Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Credit Check for Job

Credit Check for Job

Old Feb 2nd 2006, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

evanio1978 has a spectacular aura aboutevanio1978 has a spectacular aura aboutevanio1978 has a spectacular aura about
Default Credit Check for Job

Hi

I just recently arrived in the US on a fiancee visa and moving over to perm resident. I have landed a job which they are now doing a background check.

Out of interest can US companies tap into UK credit checking facilities ?
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 5:01 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Check for Job

Originally Posted by evanio1978
Hi

I just recently arrived in the US on a fiancee visa and moving over to perm resident. I have landed a job which they are now doing a background check.

Apparently they can - but are unlikely to for a job
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

evanio1978 has a spectacular aura aboutevanio1978 has a spectacular aura aboutevanio1978 has a spectacular aura about

it's interesting - because in the US they search your credit by your SS number and only your SS Number. This distingushes you from anyone else.

But with the UK the system is so F'd Up they search by house / DOB and is no means an accruate science.

I remember when I applied for a loan and being denied credit at Natwest in the UK and walking into HSBC two months later with a change of address as I had moved and being given a good deal.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 5:11 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

it's interesting - because in the US they search your credit by your SS number and only your SS Number. This distingushes you from anyone else.

But with the UK the system is so F'd Up they search by house / DOB and is no means an accruate science.

I remember when I applied for a loan and being denied credit at Natwest in the UK and walking into HSBC two months later with a change of address as I had moved and being given a good deal.
By the way - the reason i say they can is cos they use companies like transunion and experian for the background check. Experian have uk offices (in fact i think they are a uk firm) and i believe they have the capabilities to check your uk rating however its not likely to be the kind of thing they do as a matter of course.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

that's interesting Experian is over here.

Doing some quick research now on google it's shown the UK Government introduced the Data Protection Act which stops them sharing information with foreign entities (including credit history).
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 5:16 pm
Thinking about it

that's interesting Experian is over here.

Doing some quick research now on google it's shown the UK Government introduced the Data Protection Act which stops them sharing information with foreign entities (including credit history).
Yep - they have offices right across the street from me - think they're based in nottingham back home.
I wonder how the DP act would deal with experian pulling your uk file in the us ??
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Equifax and Eperian are both used extensively in the UK.
Data Protection Act (DPA) has specific exclusions around credit history reporting - for example if you request a report (you can buy them in UK as here) it will give you everyone at same address with same surname even without that persons permission and that is not a breach!

That said as no lending institutions over in the US take your UK credit history into account I think it is highly unlikely that they will use this info.

As already noted the US is SSN driven so they probably wouldn't be able to link you to your UK past!
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Have you got something to hide?
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 5:25 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

it's interesting - because in the US they search your credit by your SS number and only your SS Number.
Poppycock!
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Came on hard times 4 years ago with a credit card. Ended up getting it sorted but record is not the best and is only repaired after 7 years. Not ashamed to hide it but also interested in the DP act.