Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Daycare: enforced nap time?

Daycare: enforced nap time?

Old Mar 25th 2013, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Daycare: enforced nap time?

According to both the previous daycare and the one in our new area, California insists on nap time for kids. DS is 5 years old and hasn't napped during the day for at least a couple of years. Does anybody else outside CA have this enforced nap time at that age? How did you get your kids to adapt if they suddenly started to have to nap again?

DS is playing up and he blames it on the 2-hour nap time. Apparently they're allowed to look at books but they have to stay on their mats generally. He's overactive and constantly needs stimulation otherwise he gets bored and starts playing up.

In his previous daycare we changed to half days to avoid nap time but can't do that anymore as we both work day times now.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all
Default Re: Daycare: enforced nap time?

Yes in FL too. But not for 2 hours, that's a bit crazy! My almost 5 year old doesn't fall asleep during nap time luckily. Think it's only for about 45 mins. My 3 year old falls asleep even though I have asked the teachers to give her lots of books to look at. They say she has to stay on her mat for 30 mins then she can get up (if she's awake).

Try to find out if 2 hr naptime is a legal requirement. If not, protest.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 12:16 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
According to both the previous daycare and the one in our new area, California insists on nap time for kids. DS is 5 years old and hasn't napped during the day for at least a couple of years. Does anybody else outside CA have this enforced nap time at that age? How did you get your kids to adapt if they suddenly started to have to nap again?

DS is playing up and he blames it on the 2-hour nap time. Apparently they're allowed to look at books but they have to stay on their mats generally. He's overactive and constantly needs stimulation otherwise he gets bored and starts playing up.

In his previous daycare we changed to half days to avoid nap time but can't do that anymore as we both work day times now.
We had major problems with this when we moved too. They wouldn't even let her sit quietly and read a book. Utterly stupid.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help at all
Old Mar 26th 2013, 12:27 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

2 hours? Who wants their children to sleep for 2 hours during the day?

I love naps. It would work for me
Old Mar 26th 2013, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

Suz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond repute

We are having problems with this too! Our 5 year old hasn't napped for over 2 years and it's causing big problems for us here. Her preschool makes all the kids nap for 2 hours, and will not even allow her to have a book to look at!

There is also a kindergarten class and I've asked if she could possibly go and sit in there while the others are napping, but have been told no, as it would set a precedent and then other parents would ask for it. I think it's ridiculous they are expecting 4 and 5 year olds to lie still for 2 hours when they're clearly not going to sleep!

However, today I looked up the New Jersey Department of Education guidelines about napping, and although it does say that all preschoolers are to lie down for a nap, it also says that if, after 30 mins they are still not sleeping, they should be offered an alternative quiet activity instead. So it might be worth checking your state's guidelines? I am going to speak to the head teacher at my daughter's day care tomorrow.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Suz16
However, today I looked up the New Jersey Department of Education guidelines about napping, and although it does say that all preschoolers are to lie down for a nap, it also says that if, after 30 mins they are still not sleeping, they should be offered an alternative quiet activity instead.
This is exactly what my kids' school told me.

In the daycare where my youngest went before she started their current preschool, they told me that the 2 year olds had to sleep for 2 hours. We hated this as she was up until 10 pm at night. Where she is now she only sleeps for 45 mins. So it can't be the law? (She was still 2 when she started where she is now.)

The OP needs to find out what the actual regulations are about this where he lives. When I was googling before about FL regulations, I was struggling to find out, it seems to be a bit of a mystery surrounding this...
Old Mar 26th 2013, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

We're in CA and asked DC to stop their naps (3 & 5) as they were getting hyper at night. They did so with no problem although I think there's still a quiet time.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slummymummy
Try to find out if 2 hr naptime is a legal requirement. If not, protest.
Protesting wouldn't help much if 23 kids do one thing and the other one gets allowed to play. I have looked up the regs and all I can find is http://www.ccld.ca.gov/res/pdf/CCCRe...Highlights.pdf which seems authentic enough as it's on a .gov website. It doesn't state a time, only that nap time is to be provided for under 5s. I read elsewhere that it was 5 or under but when you have a class of 24 kids at pre-K age then there's going to be a mix of 4 and 5 year olds anyway.

Originally Posted by N1cky
We had major problems with this when we moved too. They wouldn't even let her sit quietly and read a book. Utterly stupid.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help at all
Actually it does because I know we're not the only ones having issues!

[quote=Suz16;10623798]We are having problems with this too! Our 5 year old hasn't napped for over 2 years and it's causing big problems for us here. Her preschool makes all the kids nap for 2 hours, and will not even allow her to have a book to look at!

There is also a kindergarten class and I've asked if she could possibly go and sit in there while the others are napping, but have been told no, as it would set a precedent and then other parents would ask for it. I think it's ridiculous they are expecting 4 and 5 year olds to lie still for 2 hours when they're clearly not going to sleep!

To be fair to the school, they have conceded that he can go and join the "big kids" if he isn't going to settle down. But it's still that 10 minutes or whatever that seems to freak him out. Goodness knows why, though we did have him evaluated for ADHD - something I've always regarded with suspicion in the past - and unfortunately he sails right into every category . Too young to do anything with, except Melatonin at night to calm him down - which does work though I do have my reservations about "drugging" a kid, herbal or not.

Originally Posted by Alan17
We're in CA and asked DC to stop their naps (3 & 5) as they were getting hyper at night. They did so with no problem although I think there's still a quiet time.
Seems some daycares are more flexible than others! One of the managers is more accommodating than the other though I do think they ought to be a bit more tolerant for a kid that only started 2 weeks ago. On the one hand we can't pick him up just because they summon us; on the other hand we can't expect them to have staff on hand to catch a child that is determined to run out the door! (Though I do think it's all too easy for kids to run out the front door and in to the car park)

There is a possiblity that he could start K early - he has a December birthday anyway, which around here would mean he would be one of the oldest in the "right" year; only slightly younger in an "advanced" year. I'm not quite clear on what happens in September though, whether he would repeat the year.

Thanks everyone. It's a tough time at the moment.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 4:01 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

The same law applied when my daughter was in daycare (WA state). At 5 though the teacher just let them have quiet time, where they could chill, flip through books etc. Most of them weren't napping at that age.
Naomi.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GeoffM

yep this is one thing i just cant get my head around
Old Mar 26th 2013, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

With a ten month old in day care right now who does need his naps I was curious what the AZ regulations were. I haven't found anything definitive but did come across this that seemed to give a link to each states' child care regulations.

http://nrckids.org/STATES/states.htm
Old Mar 26th 2013, 5:02 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

My Dd stopped naps at 18months and in all day Preschool they did the 2 hour nap and she was 4. I told them she will not sleep unless she's getting ill. They used to put her by the night light in the room with a pile of books and quiet toys and she read and played quiet. Only one teacher didn't let her I had words with her and she started doing what the others did.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
With a ten month old in day care right now who does need his naps I was curious what the AZ regulations were. I haven't found anything definitive but did come across this that seemed to give a link to each states' child care regulations.

http://nrckids.org/STATES/states.htm
Thanks - the CA ones link to PDFs on a non-gov site but does appear to be the same as what I linked above.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
My Dd stopped naps at 18months and in all day Preschool they did the 2 hour nap and she was 4. I told them she will not sleep unless she's getting ill. They used to put her by the night light in the room with a pile of books and quiet toys and she read and played quiet. Only one teacher didn't let her I had words with her and she started doing what the others did.
That's probably the key, talking to the right person and working out a sensible compromise. Sometimes it will be one of the teachers because they know what the kid is like.

Though sadly it does make me think that this is why too many kids end up drugged to the eyeballs. Poorly trained teachers working to overly rigid rules. Hey, it's easier to say they have ADHD and should be drugged into submission rather than being a good teacher.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

As a non-parent, this makes me ask - if US kiddies in daycare and kindergarten are used to having a 2 hour nap time in the middle of the day, do they have a later bedtime to compensate? It sounds a bit Mediterranean/siesta like.

Or do they go to bed at the same time as UK kids too?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.