that my wife would have minimal problems in getting back to UK if anything happened to me. Im not dying and am in good health but was just thinking about it the other day after driving home past a very nasty road accident. Anyone got any advice on good insurance policies in this area that will pay for transportation and/or any other useful advice in setting this up.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Death Repatriation Insurance

Wouldn't regular life insurance do the job?

It's just a case of having enough cash to do what she needs isn't it?
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 11:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

get yourself cremated and then you're only hand luggage...life insurance to cover the rest of the hassle of moving stuff.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 11:38 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
get yourself cremated and then you're only hand luggage...life insurance to cover the rest of the hassle of moving stuff.
I was going to say that! My MIL shipped her Mum in tupperware
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all, I think I was a little off with my original post. Not really thinking of cost solely, more of a service provider that will come in and do everything during a difficult time. Basically a call and they step in. Bit of an international funeral director I guess. SOme kind of financial insurance along with that would be good too as it saves hassle, yes life insurance is there to provide everything but how long does that take and then you have to pay all bills etc which is hassle.

Anything like that exist anyone know?

Like the call on cremation and sending ashes back, much easier. As long as family in UK were told in advance I cant see that being a problem.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BackandForth
Thanks all, I think I was a little off with my original post. Not really thinking of cost solely, more of a service provider that will come in and do everything during a difficult time. Basically a call and they step in. Bit of an international funeral director I guess. SOme kind of financial insurance along with that would be good too as it saves hassle, yes life insurance is there to provide everything but how long does that take and then you have to pay all bills etc which is hassle.

Like the call on cremation and sending ashes back, much easier. As long as family in UK were told in advance I cant see that being a problem.
Tha 'A' Team?
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 12:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Tha 'A' Team?
Hey thanks for your valuable input.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Hey thanks for your valuable input.
Think about it, what you're asking for is a little far-fetched.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 12:13 am
Just Joined

Think about it, what you're asking for is a little far-fetched.
Well thats told me then hasn't it. Fancy that, looking to be organised and provide some security for my family, ok there may not be a total service but there will be providers that operate in this space, I have come across three already. Came on here to see if anyone has any experience, ideas or other provider suggestions.

No wonder you have over 15k posts if you are happy to post when you have nothing of value to contribute.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 12:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on the state and if it's "work" related, there might be insurance if you get killed on way to work kind of thing that'll pay out on receipt of death cert, which would be pretty quick.

Life insurance also pays out very quickly generally unless you've been knocked off in mysterious circumstances.

You can pre-pay a plot at a cemetery for a stone, especially if going cremation and get info to be inscribed handed over to be put on stone when needed with just dates added...that's what I've done, but then after my brother was killed, my mother paid for it as a birthday present to me, oh yes did I jump for joy unwrapping that card

Funeral director over here will probably help out with most little details and also a call to local consulate will help out with any paper work that might be needed, especially if you don't go cremation.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 12:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Depending on the state and if it's "work" related, there might be insurance if you get killed on way to work kind of thing that'll pay out on receipt of death cert, which would be pretty quick.

Life insurance also pays out very quickly generally unless you've been knocked off in mysterious circumstances.

You can pre-pay a plot at a cemetery for a stone, especially if going cremation and get info to be inscribed handed over to be put on stone when needed with just dates added...that's what I've done, but then after my brother was killed, my mother paid for it as a birthday present to me, oh yes did I jump for joy unwrapping that card

Funeral director over here will probably help out with most little details and also a call to local consulate will help out with any paper work that might be needed, especially if you don't go cremation.

Thanks Bob, appreciate your response cheers.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well thats told me then hasn't it. Fancy that, looking to be organised and provide some security for my family, ok there may not be a total service but there will be providers that operate in this space, I have come across three already. Came on here to see if anyone has any experience, ideas or other provider suggestions.

No wonder you have over 15k posts if you are happy to post when you have nothing of value to contribute.
I'm just off to kill myself
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 12:21 am
Just Joined

I'm just off to kill myself
Don't be too hasty, I really think you will have problems in getting everything sorted out to get your body back home. I have it on very good authority.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Don't be too hasty, I really think you will have problems in getting everything sorted out to get your body back home. I have it on very good authority.
They'll have to bury my heart at Wounded Knee.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 2:01 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
a call to local consulate will help out with any paper work that might be needed, especially if you don't go cremation.
Thats what I was going to say too Bob.
Not had any experience with the consulates here (apart from that rip-off help line to India) but had dealings with the Embassy in Singapore on similar matters when a colleague was injured in an industrial accident and subsequently died. The Embassy were worse than a chocolate teapot for the 3 weeks he was in hospital, but once he died, they swung into action like the A-Team on speed and basically took over and sorted everything out. Paperwork, body shipment etc - they even managed to get the authorities to drop the need for an autopsy and managed to get the body released before the industrial accident investigation report was in. Really was a very good service from them after he died - shame the same couldn't be said while he was alive after the accident.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.