Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The death of a child

The death of a child

Old Mar 10th 2011, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The death of a child

My thoughts go out to your co-worker. I read once (years ago) that a person who loses their spouse is a widow/widower. A child who loses his parents is an orphan. But there is no word in our language to define the pain of a parent who loses their child.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 1:05 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

My son was born early and has so many, many health issues even now. We are in and out of hospitals and have become one of 'those' families everyone refers to. His compromised immune system means he gets terribly sick from infections other children shake off easily, and because he often ends up in hospitals he tends to catch those awful superbugs too (three times in the last year).

I am just so grateful he's here. He gets sick so often and so quickly that I live in fear we will lose him one day to something dreadful. I drop everything, everything, when he needs me because I know I might not get to do it forever. Then, on days like today, when he simultaneously makes me laugh, cry, yell, tickle him, throw something in despair, and praise him for learning a new trick (currently learning to stand up independently), well, then I remember he's here and he's healthy, and I am very very thankful.

My friend recently attended the funeral of a newborn, and told me about a charity who goes in to hospitals after the death of a baby and takes professional photos for the family. Their website is here, if you know someone who would benefit from their work: Now I Lay Me Down To Sleephttp://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org/
Old Mar 10th 2011, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerert
My son was born early and has so many, many health issues even now. We are in and out of hospitals and have become one of 'those' families everyone refers to. His compromised immune system means he gets terribly sick from infections other children shake off easily, and because he often ends up in hospitals he tends to catch those awful superbugs too (three times in the last year).

I am just so grateful he's here. He gets sick so often and so quickly that I live in fear we will lose him one day to something dreadful. I drop everything, everything, when he needs me because I know I might not get to do it forever. Then, on days like today, when he simultaneously makes me laugh, cry, yell, tickle him, throw something in despair, and praise him for learning a new trick (currently learning to stand up independently), well, then I remember he's here and he's healthy, and I am very very thankful.

My friend recently attended the funeral of a newborn, and told me about a charity who goes in to hospitals after the death of a baby and takes professional photos for the family. Their website is here, if you know someone who would benefit from their work: Now I Lay Me Down To Sleephttp://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org/

Honey, you made me cry. You are without doubt a wonderful wonderful mother. Lil O, you and your husband have been through so much. I hope the year gets better for you honey. Love and hugs to you all
Old Mar 10th 2011, 2:30 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Honey, you made me cry. You are without doubt a wonderful wonderful mother. Lil O, you and your husband have been through so much. I hope the year gets better for you honey. Love and hugs to you all
Aww, I didn't mean to make you cry! I'm sorry!

You're so sweet, and I'm learning to be a better mother from lovely ladies like you.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerert

I am sorry your son is so sick, it makes me very thankful that I have 3 healthy kids, with no major health issues so far. You are doing a wonderful job and hopefully as he gets older, his immunity will build up a bit better and he'll be able to cope with infections better. Try not to worry too much, although it must be hard not to, he is obvioulsy getting stronger with each passing day, so think positive. I wish you and your family a long and happy life
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:33 pm
Ginger Monkey

Originally Posted by Brat1
I am sorry your son is so sick, it makes me very thankful that I have 3 healthy kids, with no major health issues so far. You are doing a wonderful job and hopefully as he gets older, his immunity will build up a bit better and he'll be able to cope with infections better. Try not to worry too much, although it must be hard not to, he is obvioulsy getting stronger with each passing day, so think positive. I wish you and your family a long and happy life
Thanks.

On days like today you wouldn't know he has any problems anyway. He's being a typical ratbag and tearing the house apart, and I'm loving it.