Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Customs and stuff that accompanies you

Customs and stuff that accompanies you

Old May 29th 2010, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute
Question Customs and stuff that accompanies you

Hi all

Just a quick one, and please, don't bite, I did do a search and couldn't find any reference!!

I have my shippers booked for 1 July and hopefully will give most of what's left over to them. However, there will be some things that I won't want to risk shipping e.g. my Bose docking station, family photos, jewellery. Then there will be practical day-to-day things that will need to go with me for practical reasons. Some personal electrical appliances (Nooooo no bunnies involved lol!). I know that you just have to complete the usual customs landing card, but obviously I'll probably need to do an inventory checklist to go along side it.

How detailed does that need to be? X pair of shoes @ cost approx $$$ or do I need to list everything in detail?

If anyone has a template they used then I'd be happy to see it - also if there isn't one available then based on responses, I'm happy to produce one to perhaps attach to the WIKI.
Old May 29th 2010, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customs and stuff that accompanies you

I'll e mail mine to you.
Old May 29th 2010, 3:50 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is anything that has been in your personal posessions for at least 12 months prior to entry to the US is your personal property and does not need to be declared.
Old May 29th 2010, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

It still has to be declared to clear customs but you are not liable to pay duty on it, as its personal possessions owned for more than 12 months.
Old May 29th 2010, 4:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The Departure & Travel part of this applies to you: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Immigrant_Visa_Arrival

The Customs memo you need is in there too.
Old May 29th 2010, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks T.

M. think I must be having a bit of a duhhh???? I did have a look at those pages and the Moving to etc. for first time immigrants, so I think I'm ok with the process itself, I just can't seem to get clarity on how much detail they want me to go in to.

I understand about the whole 12 month rule and cost, but can I for example lump all clothing together, do I need to specify X coats and a price or coat X, coat y, same for shoes, underwear, toiletries etc!!??
Old May 29th 2010, 6:40 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
Thanks T.

M. think I must be having a bit of a duhhh???? I did have a look at those pages and the Moving to etc. for first time immigrants, so I think I'm ok with the process itself, I just can't seem to get clarity on how much detail they want me to go in to.

I understand about the whole 12 month rule and cost, but can I for example lump all clothing together, do I need to specify X coats and a price or coat X, coat y, same for shoes, underwear, toiletries etc!!??
Page 9:

The following is an example of an invoice description.

Furniture: Tables, chairs, sofas, bedroom, home/office and living room furniture, desks, lamps, mirrors, etc.

Ours was pretty vague. "Ornaments" etc etc.
Old May 29th 2010, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks M. I think I'm just being a bit over worried about how much detail I need to go in to. Guessing some sort of value is going to be brain bustin!! Especially with all that going on in it right now - but I suppose that's not a whole lot different to what lots of others have experienced before!
Old May 30th 2010, 12:31 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
My understanding is anything that has been in your personal posessions for at least 12 months prior to entry to the US is your personal property and does not need to be declared.
That's wrong. You don't pay duty on anything you've owned for a year, but you must still declare it.

Ian
Old May 30th 2010, 12:52 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
That's wrong. You don't pay duty on anything you've owned for a year, but you must still declare it.
Yep. Also, as a US resident, you have an $800 allowance for stuff purchased abroad. So that might take care of stuff you bring with you that you've had for less than a year.
Old May 30th 2010, 3:46 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
Thanks for the correction