British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Critical Thinking and Debate in the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/critical-thinking-debate-us-794665/)

Ichigo-chan May 3rd 2013 4:03 am

Re: Critical Thinking and Debate in the US

Many in Hollywood who did criticize the system were accused of being communists and black listed.
I think this had an impact on investigative discussion in the media.

retzie May 3rd 2013 2:51 pm

dlake02, is there any particular demographic that you're finding this in? My experience of the US has been very heavily filtered by my work (young American students, older international co-workers). As such, I'm not in much of a position to understand my observations in context.

For me, major issues of conflict management have arisen with roommates who are 'good', middle-class, suburban, white 'mericans. They have been a bit of a nightmare of passive aggression and inability to even conduct discussions, much less reach resolutions. Those who have been more rural and/or non-white have been a lot more receptive to, and proactive in, dealing with issues as they arise. I had always put this down to personality differences, but this thread got me thinking :huh:

dlake02 May 3rd 2013 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by retzie (Post 10690477)
dlake02, is there any particular demographic that you're finding this in? My experience of the US has been very heavily filtered by my work (young American students, older international co-workers). As such, I'm not in much of a position to understand my observations in context.

For me, major issues of conflict management have arisen with roommates who are 'good', middle-class, suburban, white 'mericans. They have been a bit of a nightmare of passive aggression and inability to even conduct discussions, much less reach resolutions. Those who have been more rural and/or non-white have been a lot more receptive to, and proactive in, dealing with issues as they arise. I had always put this down to personality differences, but this thread got me thinking :huh:

After 25+ years working with people of every race and background and coming to the conclusion that people are not defined by their ethnicity/race/background and are all individuals, I am shocked, saddened and stunned that in this country I cannot help but agree with you.

"Passive Aggressive" sums it up VERY nicely.

Gordon Barlow May 3rd 2013 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by dlake02 (Post 10690677)
After 25+ years working with people of every race and background and coming to the conclusion that people are not defined by their ethnicity/race/background and are all individuals, I am shocked, saddened and stunned that in this country I cannot help but agree with you.
"Passive Aggressive" sums it up VERY nicely.

A very perceptive comment, dlake. Unfortunately, blind and fervent patriotism is a serious obstacle to critical thinking and debate among way too many Americans.

SEL_boy May 3rd 2013 6:13 pm

I work for a huge corporation, and I, too, have found the attitude of not wanting to buck the system, keeping your head down, covering your arse totally prevalent.

It's all just fear.

I have had people come out and say to me, when I tell them I'm going home for a two week holiday, "oh dear, you'd better watch out - if they see they can do without you for that long, you might come back to find your job eliminated."

I think in the last, I don't know, 30 years maybe, Americans have dug themselves into such a hole - what with college loans, health care, real estate, and the huge credit card debt everybody is in, the average middle class (American usage) person just can't afford to lose their job without risking total ruin.

It's all just so precarious.