Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Crumbling America

Crumbling America

Old Mar 9th 2005, 5:33 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Crumbling America

I've always thought the roads were in pretty poor shape here, but so, it seems, is pretty much everything else:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7137552/

Crowded schools, traffic-choked roads and transit cutbacks are eroding the quality of American life, according to an analysis by civil engineers that gave the nation’s infrastructure an overall grade of D. A report by the American Society of Civil Engineers released Wednesday assessed the four-year trend in the condition of 12 categories of infrastructure.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 6:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crumbling America

Aye, the roads are pants...dont' help that they prefer to patch them up each spring rather than invest in decent roads....but then the temperature change is pretty steep in places...still doesn't explain some of those pot holes that you can get lost in *l*
Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, the roads are pants...dont' help that they prefer to patch them up each spring rather than invest in decent roads....but then the temperature change is pretty steep in places...still doesn't explain some of those pot holes that you can get lost in *l*
When we managed to avoid an enormous pot-hole in the road yesterday, I commented to Himself that it's surprising someone hasn't been sued because of broken chassis or some such thing - Himself replied that a lawyer probably dug the hole ! LOL!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elfman
I've always thought the roads were in pretty poor shape here, but so, it seems, is pretty much everything else:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7137552/

Crowded schools, traffic-choked roads and transit cutbacks are eroding the quality of American life, according to an analysis by civil engineers that gave the nation’s infrastructure an overall grade of D. A report by the American Society of Civil Engineers released Wednesday assessed the four-year trend in the condition of 12 categories of infrastructure.
We play a game here in LA called "things I've seen in the car pool lane" favourites include a sofa, a xmas tree, a childs bike, garden furniture , a warbrobe, 3 lawnmowers, an airconditioning unit, various garden tools and a TV- no-one ever clears this shit up it just get smashed to pieces over time - the I210 freeway will look like a scene from Mad Max soon :scared:
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:27 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Eskimo
We play a game here in LA called "things I've seen in the car pool lane" favourites include a sofa, a xmas tree, a childs bike, garden furniture , a warbrobe, 3 lawnmowers, an airconditioning unit, various garden tools and a TV- no-one ever clears this shit up it just get smashed to pieces over time - the I210 freeway will look like a scene from Mad Max soon :scared:

Sounds a bit like the I95 here in S. Florida....except ours also has the odd body on it.

Old Mar 10th 2005, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I heard that somewhere in Minnisota they are doing in experiment where instead of patching up holes they are going to build roads the same way they do in the UK. Then they will see over time if it is cost effective.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I heard that somewhere in Minnisota they are doing in experiment where instead of patching up holes they are going to build roads the same way they do in the UK. Then they will see over time if it is cost effective.

it's the extreem temperatures and snowplows that screw up the roads the UK does not have any plows and rarley gets below freezing
Old Mar 10th 2005, 11:44 am
ImHere

Apparently the roads in Florida are made from crushed Coral (like sand paper) and not asphalt. I can beleive this as tyres here have a life expectancy measured in yards more than miles.

Old Mar 10th 2005, 2:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psb182
it's the extreem temperatures and snowplows that screw up the roads the UK does not have any plows and rarley gets below freezing
Aye, but roads that are just tar drizzled ontop of mud that was compacted is hardly a proper road either....
Old Mar 10th 2005, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ImHere
Apparently the roads in Florida are made from crushed Coral (like sand paper) and not asphalt. .
they're paper mache and dog shit in LA...
Old Mar 10th 2005, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

immunise is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Not to mention the number of ded dogs you see, I think dumbasses don't tie them up in the back of their pickups......such a shame for the poor things...
Old Mar 11th 2005, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by immunise
Not to mention the number of ded dogs you see, I think dumbasses don't tie them up in the back of their pickups......such a shame for the poor things...
Oh no poor dogs, dont give a shite about anything else...but the dogs, I hate that
Old Mar 11th 2005, 12:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Oh no poor dogs, dont give a shite about anything else...but the dogs, I hate that
hate dogs? or seeing them bounce out of the back of pick ups? Anyway, ain't it illegal to have a dog in the open cab of the pick up? is around here at least...
Old Mar 11th 2005, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
hate dogs? or seeing them bounce out of the back of pick ups? Anyway, ain't it illegal to have a dog in the open cab of the pick up? is around here at least...
No Bob, I love dogs. What is classed as the open cab, do I assume its the area behind the driver, the open back part?
Old Mar 11th 2005, 1:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by ladylisa
No Bob, I love dogs. What is classed as the open cab, do I assume its the area behind the driver, the open back part?
only joking, tho missed the smiles..hmmm...
As for open cab, yeah, the back part of the pick up's...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.