Reload this Page >

Credit Report

Credit Report

Old May 8th 2012, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

xathras is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Credit Report

Hi,

This might be a stupid question, I did a search and didn't find anything similar. So i'm on one of those creditreport websites, PM if you want the name, but it wants to know my address info if i've not lived in that address > 6 months. Since I was in the UK then I cannot proceed. Am i missing a trick here?

I think it needs to know 3 years worth of history, but i've been in the UK prior to November.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Wayne
Old May 8th 2012, 7:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Report

Originally Posted by xathras
Hi,

This might be a stupid question, I did a search and didn't find anything similar. So i'm on one of those creditreport websites, PM if you want the name, but it wants to know my address info if i've not lived in that address > 6 months. Since I was in the UK then I cannot proceed. Am i missing a trick here?

I think it needs to know 3 years worth of history, but i've been in the UK prior to November.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Wayne
There's no trick. You can either lie on the credit report, or you can wait until you've lived at the address for more than 6 months. Being so new to the USA, I wouldn't expect you to have much of a credit report to look at yet, anyway. I'd just wait.

Rene
Old May 8th 2012, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
There's no trick. You can either lie on the credit report, or you can wait until you've lived at the address for more than 6 months. Being so new to the USA, I wouldn't expect you to have much of a credit report to look at yet, anyway. I'd just wait.

Rene
Thanks Rene... I was just interested to see what searches are on there.
Old May 8th 2012, 7:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't bother.

If you've only just moved to the US, you've got no history to report on.

You can get 3 free reports a year anyway, one from each of the agencies.
Old May 8th 2012, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
I wouldn't bother.

If you've only just moved to the US, you've got no history to report on.

You can get 3 free reports a year anyway, one from each of the agencies.
Hi,

Just to add some context. I have a VW Car on Lease using the Foreign Business Scheme, Cable via A.N Other Provider and A Secured Credit Card. I wanted to ensure data is being reported and the details they held was correct..

Thanks again

Wayne
Old May 8th 2012, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Hi,

Just to add some context. I have a VW Car on Lease using the Foreign Business Scheme, Cable via A.N Other Provider and A Secured Credit Card. I wanted to ensure data is being reported and the details they held was correct..

Thanks again

Wayne
If you had an American Express card at home they will do a global transfer and if you had a credit card/account with HSBC they can also be helpful.
Old May 8th 2012, 8:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks again

Wayne
If it's less than 6 months, there won't be any history, chances are there will be not much till a year.

Utilities, leases, they won't get reported anyway, unless you're late making payments.

The secured card would be the only thing you've mentioned to impact your history, after 6 months.

So again, no point.
Old May 8th 2012, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

This might be a stupid question, I did a search and didn't find anything similar. So i'm on one of those creditreport websites, PM if you want the name,
There is only one correct website to go to to get your credit report for free.

www.annualcreditreport.com
Old May 8th 2012, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
There is only one correct website to go to to get your credit report for free.

www.annualcreditreport.com
Thanks Sir_Eccles, I know, thats the one I was using.. But didn't want to drop the name
Old May 8th 2012, 9:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Thanks Sir_Eccles, I know, thats the one I was using.. But didn't want to drop the name
It was set up by the government, so there's no worry about names to drop.
Old May 8th 2012, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

I've been very impressed by this free site;

https://www.creditkarma.com/

It's also quite scary in that given just my name, address and last 4-digits of SSN it can find out all my CC limits, balances and now it's just picked up my mortgage which was only issued last week!

Also every time my mortgage broker did a credit score for me, it would email me to warn me about a new hard credit request. Could be very useful in preventing identity theft.

Generally its score and what my broker gave me were pretty close.
Old May 11th 2012, 2:53 am
Just Joined

jedimark01978 is just really nicejedimark01978 is just really nicejedimark01978 is just really nicejedimark01978 is just really nicejedimark01978 is just really nicejedimark01978 is just really nicejedimark01978 is just really nicejedimark01978 is just really nice

I have been legal since jan 2012... been here for just over 2 years... this is what you need to do.... it's nothing like in the uk here as you have to chase up everything yourself... back and forth and so on and so on... so be patient..

1- apply for a capital one "new comers credit card"... very easy to do provided you have a social security number... put your current address down as 2 years.... this is a real card and not a secured one to!

2- after a few weeks to a month this will be registered with transunion... equifax and experian are very slow so you will need to contact cap1 and ask them to report your card with them two bureau's for you...

3- apply for retail cards only as you will not get anything from any other credit card company without a secured deposit.

4- retail cards to try would we any that are backed through GEMB they are pretty easy to get...so stick with them for now.

5- cards with GE include likes of chevron/texaco gas card, amazon store card, walmart store card.

I am self employed, now have my own business set up and thanks to the info I found out on "myfico.com/forums" with regards to getting finance and a credit history/score... dont waste your time nor money on any sites other than transunion to start with, free report for the 1st 2 weeks then $16 after if you wish to see your report on a daily basis... by the way I did all this within a month of having my cap1 card.. 4 months later credit score mid 700 with all 3 bureau's, loan with a credit union bank, 2 credit cards and 4 retail accounts.... dont apply for any major c/cards as you will get refused on lack of history and you will then have too many inquiries on your file, and they stay on your file for 2 years not like 3 months back in the uk... hope this helps out some.
Old May 11th 2012, 3:03 am
Just Joined

jedimark01978 is just really nicejedimark01978 is just really nicejedimark01978 is just really nicejedimark01978 is just really nicejedimark01978 is just really nicejedimark01978 is just really nicejedimark01978 is just really nicejedimark01978 is just really nice

would like to point out that from what I have read and from looking at my wife's report on credit karma, they only show a brief description of your true score, her score was over 40 points higher through transunion than karma... and with karma you are giving them authority to share your info with 3rd parties. also not transunion are one of the three credit bureau's unlike karma.
Old May 11th 2012, 3:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by jedimark01978
would like to point out that from what I have read and from looking at my wife's report on credit karma, they only show a brief description of your true score, her score was over 40 points higher through transunion than karma... and with karma you are giving them authority to share your info with 3rd parties. also not transunion are one of the three credit bureau's unlike karma.
Also the score itself is worthless.

It's all down to history for pretty much everything, until you get to mortgages.
Old May 11th 2012, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jedimark01978
Creditkarma does use info from Transunion, however it is worked out slightly differently: http://www.creditkarma.com/question/...ditkarma-score

FWIW, I find CreditKarma to be a pretty reasonable and free way to keep tabs on yourself, but its not going to give you your true score.

Regarding information sharing....its a little bit irrelevant in this day and age - like it or not, your information is all over the place any; this doesn't really represent any particular added risk. If you ever use a credit card, anywhere, you are subject to your information being stolen - for example, the huge data breaches experienced by supermarkets, banks etc....no matter how careful you think you are, if someone hacks systems of a major company or a credit clearing agency there's nothing you can do about it if your card details are amongst the millions compromised. They only way to combat it is to always keep a close eye on your accounts and report as soon as you spot something awry.