database of recommended communications with spouse

database of recommended communications with spouse

Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Eeteet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: database of recommended communications with spouse

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Hi Eeteet
Ive looked at Rebtel website - I must be reading it wrongly cos it says that calls to USA are 99p...? Any advice on this would be much appreciated! I'm off to US next month to live but want to set up my friends and family with the best way to contact me - thank you!
yes, its ZERO. 99p (0.99p) about 1 pence per minute they show it like this :

Service Price £10 gets you
Mobile 0.99p /min 1010 minutes
Fixed 0.99p /min 1010 minutes
Fixed Alaska1.32p /min 758 minutes
Mobile Alaska 13.79p /min 73 minutes
Fixed Hawaii 1.39p /min 719 minutes
Free calls Available

what happens is, you get given a local rate call number and so does the person in USA. It is more expensive for USA to UK calls though, which is why I always call my wife.

ALSO, there's a neat 'trick' or thing they do that allows FREE calls for an initial period of '5 mins'. However this is not 5 mins of talking in total, it is 5 mins of you calling USA (or them calling you, saying hello, then haninging up (we got it down to about 3 seconds)). Let me explain further:

You make the call, and a voice says 'if you want this to be a free call , ask the other person to call you back and then hang up'. So once you know the routine, you call, they answer, you say 'hello', you hang up and the other person calls their rebtel number (which is linked to yours) and you talk as long as you want for free. We used my free 5 mins and hers for about 2.5 months I think as it ONLY takes the time off for the time you connect, say hello then disconnect, so about 3-6 seconds after practice. SO you get a total of 10 mins worth of 3-6 seconds , but as long as you want free, once connected.

Hope that makes sense, if not let me know lol
Old Jan 27th 2011, 1:22 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Been looking at the website, and looks pretty good - is the sound quality OK ? I use Skype with some people, but gave up calling my old mum on it because there always seemed to be a satellite delay and/or echoback. Is rebtel better?

Also, probably a dumb question, but couldn't work out from the website...when you set up your account and get the number assigned, do you always have to call that from the same phone, or can you use the same one from your home and cellphone?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Been looking at the website, and looks pretty good - is the sound quality OK ? I use Skype with some people, but gave up calling my old mum on it because there always seemed to be a satellite delay and/or echoback. Is rebtel better?

Also, probably a dumb question, but couldn't work out from the website...when you set up your account and get the number assigned, do you always have to call that from the same phone, or can you use the same one from your home and cellphone?
The sound is pretty good, SOMETIMES get an echo but only about 10 times in last year. you can asign multiple phones to call from, and multiple numbers to call to.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 2:41 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm - sounds like it may be worth a bash....thanks
Old Jan 27th 2011, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Hmm - sounds like it may be worth a bash....thanks
Try out the free thing I described first, that can keep you going for a long time
Old Jan 27th 2011, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeteet
yes, its ZERO. 99p (0.99p) about 1 pence per minute they show it like this :

Service Price £10 gets you
Mobile 0.99p /min 1010 minutes
Fixed 0.99p /min 1010 minutes
Fixed Alaska1.32p /min 758 minutes
Mobile Alaska 13.79p /min 73 minutes
Fixed Hawaii 1.39p /min 719 minutes
Free calls Available

what happens is, you get given a local rate call number and so does the person in USA. It is more expensive for USA to UK calls though, which is why I always call my wife.

ALSO, there's a neat 'trick' or thing they do that allows FREE calls for an initial period of '5 mins'. However this is not 5 mins of talking in total, it is 5 mins of you calling USA (or them calling you, saying hello, then haninging up (we got it down to about 3 seconds)). Let me explain further:

You make the call, and a voice says 'if you want this to be a free call , ask the other person to call you back and then hang up'. So once you know the routine, you call, they answer, you say 'hello', you hang up and the other person calls their rebtel number (which is linked to yours) and you talk as long as you want for free. We used my free 5 mins and hers for about 2.5 months I think as it ONLY takes the time off for the time you connect, say hello then disconnect, so about 3-6 seconds after practice. SO you get a total of 10 mins worth of 3-6 seconds , but as long as you want free, once connected.

Hope that makes sense, if not let me know lol
Thank you Eeteet!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

chris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond repute

Been using Rebtel for the last 2-3 years. Always been great call quality, and the trick of getting the other person to hang up and call you back is awesome as you then only pay for your own call i.e off your free minutes on both ends.

Skype when we are both at home and still awake (which is not much lately) busy busy busy!!
Old Jan 29th 2011, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Vinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really nice

We use Vonage.... $14.99 a month and all free national and international calls. View and check call status on the online portal...also set up call forwarding from the phone to a mobile if you want.

We have thought this is a great deal for us and talk for as long as we like....and when we want...and wont cost us anymore than out monthly fee......and which we can cancel at anytime.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 12:50 am
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

My system for anyone to call us from the UK is:

1. Register a UK landline number with a company like DMClub, which costs about 3 pounds per month. Give that number to everyone.
2. Register a Google Voice number in the US and connect your home, work and cellphone numbers from their website.
3. Forward the UK landline number to your GV number, which costs about 5p per min for anyone who calls.

If you answer from home or work phones, it costs you very little to receive the call and probably nothing for the caller as most people with UK mobiles have free calls to landlines in their monthly landline or cellphone packages.

You never miss a call.

Our home number is through Magicjack which is a great device and all US/Canada calls are free. It costs around $20 per year to have this device.
It doesn't work well with Clear and I would imagine any other wireless ISP service, but cable and wired internet are fine.
If you travel with it, you can make/receive calls from any country/location with a broadband connection to/from US/Canada as if you were in the US.

Calling to the UK & Europe is a few cents per minute with Magicjack.

The only thing we can't get cheap is calling UK/European mobiles.

Last edited by Volt61; Jan 30th 2011 at 1:15 am.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

Posted a reply, then saw page two lol..... so nevermind

Last edited by britishspouse; Jan 30th 2011 at 1:05 am.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

hopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond reputehopeful_Mark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wgw55
We use Windows Live Messenger. With a wireless headset, I can even move around and do some chores while chatting. Free and fairly reliable.. We've even logged over 6k games of double solitaire
Who is winning?
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

mikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond repute

We have used Rebtel consistantly for the last 3.5 years and haven't paid a penny! To be able to speak to your spouse whenever you want at no cost is heaven sent really. Why anyone in a LDR(cross Atantic) doesn't use this is beyond me?!?

I have heard good things about Vonage too, but it still costs a flat fee, so why not Rebtel!