Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Credit report and your rating.........

Credit report and your rating.........

Old Jun 7th 2005, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit report and your rating.........

Originally Posted by looselips
If you want to get copies of your reports and score you can get 20% off myfico.com through the boards fyi.
You can get these free in many states now.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com
Old Jun 7th 2005, 2:03 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

When I was first in the US, I was shocked to find that my excellent UK credit history was non-transferable, and when my US husband and I were buying our house, I could not be included on the mortgage. I was outraged! My husband, who as a result of a previous marriage and divorce, owed many $K to 3 credit card companies, had excellent credit! The mortgage lender told me the best thing I could do to improve my 0 credit rating was to build up some credit with local businesses. As we needed furniture and appliances for our new home, I began trying to do this. To my horror, none of them would give me credit either! I asked on this forum, and had mixed answers, especially on the subject of secured credit cards. Some people thought they were a good idea, others thought it would make me look like I was desperate (I was!!). I went ahead and got a secured credit card, and the next time my credit level was checked, it was just a few points below my husband - we both now have decent credit and have taken a firm hold of our finances.

My advice? Get a secured card from a reputable bank.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbark
When I was first in the US, I was shocked to find that my excellent UK credit history was non-transferable, and when my US husband and I were buying our house, I could not be included on the mortgage. I was outraged! My husband, who as a result of a previous marriage and divorce, owed many $K to 3 credit card companies, had excellent credit! The mortgage lender told me the best thing I could do to improve my 0 credit rating was to build up some credit with local businesses. As we needed furniture and appliances for our new home, I began trying to do this. To my horror, none of them would give me credit either! I asked on this forum, and had mixed answers, especially on the subject of secured credit cards. Some people thought they were a good idea, others thought it would make me look like I was desperate (I was!!). I went ahead and got a secured credit card, and the next time my credit level was checked, it was just a few points below my husband - we both now have decent credit and have taken a firm hold of our finances.

My advice? Get a secured card from a reputable bank.
How long did you have the secured card before you noticed a rise in your zero credit score?. I just got one two months ago through Wells Fargo.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 4:40 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
How long did you have the secured card before you noticed a rise in your zero credit score?. I just got one two months ago through Wells Fargo.

If it's your first credit line, you won't get a score until 6 months of postings (=7 months!) to the bureaux.

If it's not your first entry (e.g. you piggy backed on spouse's or had other lines), you'll actually have a fall in your credit score for about 6 months. After that, it'll start rising nicely provided you follow the usual rules -- keep it active but below 20% of max at all times.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

When I first arrived here I got my name on a joint bank account with the USC wife. Six months later I got my Employment Authorisation and started a job. With my first paycheck I opened an account in my own name. I asked about a secured credit card and the bank told me to go ahead and apply for a regular one. So I did, and was approved for about three times more than I'd ever been approved for in the UK. A month later I checked my credit score and it was the highest in the family, and all within weeks of getting my first job.

It makes sense that you're credit will be lousy when you're unable to work, but once you are, it rapidly mounts up.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:16 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dant3
When I first arrived here I got my name on a joint bank account with the USC wife. Six months later I got my Employment Authorisation and started a job. With my first paycheck I opened an account in my own name. I asked about a secured credit card and the bank told me to go ahead and apply for a regular one. So I did, and was approved for about three times more than I'd ever been approved for in the UK. A month later I checked my credit score and it was the highest in the family, and all within weeks of getting my first job.

It makes sense that you're credit will be lousy when you're unable to work, but once you are, it rapidly mounts up.
Can you check your credit here(in the US) for free or do you have to pay?

If so can someone show me where.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:31 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evoal2003

Look @ #16! You get one shot a year, so maybe best to spread them out. Don't bother buying your FICO score as that'll cost you. You can estimate it well enough here.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 2:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evoal2003

depends where you live as the freebie hasn't been rolled out across the country yet, we don't get it till sept in maine anyway...
Old Jun 8th 2005, 2:05 am
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
You can get these free in many states now.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com
Yes, you are quite right, you can get free reports in most states but you won't get your score from that without paying.

I personally did myfico because for about the price of 3 beers after using a discount code I have web based access to the 3 reports and scores for a year, can raise pre-typed letters to dispute anything inaccurate on my report (I had someone's random name as well as my sisters Macy's card on there!) as well as simulate how my score will change if I get a new credit or store card, miss a payment or get a car loan in wabbits case. I have good credit but want to try and bump it up over the next year so I sucked up the $20.

Fatbrit - that fico estimator is not entirely reliable. The difference in score between the 3 agencies can vary by 100 points on your reports. If I went by that estimator I would be a very happy person right now!

Last edited by looselips; Jun 8th 2005 at 2:17 am.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 2:13 am
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
depends where you live as the freebie hasn't been rolled out across the country yet, we don't get it till sept in maine anyway...
Yeh, what's up with that! Normally we get everything first on the east coast!
Old Jun 8th 2005, 2:17 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by looselips
Fatbrit - that fico estimator is not reliable. The difference in score between the 3 agencies can vary by 100 points on your reports. If I went by that estimator I would be a very happy person right now!
Agreed. But it shows you clearly how your actions will affect your FICO score which is the most important thing. It's also very misleading because a lot of companies try to sell you fake fico scores. If you're not in the biz, the only score that'll get you the right number is myfico.com. But is it really necessary to know the exact numbers?

P.S. The span is often much bigger when you've been doing "credit repair" maneuvers after being v. bad.

Last edited by fatbrit; Jun 8th 2005 at 2:25 am. Reason: Added p.s.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 2:30 am
trout pout

Originally Posted by fatbrit
But is it really necessary to know the exact numbers?
No, not for everyone that's for sure. If you are considering loans or mortgages or trying to build your credit then I'd say yes.

Like I said, your score can vary by 100 points between agencies - I was pretty shocked at the differences. After I checked mine and others on creditboards.com it seems Experian are very strict on what goes on your report whereas Transunion seemed quite soft and don't necessarily report 30 day late payments etc. If you know which credit company is going to be pulled before you apply for something like a mortgage or loan then you will have a good idea if you will be turned down or not. If they pull your report then turn you down you risk your score going down further for the report being pulled (vicious circle really!) I'm not expecting to shell out again for a few years unless I do anything drastic!
Old Jun 8th 2005, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I found a link to this press release:

http://www.privacyactivism.org/Item/220

It's not talking about credit reference agencies, but two companies that gather data on people and sell it on.

I thought some people might be interested.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 2:43 am
trout pout

P.S. The span is often much bigger when you've been doing "credit repair" maneuvers after being v. bad.
Not sure what you are suggesting there. Cheeky git! As far as I know I have been a good girl!

Anyway....my advice stands....if people want an easy way to check, improve or monitor their credit they can try it, it's dead easy and only $20 .

PS : I found a store credit card on my Experian report that I haven't used in 4 years (tucked it away in my knicker drawer!). I have started using it and already notice a difference. An excuse to shop really isn't it!
Old Jun 8th 2005, 3:01 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Look @ #16! You get one shot a year, so maybe best to spread them out. Don't bother buying your FICO score as that'll cost you. You can estimate it well enough here.

just comes up page not found for me...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.