Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cross border debit problem

Cross border debit problem

Old Jul 21st 2012, 4:11 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cross border debit problem

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Transactions can always be traced as there are always ID #s assigned to it. I think what occurs is when you lodge a complaint (atleast over here), the burden of proof is shifted upon the merchant to counter-claim your dispute (that is why you are initially credited back the amount) - which PAL showed sufficient 'evidence' that they never processed such payment etc. So Lloyds is going back to you. IMO Lloyds are being lazy, BUT I also wonder about the fact it was a debit card vs credit card and is being made a factor b/c debit cards typically don't have quite the protection for disputed charges... a debit card holder can be liable for all/any charges on the account. (CC its not your money, you're infact borrowing it w/as debit card is attached directly to your money that's why there's a difference). Ask to see the findings of your bank.

Anyway, I'd contact and complain to -
http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/
... also see if there is somesort oversight agency over banks (I think the ombudsman is more like a US BBB) and raise the issue with them.
insist that either the bank pursues as recourse on your behalf your money from PAL, or leave the credit with you and that its up to the bank to seek recourse to PAL for themselves. Push the burden of proof on upon the bank.

the bank documented that it sent money but never actually did (ie they took it out of your account but never forwarded it)...
if that turns out to be the case, technically that is theft and fraud upon your account, inform them of that remind them of your rights to press charges.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 5:33 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
(I think the ombudsman is more like a US BBB)
Hell, no! But it's still a good place to get the boot in.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 8:28 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9

if that turns out to be the case, technically that is theft and fraud upon your account, inform them of that remind them of your rights to press charges.
It is neither, the bank did not obtain the money unlawfully. They obtained it as a result of an instruction given by their customer. If they failed to fully comply with that instruction it is a civil and not criminal matter. Which is the way GeoffM is dealing with it.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the further advice, all. Either PAL never received the money or they're denying they ever received it - the latter far more likely. My guess is that somehow their systems didn't recognize the response from the Lloyds secure card verification thing (the one where your bank pops up and asks you to verify certain things), but by that point the transaction had already been authorized. PAL did ask for my debit card number, which I gave to them, but it was after that they failed to respond to any more emails. The call center might as well be shipping chocolate teapots for the use they are.

But regardless of PAL's actions or lack thereof, I am supposed to be hammering Lloyds now, and then the ombudsmen next, as Tarkak9 says - though whether the ombudsmen helps non-residents I don't know!
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry the OP is in this situation but this should be a warning to everyone. Never use a debit card online....or for large purchases.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...-card-1271.php
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Time to eat humble pie.

I did actually fly the exact same segments as I'd tried to book with PAL, but booked through Orbitz instead. When Lloyds queried it with PAL they sent through the Orbitz ticket details, ie the one I actually flew rather than the one I tried to book. I assumed they'd just looked up my name. However, when I checked my account just now I realized Orbitz had never charged me. Thus the payment for PAL was actually for my ticket with Orbitz.

In my weak defence all I can say is that the transactions were very close together, for similar amounts, my balance was fluctuating wildly at the time anyway, and that the Orbitz transaction was labelled as PAL. I've only ever seen Expedia, Opodo, etc on my statement!

Anyway, thanks for the help. I shall now crawl back into the hole from where I came.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Still, PAL's payment systems are crap which is why I was in this mess in the first place.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 4:26 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Abslutely superb - I had a simiolar one the other day... after complaining to the Severn Bridge toll people that they had charged my wife twice for crossing the Severn Bridge when she could only have crossed once, and getting quite shirty about, it I realised that I crossed on the same day as her... same credit card account... what a numpty!
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 4:28 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

That's a result. At least you are not out of pocket struggling to get your money back.

I had my credit card refund a parking charge at Heathrow, pointing out I had a staff pass for the car parks, and wouldn't need to pay. After they refunded I remembered going to the airport that evening to collect the wife's sister, and not being on duty at that time I use my credit card to pay.

Last edited by lansbury; Jul 23rd 2012 at 4:32 pm.