Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Credit cards/banks no social security no.

Credit cards/banks no social security no.

Old Mar 4th 2006, 2:32 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit cards/banks no social security no.

Originally Posted by Elvira
Yes, but you get stitched up with the currency exchange rate and fees. Plus you need to have money in the UK to pay the bills.
Nope, I pay with a US check, and the exchange rate is pretty close to market rates. Bill shows payment in dollars and then GBP equivalent and it's always a fair rate (and no fees). Been doing it that way for years.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Nope, I pay with a US check, and the exchange rate is pretty close to market rates. Bill shows payment in dollars and then GBP equivalent and it's always a fair rate (and no fees). Been doing it that way for years.

which credit card is it?

A few companies close the account if you move overseas as your debt become higher risk and hard to collect.

To OP - as stated you can open a checking account most places without SSN and get an ATM or debit card - credit get a bit more interesting!!
Old Mar 4th 2006, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Drebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm with the Nat West and Halifax and had no problem with changing my address, they now send everything stateside.
Interesting.

Though I'd have second-thoughts about Natwest, as for me in the past couple of years I doubt they could organise a pissup in a brewery... let alone a change of address to another country.

I got a bank account here in CA without a SSN (was still waiting for it to appear) with Bank Of America. USBank in CO also gave me an account without one.

If you are living here you need to get a SS straight away. Its very difficult to obtaining anything without one.
Not really. The only problem I've found both times I lived here was the utilities in accomodation. That just meant I had to pay a refundable deposit to start service.

Though I guess if you're eligible to get one and you're here for an extended amount of time, it'd be silly not to.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 4:03 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

If you have no SS# and are getting a blank at a bank for an account then ask the clerk for a "W8" form and you can open and account with just a passport. I didnt even have proof of my US address. Got a checking account and initially a debit card. Then when i got my SS# I just popped back in and had them update the records.
HOWEVER!!!! This was before alot of homeland security dabbling in the banking business with regard to foreign nationals holding accounts so no promising it's still allowed.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 12:29 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
which credit card is it?

A few companies close the account if you move overseas as your debt become higher risk and hard to collect.

To OP - as stated you can open a checking account most places without SSN and get an ATM or debit card - credit get a bit more interesting!!
Barclaycard Visa. I used to send money back then about 10 years ago I was on the phone to them about a missed payment and I was explaining the difficulties of dealing with US banks and the woman said "You know you can send us a US check, don't you?".

Never been a problem for them that I am overseas, they have increased my debt limit on several occasions, and moved me up to a gold card (and I'm not exactly what you'd call a big spender).
Old Mar 4th 2006, 7:55 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice, I working on an L1 visa getting paid in the UK as I work for the parent company of the US company hence no SSN.

I do all my banking online so that helps.

I'll checkout Fargo Well's there's a branch down town, tried Bank of America but they don't have a branchs in Colorado and they told me that I would have to go into a branch to open the account.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britontour
Thanks for all the advice, I working on an L1 visa getting paid in the UK as I work for the parent company of the US company hence no SSN.

I do all my banking online so that helps.

I'll checkout Fargo Well's there's a branch down town, tried Bank of America but they don't have a branchs in Colorado and they told me that I would have to go into a branch to open the account.
Get a SSN, L status allows for it.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 8:05 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Get a SSN, L status allows for it.
If I get a SSN does that mean that I would have to submit tax forms?

I know if I stay longer I will have to look into paying tax anyway I will start looking into it Monday as I think I'm going to be here alot longer than I first anticipated anyway, yep I might be hassling you guys about the GC application soon, I know search the posts
Old Mar 4th 2006, 8:15 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I know this has been asked a few times but I don't have a social security number. I have been using my UK credit cards and bank cards but I keep getting problems because the billing address is a UK address and alot of systems can't handle that especially if payment is for something connected to my USA address.

Is it possible to get either a credit or bank card without the SSN and at the moment I may never get one although I could be here for a while in the USA.

Any banks or credit cards you would recommend?
Hello
We bank with Citizens. Had no problem opening the account before we moved here. We came to househunt and called in at the local branch and they opened a checking account with a debit card with an opening balance of $20. It helped that we bank in the UK with Royal Bank of Scotland.
Credit card with Wells Fargo. Again no problem, we arranged it before we moved here and the cards arrived at our new house a few days after we did.Our mortgage is with Wells Fargo so that may have helped.

Although my OH has a SS number now, he didn't have one when we opened the bank account and the credit card.
I am on an H4 visa and don't have a SS number but Adelphia let me set up the cable account in my name as did the water company.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:44 pm
The American Job

Yep got an account with Well Fargo no problem, just needed my passport and driving liciense.

What's that all about choosing which checks you want? seems like a money maker to me.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If I get a SSN does that mean that I would have to submit tax forms?

I know if I stay longer I will have to look into paying tax anyway I will start looking into it Monday as I think I'm going to be here alot longer than I first anticipated anyway, yep I might be hassling you guys about the GC application soon, I know search the posts
The extent that you have to pay tax is dependent of IRS regulations.

There are millions who have SSN's and do not pay tax and quite a few who do pay tax and do not have SSN's.

SS, IRS, Immigration, DMV all have their own regulations, sometimes they coincide, but that seems to be the exception.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 11:16 pm
Notts - CT

nottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Boiler
The extent that you have to pay tax is dependent of IRS regulations.

There are millions who have SSN's and do not pay tax and quite a few who do pay tax and do not have SSN's.

SS, IRS, Immigration, DMV all have their own regulations, sometimes they coincide, but that seems to be the exception.
Wachovia we opened ours with a passport no probs. couldn't you get a ITIN (individual taxpayer identification number) if you are not eligible for a SSN.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 8:47 pm
Utter Newbie

st326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud of

I managed to open a current account and obtain a debit card from Bank of America in Mountain View, CA before my SSN came through. It turned out to be no problem at all (mind you, I opened the account by paying in a cheque from the US government (NASA) for a couple of thousand dollars, so that might have helped!)