Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Credit Rating/Cellphones/Credit Cards etc...

Credit Rating/Cellphones/Credit Cards etc...

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Credit Rating/Cellphones/Credit Cards etc...

I found this kinda interesting... obviously I have no credit history here - I had a friend in a bank run a credit report on me and there was nothing there - I wasn't sure if rent, utilties etc were reported to the credit agencies.

Anyways, I couldn't clearly get a regular credit card so I secured a card with Plains Bank - duff deal? Yeah, for sure. But the plus is that they report to all 3 agencies - you have a $250 limit and there is a $250 application fee which is debited to your account upon opening. Minimum payment is $25 a month and the only way you can free up credit is by paying off the fee - additionally, they refund the fee in full throughout an 18 month period. Interest rate is very high at around 20% if I remember correctly - but I have no intentions of using it except to make payments every month.

Anyway, curiously about 1 month after getting this card and only making one payment - I was looking at cellphone - I had a Virgin Pay as You Go and the cost was ridiculous I felt I looked at Sprint and the guy said I should try applying anyway etc and half heartedly I agreed expecting the usual decline but I got accepted

Free nifty little camera phone, $35 a month and unlimited nationwide minutes after 7 every night and all weekend, plus 300 anytime minutes to use at other times. International for $4 a month and 6 cents a min to the UK.

It would appear that I finally exist here. Not sure if its a good or bad thing - seems like my bills are gradually catching up with what I had at home!!!
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 9:43 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Rating/Cellphones/Credit Cards etc...

Originally Posted by Lesley1020
I found this kinda interesting... obviously I have no credit history here - I had a friend in a bank run a credit report on me and there was nothing there - I wasn't sure if rent, utilties etc were reported to the credit agencies.

Anyways, I couldn't clearly get a regular credit card so I secured a card with Plains Bank - duff deal? Yeah, for sure. But the plus is that they report to all 3 agencies - you have a $250 limit and there is a $250 application fee which is debited to your account upon opening. Minimum payment is $25 a month and the only way you can free up credit is by paying off the fee - additionally, they refund the fee in full throughout an 18 month period. Interest rate is very high at around 20% if I remember correctly - but I have no intentions of using it except to make payments every month.

Anyway, curiously about 1 month after getting this card and only making one payment - I was looking at cellphone - I had a Virgin Pay as You Go and the cost was ridiculous I felt I looked at Sprint and the guy said I should try applying anyway etc and half heartedly I agreed expecting the usual decline but I got accepted

Free nifty little camera phone, $35 a month and unlimited nationwide minutes after 7 every night and all weekend, plus 300 anytime minutes to use at other times. International for $4 a month and 6 cents a min to the UK.

It would appear that I finally exist here. Not sure if its a good or bad thing - seems like my bills are gradually catching up with what I had at home!!!

That's interesting! Our bank told us to apply for a line of credit with them and that would help with the credit situation for me, gonna have to get myself down to the sprint store (do they have a store?!!!!) to see if it has made any difference!
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 9:44 pm
Franklin

Now that you have a "certain presence" you might get cloned a few times ... ID theft is a growing problem. You might want to keep a close eye on your credit card statements and credit reports.

Apparently (meaning I don't really know) there may be a way of getting free credit reports ...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=298270

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Dec 2nd 2004 at 10:02 pm.

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 9:47 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

No, no no!

Always take the secured credit card from the big bank to start the ball rolling. It should cost you no more than $25 all in, and six months after it's issued you're on your way to a Fico score!

Too late now! I leave this post for others...
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you got the phone because you were spending money. The staff at my local Best Buy said they would get me a store card if I was to spend more than $1000. I turned it down because I thought it was probably a sales tactic.

-tom
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 10:03 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

a card with Plains Bank - duff deal? Yeah, for sure.
Words of advice @ bankrate.com
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 12:46 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
No, no no!

Always take the secured credit card from the big bank to start the ball rolling. It should cost you no more than $25 all in, and six months after it's issued you're on your way to a Fico score!

Too late now! I leave this post for others...
Totally agree

For anyone else thinking about a secured card, get one from bank of america, chase or citi

In fact, if you really want, get 2

And then in a couple of months get a target guest card
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 1:16 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
Apparently (meaning I don't really know) there may be a way of getting free credit reports ...
Click through from the link on the FTC page here to get your free report.
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 1:40 am
Franklin

CHEERS!

Old Dec 3rd 2004, 2:45 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Tried those. I only get so far and then they say "can not verify identity online."

This credit stuff is a major life stopping red tape pain in the f**king arse
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 2:50 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

this free report thing IS great

however, its a bit annoying that it will essentially mean even more revenue for the three CRAs in the end (considering experian and transunions cust service SUCKS)

pulling my CR was addictive for me for a while... equifax reaped the profits

you know what they say, any publicity is good publicity