Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Culture shocks?

Wikiposts

Culture shocks?

Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Culture shocks?

Originally Posted by Saff_London_Girl
Made it at last- yay for me I have been in Washington for just over two weeks now. I'm really loving it- the city is great, people are friendly and I'm really enjoying my job.

The only real culture shock I have experienced so far is the amount of poverty. Just in the road next to my office building I pass at least 15 homeless people every day. That was definately something I did not expect in the capitol of the richest country.
Welcome.

I think you are mistaking homelessness for poverty. Most of the people that you see on the streets are either addicts or have mental problems. In the 1960s, the Supreme Court ruled that a person with mental problems cannot be institutionalized without his consent. That caused the release of about 600,000 mental patients to the streets and the start of a major homeless problem.

Whether they have mental problems or are addicts, they usually get welfare from the government. Many of the addicts don't want to spend their money on a room and many of the people with mental issues, for whatever reason of their own, do not want to live inside.

When the cold weather occurs, charitable and city sponsered organizations roam the streets trying to convince the homeless to come to free shelters. Even though it is cold, many still do not take them up on the offer.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Yay, Welcome!

Originally Posted by Saff_London_Girl
in the capitol of the richest country.
This made me smile; it was one of the humorous parts of my DH's naturalization test studies.

Q: What is the capital of the United States? A: Washington DC

Q: What is the United States Capitol? A: the place where Congress meets.

It's now a household requirement to pronounce it 'Capi-tole' (long 'o')

Are we still the richest after the last 2 weeks?
Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

leviramsey will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by meauxna
Given how the USD has been performing of late vs. nearly every other currency this side of the Swiss Franc (and pretty much every commodity), it's probably still true, if only by default.

Of course, a lot of that is due to the short dollar-long commodity trades being unwound as speculators get margin called...
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:01 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leviramsey

Of course, a lot of that is due to the short dollar-long commodity trades being unwound as speculators get margin called...
can we have that again in English please
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:07 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
I didn't like to say, myself...
Old Oct 12th 2008, 2:32 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
It means .. I can Bullshit ...
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:51 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Founded in 1776

Taken 232 years to bring the world to the brink of financial disaster.

Probably still the richest as everyone else is in the same boat
Old Oct 13th 2008, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury
Founded in 1776

Taken 232 years to bring the world to the brink of financial disaster.

Probably still the richest as everyone else is in the same boat
And even less time for us out West!
I just found out that my land was originally registered (you'd go out to the wilderness and literally 'stake your claim') to a couple with my same family surname---both of us from Ohio originally--- in 1850!
I will have to figure out if I am related to them, wouldn't that be something.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

CelticLC is an unknown quantity at this point

I think for me the honeymoon period is definately drawing to a close and I am starting to dislike quite a few aspects abot living out here. But am making the most of it I am in California, not sure how my observations would differ elsewhere.

Things I noticed when coming out here that were culture shocks were
1. Lack of public transport and the necessity for having a car
2. The road signs and freeway signs, the name of the road given rather than the number and destination.
3. Lack of milage signs, how far to the next city etc.
4. The size of the cars and trucks.
5. The crap mpg rating for all cars, much lower than their equivalents in europe, what is going on there?
6. How friendly and welcoming everyone is.
7. The self promotion, everything is excellent (apart from gas prices) no one has any faults and if they do they are down to someone else's actions.
8. The shocking frequency of burgers on menus and an aparent lack of diversity between places to eat (with a few exceptions and the quality vaires but most menus have very similar items).
9. Drink driving, I find this very shocking
10. The width of the roads.
11. Most people seem to have no idea how to actually drive let alone indicate, the standard of driving is scary, especially on the freeways.
12. The medical adverts on TV, especially all of the side affects being listed i.e. one advert for an asthma medicine warns that it "may increase the risk of asthma related illness". lol
13. Everyone does work pretty hard.
14. The use of sprinklers. I was surprised at how "green", i.e how much greenery there is in L.A., but sprinklers are used everywhere!!! Tremendous lack of care for water usage.
15. Not being able to drink tap water.
16. How expensive basic ingredients are in the supermarkets.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 2:36 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CelticLC
I 14. The use of sprinklers. I was surprised at how "green", i.e how much greenery there is in L.A., but sprinklers are used everywhere!!! Tremendous lack of care for water usage.
You go to Jail for a brown lawn in Florida

http://tampabay.com/news/humanintere...icle847365.ece
Old Oct 13th 2008, 2:45 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Don't believe that some of the homeless people are actually hungry when they have over $20 in change in there Super Sized soda cup and there's a dollar menu on every corner.

the real hungry people here (in chicago) are the ones who are queing up for food hand outs thanks to Jewel Osco and the people who donate to them, plus a number of large company's who have donated money towards the cause.

This is a real culture shock...people on one side of the city donating to people on the other side, ten miles apart but a million miles away in some respects.

Sorry to rant.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

CelticLC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
You go to Jail for a brown lawn in Florida

http://tampabay.com/news/humanintere...icle847365.ece
Wow
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Don't believe that some of the homeless people are actually hungry when they have over $20 in change in there Super Sized soda cup and there's a dollar menu on every corner.

the real hungry people here (in chicago) are the ones who are queing up for food hand outs thanks to Jewel Osco and the people who donate to them, plus a number of large company's who have donated money towards the cause.

This is a real culture shock...people on one side of the city donating to people on the other side, ten miles apart but a million miles away in some respects.

Sorry to rant.
I remember a homeless guy in Chicago, I used to walk past him every day on the way to work.

I gave him a couple bucks each day generally, and sometimes we would chat.

As I got to know him more, I was most disconcerted to learn that he had no desire for a job, was quite happy with his life. This was about 15 years ago - and he said he easily made $80-$100 per day just sitting there - had a nice dinner, and spent the night in the hotel. So why work?

He also told me of some of the homeless, in addition to begging, who made up to a total of $80,000 per year selling the homeless newspapers to folks downtown.

I am not saying all the homeless are like that. I am well aware that many people are in very sad circumstances.

But this fellow looked quite pitiful and destitute - and was perfectly fine, enjoying his free ride.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I think for me the honeymoon period is definately drawing to a close and I am starting to dislike quite a few aspects abot living out here. But am making the most of it I am in California, not sure how my observations would differ elsewhere.
You are in LA, which is its own unique environment. Where I live, in Northern CA, things are very different.

Things I noticed when coming out here that were culture shocks were
1. Lack of public transport and the necessity for having a car
Much better public transit in San Francisco

5. The crap mpg rating for all cars, much lower than their equivalents in europe, what is going on there?
The US gallon is 4/5 the size of a UK gallon; 1 gallon=8 pints (both countries); US Pint = 16 fl. oz vs. UK pint = 20 fl oz. So the mileage per gallon is always going to be lower.

8. The shocking frequency of burgers on menus and an aparent lack of diversity between places to eat (with a few exceptions and the quality vaires but most menus have very similar items).
whereabouts in LA do you live?!?!? I make frequent trips down there and go to places like Pasadena, Santa Monica, etc - endless variety. Also, Chinatown, Koreatown, Japantown ... ?!?!?

15. Not being able to drink tap water.
You must know something we don't; people PREFER to drink bottled water, but I wasn't aware that tap water would do you harm! This is not a 3rd world country!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:53 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I just found out that my land was originally registered (you'd go out to the wilderness and literally 'stake your claim') to a couple with my same family surname---both of us from Ohio originally--- in 1850!
I will have to figure out if I am related to them, wouldn't that be something.
With the number of people in Ohio at that time there may well be a good chance you are related, if only slightly. Be interesting to find out and quite a coincidence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.