Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A cup of ... what???

A cup of ... what???

Old Jun 7th 2006, 9:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A cup of ... what???

[QUOTE=blaze]
Originally Posted by Kate2112

I don't get it, does that mean that you go together well?

With little sauce on the side.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 9:25 am
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=blaze]

I don't get it, does that mean that you go together well?
Not as such Davy has me on his "ignore" list and I have him on my "take the piss" list
Old Jun 7th 2006, 9:26 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Now you two hussies wouldn't be trying to throw my (perfectly legitimate!) thread off course now would you???

Old Jun 7th 2006, 9:27 am
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Now you two hussies wouldn't be trying to throw my (perfectly legitimate!) thread off course now would you???

Not I (said the fly)
Old Jun 7th 2006, 9:29 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently it is when so many Americans cannot comprehend the English pronunciation.

If you were in France would you expect a French person to understand "Water" when it is L'eau to them? Its a whole different country and a subtly but sometimes distinctly different language too

Just drop the 'T', that usually works Anyway, I believe that it's an ignorance thing, if you don't sound American then you must be speaking gibberish, totally bizarre in my opinion. I have a friend that refuses to go through a drive thru because she has never received the right order, they swear that they don't understand her.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 9:32 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Kate2112]
Originally Posted by blaze

Not as such Davy has me on his "ignore" list and I have him on my "take the piss" list
You're missing him!

Not quite the same witout his "sideways look at life"
Old Jun 7th 2006, 9:33 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Just drop the 'T', that usually works Anyway, I believe that it's an ignorance thing, if you don't sound American then you must be speaking gibberish, totally bizarre in my opinion. I have a friend that refuses to go through a drive thru because she has never received the right order, they swear that they don't understand her.

Look, I have tried, but I just cannot say it without feeling a total

And I would never dream of going through a drive through.

And not just because they most likely would not understand me...
Old Jun 7th 2006, 9:33 am
Homebody

[QUOTE=Sallyanne]

You're missing him!

About time for you to join my little afternoon tea party!
Old Jun 7th 2006, 9:34 am
Account Closed

Half the time they're not really listening. I think they must have thought you said "A cup of whatever".

I ordered a "Bear Claw" and got a bagel, realised I hadn't got the rrr right.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 9:35 am
Junior Showtime

I have problems understanding the English of the Hispanic couple who clean my apartment. So I can easily understand that they don't always understand what I am saying. Lots of service jobs are filled by immigrants in the US. They are already trying to translate what they think they are hearing into American English give them another version of English, complete with different pronunciations and it is probably true that they dont always know what you're saying. This might not be the case in point for Elvira ,but I've certainly experienced it in DC.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 9:37 am
Homebody

I have problems understanding the English of the Hispanic couple who clean my apartment. So I can easily understand that they don't always understand what I am saying. Lots of service jobs are filled by immigrants in the US. They are already trying to translate what they think they are hearing into American English give them another version of English, complete with different pronunciations and it is probably true that they dont always know what you're saying. This might not be the case in point for Elvira ,but I've certainly experienced it in DC.
Nope - this was your typical all-American college kid!
Junior Showtime

[QUOTE=Sallyanne]

You're missing him!

He's an itch I would prefer not to scratch to be honest
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Kate2112]

I apologize , I shall not utter the 'D' word again!
Old Jun 7th 2006, 9:38 am
Homebody

[QUOTE=blaze]

I apologize , I shall not utter the 'D' word again!

But you do know he is due for a sp4nking on his return? There was a silent auction for the implements. That's finished now, but their are tickets left for the amphitheatre.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 9:40 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Elvira]
Originally Posted by Sallyanne

About time for you to join my little afternoon tea party!
Hello darling!

You've got me puzzling - maybe he thought you meant "watermelon"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.