Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dealing with the US consulate (derivative citizenship)

Dealing with the US consulate (derivative citizenship)

Old Mar 16th 2011, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

into_thewild is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dealing with the US consulate (derivative citizenship)

Hello,
I previously posted on this forum with regards to my possible claim to US citizenship through my father. I am currently a British Citizen.
In a nutshell, it appears I have derived US citizenship through my father. I have a british mother. I was born in the UK however my father is American (lived there his whole life) and my mother and father were married (in the USA) when I was born. My mother came to the UK while she was pregnant as she missed her family. A short itme after my mtoher and father split and my mother took me back to Scotland. I am now 24 years old.
Anyway, I have gathered all the appropriate evidence (Dad's physical presence in the US etc) the Edinburgh Consulate has requested and sent them photocopies in the mail, they have said that the evidence is sufficient and they would be writing to me to confirm an appointment date. They said they could only book the appointment by mail, which I thought was odd.
I'm wondering if anyone has been through this process before? It has been three weeks and still no letter, should I call them again to remind them? I do not want to badger them or anything, I know they are busy but I'm wondering if they've maybe forgotten about me!
Any input would be welcome.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dealing with the US consulate (derivative citizenship)

Originally Posted by Windolow
I know they are busy but I'm wondering if they've maybe forgotten about me!
At some point in time, everyone believes that the Consulate has forgotten about them. The wheels move slowly, but they do move. I wouldn't expect a letter for at least another 5 weeks.

Ian