Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

That credit thing......

That credit thing......

Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: That credit thing......

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
How did you have a mortgage in your name with no SSN? If you jointly owned a place, then surely your wife has a credit report?
Hi LIsa.... The house in FL was in my name only. We got the mortgage through a US broker who specialized in holiday homes for brits. I had to provide proof of income and employment in England and proof of where the deposit had come from. Although I didn't have a SSN I had a ITIN (tax identification number) for IRS purposes. Good job I did as they kept about $8K when we sold the place Got it back about 6 months later
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vimto
Steve,
as someone who escaped from Darlo more than a few years back but only made it to the USA 3 1/2 years ago, getting a head start on renting an apartment without a crippling deposit may depend on your employer, they may be able to give you a reference, mine did for me and I had to pay only $500 up front here in Atlanta.
I've started the escape tunnel here mate..... Starts in Peterlee, just up the road from Darlo Thanks for the advice.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Drebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by EricK
- Been with Amex in the UK for ten years. Transferred my card and credit history to US. Well actually you keep your UK card, they just issue you with an additional card in the US. Look up Amex global transfer on Google. You need to be with them for a minimum of 12 months in the UK to qualify.
Didn't know that? Is that a recent change?

Makes me think I was lucky when I did mine... I got a UK Amex about a month before I emigrated. Then it was close to a year after I got here that I finally bothered to try and apply for a US Amex. Got one with no troubles.

So I guess even if you're leaving very soon, it's maybe worth getting one before you leave and then 'transfer' it later when you can. There was a vast difference in the limit I got on that Amex, versus the credit card I had with the same bank that did my checking. Definitely worth a go IMO.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:35 pm
Banned

FLexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Steve,

When you arrive, and you opt for the AIG US Inbound membership (great deal), you can get your car lease with <removed>. They are partners with AIG as well as with Enterprise. They have been able to help endless expats without credit score. Good luck!

Last edited by meauxna; Apr 21st 2010 at 10:22 pm. Reason: company name removed; user banned
Old Apr 21st 2010, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FLexpat
Steve,

When you arrive, and you opt for the AIG US Inbound membership (great deal), you can get your car lease with <removed>. They are partners with AIG as well as with Enterprise. They have been able to help endless expats without credit score. Good luck!
Many thanks for the tip.... web site is a bit vague on costs but email sent....

Last edited by meauxna; Apr 21st 2010 at 10:24 pm. Reason: edit company name
Old Apr 21st 2010, 10:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_I
Many thanks for the tip.... web site is a bit vague on costs but email sent....
FYI, that user has been banned for repeatedly promoting his company (and not identifying it as his). User your own radar when you get the quote, but mine did not approve.
YMMV
Old Apr 21st 2010, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
FYI, that user has been banned for repeatedly promoting his company (and not identifying it as his). User your own radar when you get the quote, but mine did not approve.
YMMV
Thanks M. PM sent....
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Drebin
Didn't know that? Is that a recent change?

Makes me think I was lucky when I did mine... I got a UK Amex about a month before I emigrated. Then it was close to a year after I got here that I finally bothered to try and apply for a US Amex. Got one with no troubles.

So I guess even if you're leaving very soon, it's maybe worth getting one before you leave and then 'transfer' it later when you can. There was a vast difference in the limit I got on that Amex, versus the credit card I had with the same bank that did my checking. Definitely worth a go IMO.
Does using a transferred Amex card start earning you USA credit history - i.e. contribute to your FICO score ?
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 1:51 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
Does using a transferred Amex card start earning you USA credit history - i.e. contribute to your FICO score ?
Yep. I had a valid FICO score as soon as my AMEX started reporting, because they dated the history back to when I opened the UK one.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Yep. I had a valid FICO score as soon as my AMEX started reporting, because they dated the history back to when I opened the UK one.
Cool! I only got one last year and haven't really used it. I guess I must start doing that to generate some 'real' history ??

What happens to the transactions on the USA card, are they converted into GBP and then applied to your UK account ?
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

Amex issue you with a new US card, you keep your UK card. Transactions in the US are posted to your US account in $, transactions on your UK card are posted in £ to the UK account.

I still own a property in the UK so my UK card is registered there.. not quite sure what happens if you do not have a UK residence though?
Old Apr 26th 2010, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Unhappy Re: That credit thing......

Originally Posted by EricK
Amex issue you with a new US card, you keep your UK card. Transactions in the US are posted to your US account in $, transactions on your UK card are posted in £ to the UK account.

I still own a property in the UK so my UK card is registered there.. not quite sure what happens if you do not have a UK residence though?
I just phoned the Amex transfer number and they said they will only transfer cards issued by them and not cards issued by UK banks. Unfortunately, mine is from a UK bank and so is not eligible.

Oh well, back to the drawing board on obtaining USA credit and credit history!
Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

lazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nice

Hi I've been looking into the AIG International Services programme, and I can't find any information about it.

Does anyone know if the programme is still running? If you've used it, please could you test the link you used and see if it still works, then post it if so?

Thank you!
Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lazza
Hi I've been looking into the AIG International Services programme, and I can't find any information about it.

Does anyone know if the programme is still running? If you've used it, please could you test the link you used and see if it still works, then post it if so?

Thank you!
Have you tried looking in the Wiki? might be some info in there
Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

lazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nice

Please ignore the last post - after more searching I found the link

http://www.aig-is.com/html/inbound_main.html

While I'm posting though, I have a question...

I have a social security number from when I worked in the US on a J1 in 2000. From reading the wiki about credit rating, I can see that one of the issues with getting credit is not having a ssn or having a new one - does the fact that I already have one get me any further on? Or does the fact that nothing has been recorded against it mean that it's just the same situation as having a brand spanking new ssn? I'm looking into seeing whether I have any credit history (or lack of) listed against my ssn at the moment...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.