Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Currency Exchange

Wikiposts

Currency Exchange

Old May 13th 2006, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant future
Default Currency Exchange

Hi Folks

Any suggestions where I could get the best currency exchange rates? Basically, I'm selling my house here and exchanging the money into $ and bringing it over with me. Even a few cents difference will make a big difference.

The best place that I have found is RationalFx (http://www.rationalfx.com) who are currently $1.89 ish

Thanks Guys - Have A Great Day
Old May 14th 2006, 12:58 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Currency Exchange

Originally Posted by Chrisw1968
Hi Folks

Any suggestions where I could get the best currency exchange rates? Basically, I'm selling my house here and exchanging the money into $ and bringing it over with me. Even a few cents difference will make a big difference.

The best place that I have found is RationalFx (http://www.rationalfx.com) who are currently $1.89 ish

Well the first of their 5 Myths about International Money Transfer is total b*llocks. I changed the proceeds of my house sale with LLoydsTSB and got a rate that was as good as anything else on offer. And far easier too.

The branch called their internationasl section in Birmingham and got a quote at a good commercial rate of exchange.

So bearing in mind their first claim is untrue, I would take what ever else they claim with a pinch of salt.

Alex.
Old May 14th 2006, 1:16 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Folks

I think many people here have used XE. We did recently, for a very large sum (going the other way...) . No problems and it only took a day (though you must allow time to set up an account with them).
Old May 14th 2006, 8:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

XE seems to be the way to go, loads of recommendations from people all over the site..
Old May 15th 2006, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant
Well the first of their 5 Myths about International Money Transfer is total b*llocks. I changed the proceeds of my house sale with LLoydsTSB and got a rate that was as good as anything else on offer. And far easier too.

The branch called their internationasl section in Birmingham and got a quote at a good commercial rate of exchange.

So bearing in mind their first claim is untrue, I would take what ever else they claim with a pinch of salt.

Alex.
Same here - I went round all the Xe, Hifx etc, and Lloyds beat them all. But you must make sure that the bank puts you in touch with the international section - the folks in the branch sometimes don't know this and just attempt to quote you the tourist rate which is rubbish.
Old May 15th 2006, 2:48 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Same here - I went round all the Xe, Hifx etc, and Lloyds beat them all. But you must make sure that the bank puts you in touch with the international section - the folks in the branch sometimes don't know this and just attempt to quote you the tourist rate which is rubbish.
Better rates than xe ???
They charge less than 2% over spot.
Old May 15th 2006, 2:54 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Better rates than xe ???
I changed pounds into dollars in my Citibank accounts last week and their rate was better than XE. A lot depends on timing. XE's live rates can sometimes show a dip in the rate faster than the banks. So if a good rate declines then use the banks. If XE hits a high, grab their top rate while you can. Horses for courses.

It still doesn't make me feel any better having bought a house in Texas last month at $1.75/£ when the rate is now $1.88. That's a bitter pill to swallow. But at least my new truck is going to be 500 quid cheaper.

alex.
Old May 15th 2006, 3:00 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Folks

I use XE, it has always been better than any other method.

Never tried a major UK bank's International Department though.
Old May 15th 2006, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
XE seems to be the way to go, loads of recommendations from people all over the site..
I've used them twice in the last three weeks, the only problem I had was setting the account up!

I was surprised it only took 4 business days to get the money in my US account.
Old May 15th 2006, 3:21 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I've used them twice in the last three weeks, the only problem I had was setting the account up!

Yes, setting up the account is a bit cumbersome but I'd rather they take the time and trouble to check people out. Once the account is set up, it's easy-peasy!
Old May 15th 2006, 3:22 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey

How do you send money to xe from a UK account - do you have to wire it to them ??
Old May 15th 2006, 3:41 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

How do you send money to xe from a UK account - do you have to wire it to them ??
I just use online banking - its free with natwest

straight to their UK branch of bank of america
Old May 15th 2006, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Online wire transfer...
Old May 15th 2006, 3:44 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I just use online banking - its free with natwest

straight to their UK branch of bank of america

'free' + highstreet bank - oxymoron!

Have you checked their exchange rates?
Old May 15th 2006, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Better rates than xe ???
It probably depends on the amount - it was pretty big being proceeds from house sale etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.