Credit

Old May 12th 2008, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of
Default Credit

Just thought I would share my experience with credit in the US.

I arrived in the US on the 27th December 2007. Until 4 weeks ago I didn't supply for any credit.

4 weeks ago I applied for a Macy's store card. At the time I had no US Driving License. I got turned down at the till, no problem I thought as it is what I expected. 1 Week later I got a letter in the mail from Macy's asking for me to confirm my identity and where I lived, I sent a utility bill to them and last week got my Macy's card with a $200 limit.

I was surprised but was very pleased as it started me on my way, even with the small limit. Today I applied for another store card and got approved at the till, I got a $2000 limit. Finally tonight, I applied for an AA miles card and was approved over the net with a $6000 limit.

To say I am surprised is an under statement, I have no history here yet and have made no payments to any creditor, but I have gone from a standing start to $8200 credit line in 3 weeks.

So, it can be done, I'm waiting now for 3 months or so and intend to buy a motorbike, half cash and half credit, will let you know how that goes.
Old May 12th 2008, 3:32 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit

my husband did a credit check tonight - we have been here 7 months and he has had a lease car since january so made 5 payments so far. He had a 700 rating with just that account alone.
Old May 12th 2008, 3:34 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

They wonder why there's a credit crisis too.
Old May 12th 2008, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
my husband did a credit check tonight - we have been here 7 months and he has had a lease car since january so made 5 payments so far. He had a 700 rating with just that account alone.
We've been here a year and have 650. But that's probably down to the massive amount of credit card debt we have already amassed and the two cars we've bought...
Old May 12th 2008, 5:16 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
He is very fortunate - that's quite a good score!
Old May 12th 2008, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

mikethecameraman has a spectacular aura aboutmikethecameraman has a spectacular aura aboutmikethecameraman has a spectacular aura about

I have been here since Sept 2007.... have one credit card with BOA which was easy to get... have been running the card since the end of Jan when I finally got my SSN after 16 weeks of waiting (don't get me started) and my credit score is 727....
I have even started getting junk post inviting me to have visa or mastercard...

Er just thought I would announce that to the world... well you guys anyway.
Old May 13th 2008, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Just to tack onto this thread:

I got an American Express with $5000 limit organized before I arrived here (global transfer from my aussie card). I arrived at the very end of Feb.

Today I checked my credit and I have a credit score of 686.
Old May 13th 2008, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Not checked score yet but I got a Best Buy card last week with a $1500 limit.
Applied online. Very basic information needed. They did have me phone to confirm ID but that was it.
Old May 13th 2008, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

A credit score is only one piece of the puzzle. For anything major credit history is equally, if not slightly more, important. When I got my car loan a few years ago I had a credit account of my own with a $2500 limit and an average credit score of just over 720. When I went to sign the loan they wouldn't let me because my credit history was only 9 months so I had to get a co-signer. Even now when I check my credit scores and reports I get told that even though they are all between 720 and 750 and I've got a 5 year history that my history isn't long enough to be considered low risk.
Old May 13th 2008, 3:24 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
A credit score is only one piece of the puzzle. For anything major credit history is equally, if not slightly more, important. When I got my car loan a few years ago I had a credit account of my own with a $2500 limit and an average credit score of just over 720. When I went to sign the loan they wouldn't let me because my credit history was only 9 months so I had to get a co-signer. Even now when I check my credit scores and reports I get told that even though they are all between 720 and 750 and I've got a 5 year history that my history isn't long enough to be considered low risk.
I agree. DH has had a SSN just since Oct. He co-signed my car loan to start building credit at Xmas. In one month he had a score of 700. When we bought a new comp. last week he applied for/received a Circuit City card with a $2500 limit. It's 3-month same-as-cash that will be paid off before the promotion ends. However, I doubt that he would be able to get a home mortgage on his own at this point.
Old May 13th 2008, 3:26 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikethecameraman
I have even started getting junk post inviting me to have visa or mastercard...

Er just thought I would announce that to the world... well you guys anyway.

Welcome to the U.S. Both of my kids started getting junk invites when they were in high school (under 18 years old).
Old May 13th 2008, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Its the one thing that has gone wrong for us, so far. Been here just over four weeks,wifes got a B of A credit card but no pin no yet,my joint one hasnt surfaced yet.Both got debit cards with no probs but we have been refused a satellite system through Dish via At&T on a bundle cos I havent got a credit history ?Thats cos I just arrived that's why ? So I got an At&T landline Internet high speed connection but a 37 " Tv with no programmes for the forseeable future and they wont accept my world wide Visa card as it pertains to the UK ! Not a happy bunny !!
Old May 13th 2008, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I got Directv with no ssn or credit history.

And I went to Walgreens and got a reloadable prepaid credit card and used that to pay for stuff that needed a US card.
Old May 13th 2008, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Great idea - I have an amex and mastercard but no visa. Something I wanted to buy online said you had to use a visa and I was stressing out.. but I'm going to RiteAid tonight to buy a reloadable one!
Old May 13th 2008, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

nadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to all

Originally Posted by augigi
Great idea - I have an amex and mastercard but no visa. Something I wanted to buy online said you had to use a visa and I was stressing out.. but I'm going to RiteAid tonight to buy a reloadable one!

what was your limit on the american express card in australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.