Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Currency Conundrum

Currency Conundrum

Old Jan 21st 2005, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Currency Conundrum

This morning at the local supermarket, a young lady was standing at the postage stamp machine looking at the change in her hand. As I was standing behind her she tuned to me and said in a very pleasant English accent "can you help me." "Sure" I said. "What seems to be the problem". "How much do I put in this machine" she replied. "Well" I said, "you'll need to put in 60 cents, the postal department loves to rip people off with these machines".

She looks at the change in her hand and scratches her head. "how much is 60 cents" she asks. "I'm sorry, I'm just in from London." I looked at her and said " you'll need two quarters and a dime". She blinks and asks "what's a quarter?" I then blinked and started expaining to her exactly what a quarter was and picked one out of her hand and showed it to her. "These are 25 cents apiece, it takes four of these to make a dollar".

"These dimes are 10 cents apiece and while a nickel is physically larger than a dime, it's worth only half as much. These small brown coins are called pennies and it takes 100 of them to make a dollar. However, congress recently passed a law rendering the quarter useless in any state with a "y" in its spelling- as Texas has no "y" you are perfectly welcome to use those quarters here."

"Whats more, the dime is only official currency in the lower half of the country. The upper half of our nation uses the "drac" which is a coin you probaly haven't seen as yet" "The penny can be used in most states with the exception of California, Nebraksa, Idaho, Alaska and Hawaii. "But your in luck with the nickel, it's recognized in all 18 American states." "Oh, and welcome to the USA"

The poor girl looked to be about 18 or so and said was on her first ever visit to the US. I just couldn't resist yanking her chain a bit. Anyway, I showed her how to insert the money and get her stamp out. But the look on her face as I strode away was priceless.

Oh, admit it, you've probably pulled a similar gag on sombody. Probably some poor American visiting London for the first time.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 3:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Currency Conundrum

hehe...that's pretty good...but to be fair, it took me a while to get my head around the coin names...but then I hardly ever have any cash, I prefer debit cards, less hassle if you get mugged
Old Jan 21st 2005, 4:17 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jabba1
This morning at the local supermarket, a young lady was standing at the postage stamp machine looking at the change in her hand. As I was standing behind her she tuned to me and said in a very pleasant English accent "can you help me." "Sure" I said. "What seems to be the problem". "How much do I put in this machine" she replied. "Well" I said, "you'll need to put in 60 cents, the postal department loves to rip people off with these machines".

She looks at the change in her hand and scratches her head. "how much is 60 cents" she asks. "I'm sorry, I'm just in from London." I looked at her and said " you'll need two quarters and a dime". She blinks and asks "what's a quarter?" I then blinked and started expaining to her exactly what a quarter was and picked one out of her hand and showed it to her. "These are 25 cents apiece, it takes four of these to make a dollar".

"These dimes are 10 cents apiece and while a nickel is physically larger than a dime, it's worth only half as much. These small brown coins are called pennies and it takes 100 of them to make a dollar. However, congress recently passed a law rendering the quarter useless in any state with a "y" in its spelling- as Texas has no "y" you are perfectly welcome to use those quarters here."

"Whats more, the dime is only official currency in the lower half of the country. The upper half of our nation uses the "drac" which is a coin you probaly haven't seen as yet" "The penny can be used in most states with the exception of California, Nebraksa, Idaho, Alaska and Hawaii. "But your in luck with the nickel, it's recognized in all 18 American states." "Oh, and welcome to the USA"

The poor girl looked to be about 18 or so and said was on her first ever visit to the US. I just couldn't resist yanking her chain a bit. Anyway, I showed her how to insert the money and get her stamp out. But the look on her face as I strode away was priceless.

Oh, admit it, you've probably pulled a similar gag on sombody. Probably some poor American visiting London for the first time.

That is SO tight!
Old Jan 21st 2005, 12:15 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

Further to comments on currency I was recently given 7 £2 bills at Walmart in my change I did not even realise that they existed. So i am hanging on to them as the cashier said they are very rare. Has anybody else been given any of these
Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:31 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

You should have told her to use a $20 bill. That way she could have loads of dollar coins - the most widely accepted coin out there.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:56 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

When the other half was in Vegas last week, the vending machines were giving out Dollar coins as change. Not wanting to be lumbered with these, he promptly put back the one Dollar coin into the vending machine, chose an item and got some regular change back...

NC Penguin
Old Jan 21st 2005, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

The wife was also in Vegas last weekend, at a trade convention.
The only machine she put any money in was the slots and she won $570, bless her little cotton socks.
And that was at the airport on the way home.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 6:30 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rogerpenycate
The wife was also in Vegas last weekend, at a trade convention.
The only machine she put any money in was the slots and she won $570, bless her little cotton socks.
And that was at the airport on the way home.
Think Roge and Norm had better question their other halves very carefully at this moment and ensure what happens in Vegas isn't hid there.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Think Roge and Norm had better question their other halves very carefully at this moment and ensure what happens in Vegas isn't hid there.

Something subtle like
"Oi, NC Penguin, is your old man shagging my missus" ?
Old Jan 21st 2005, 6:45 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Something subtle like
Well that'd work. Always best to keep things out and in the open for a healthy marriage.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 6:49 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Something subtle like
Which hotel did your other half stay in? This will help me narrow things down...

NC Penguin
Old Jan 21st 2005, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=NC Penguin]Which hotel did your other half stay in? This will help me narrow things down...

She stayed in the Luxor.
I'm now wondering how she really got the $570 :0)
Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:03 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

[QUOTE=rogerpenycate]
Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Which hotel did your other half stay in? This will help me narrow things down...

She stayed in the Luxor.
I'm now wondering how she really got the $570 :0)
My spouse left Vegas last weekend. He was at the airport on Saturday around 7.30am so I very much doubt any hanky panky went on...

NC Penguin
Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=NC Penguin]My spouse left Vegas last weekend. He was at the airport on Saturday around 7.30am so I very much doubt any hanky panky went on...

No gossip there then, my wife left Baltimore at 7.00am.
Oh well, back to normal married life.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:17 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
You should have told her to use a $20 bill. That way she could have loads of dollar coins - the most widely accepted coin out there.
I received 12 dollar coins in change from a PO machine.

Maybe if I keep them long enough, they'll be worth something

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.