Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

That credit thing......

That credit thing......

Old Aug 11th 2010, 7:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: That credit thing......

An aged SS# is 'better' than a new one.
But if it has no activity on it.. go get your free credit report (the one from the gov't site) and see what it says about you first.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

JMOT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
An aged SS# is 'better' than a new one.
But if it has no activity on it.. go get your free credit report (the one from the gov't site) and see what it says about you first.
I realise this is an old thread...

However, any idea how aged your SSN needs to be combined with a good FICO to actually make applying for credit an easier task?

1 year?
2 years?

Thanks.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 9:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JMOT
I realise this is an old thread...

However, any idea how aged your SSN needs to be combined with a good FICO to actually make applying for credit an easier task?

1 year?
2 years?

Thanks.
It's a combination.

A good FICO score alone means very little, except perhaps when signing up for utilities.

If you've got 12 months worth of credit history, things start to improve for you and once you've built up a more diverse history that consists of more than one line/type of credit, you'll be in even a better situation, which will be what helps you most when getting a home mortgage etc.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 4:08 am
Just Joined

Monkey2RatsandRabbit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EricK
I moved here at the beggining of March - had it very easy, this is what I did:

-Took out an annual subscripton with AIG Intenational for $400. Got an HSBC credit card wth $10,000 limit. Had to supply copy of visa / letter of employment.

- Been with Amex in the UK for ten years. Transferred my card and credit history to US. Well actually you keep your UK card, they just issue you with an additional card in the US. Look up Amex global transfer on Google. You need to be with them for a minimum of 12 months in the UK to qualify.

- Opened a bank account with HSBC in the US by walking into a local branch. No SSN needed, supplied that later.

- Got a car through BMW finance via their global executive scheme. Again had to provide copy of my passport / visa / letter of employment / pay stub, was very easy. Its an official scheme BMW run. Audi and Mercedes also run similar schemes, I am sure other manufacturers do as well.

- Got a lease on an apartment by showing my letter of employment, and copy of UK bank statement.

So far I have not encountered any problems with getting credit, although a lot of that was due to the research I did on this forum and making sure I did things correctly to start with.
That's a great lot of advice, thank you. I hope it' still valid more than year on. I'll look into that.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

washsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nice

I had an 'aged' SSN (8 years old) but had no credit history (bank told me that when applying for a mortgage last year)

Being here for a year we are now getting flooded with credit offers so our credit rating is obviously getting better (low 700s).

Ironically my bankgave me a mortgage but declined me for a credit card....go figure!