Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

CR1 - hypothetical question (re divorce)

CR1 - hypothetical question (re divorce)

Old Oct 10th 2005, 8:02 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CR1 - hypothetical question (re divorce)

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
...what you are proposing not sounding healthy is doesn't sound legal. I'm not sure but staying married for the purpose of getting citizenship may be illegal.
I'm kind of afraid of that, too, although usually it's the immigrant who stays married in order to gain citizenship. I just happen to be a really nice person. I certainly don't want to do anything illegal. I've got enough problems as it is.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I have some decisions to make.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 8:18 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I have some decisions to make.
I genuinely wish you all the best with your decsions. I'll be thinking of you.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 8:19 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Wishing you all the best.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:32 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
I am the USC and my husband is the UKC. I just don't think we're going to "make it", but would stay married to him for another 2 years so he could get his US citizenship - if that's the easiest/quickest way for that to happen. It may sound stupid, but at least something good would come out of all this if he could at least get his citizenship.

I made a big mistake when saying "I do" - I was just out of a divorce after a 25-year marriage. What was I thinking?

We've been talking about going back to the UK but the more I think about it, the more I believe that, under the circumstances, it would not be the right thing for me to do.

We had a great couple of years in London (we married in July 2004), but we've been over here now since Oct. 2004 and ... well ... I've spent ALL of my divorce settlement money (visas, airline tickets, setting up new household, buying cars, etc.). He hasn't found full-time work YET (I did finally get him a part-time job where I work). I'm going through breast cancer treatment and not actually receiving the emotional or physical support from him that I need. We have already been in marital counseling, but he didn't like the counselor (said she was anti-men), blah blah blah.

My daughter was his sponsor as I had been living in London with him and at the time of his application, and had no regular income. Had money in the bank but not enough to meet the requirements.

Suggestions?
DDL, I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles
I read a lot of objections from him in that post, and objections are just asking to be overcome.. ie, go to another counselor. Has he thought about how he will support himself/you if he hangs around for citizenship? That might light a fire under him to take some actioin with the relationship, or at least with the employment.

You should also keep in mind that altho he would be eligible to apply for natualization 90 days before his 3rd anniversary as a PR (if you stick with the marriage angle), the process to oath may take another year on top of that, during which time he has to remain married to and living with you.

As for the I-864, he is not supposed to be able to receive any means-tested benefits for the first 5 years in the US (which are what the gov't could sue to get back), and if you feel you could trust him to apply N-400 at the 5 year mark, your daughter would be off the hook then.

I can't say anything about the bigger picture, other than look out for yourself. If you don't keep on top of your own health and wellbeing now, it could all be a moot point anyway.
Best wishes that things work out just the way you need.