Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Old Nov 26th 2021, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

The lift of the ban may very well turn out to be short-lived given the new variant “Omicron”.
Old Nov 26th 2021, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

I really, really hope not. It's only 1 week until I return to the UK for Christmas for the first time since 2019!
Old Nov 27th 2021, 5:27 am
fstanfield

fiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for all your information. It has helped a lot.
Old Nov 27th 2021, 5:37 am
fstanfield

fiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond repute

Where would I find the passenger locator form? Thank you in advance.
Old Nov 27th 2021, 7:42 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fiona stanfield
Where would I find the passenger locator form? Thank you in advance.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/passenge...m-how-to-guide

You create an account for yourself in the passenger locator system (you can do this anytime.) Then, when you are ready to fill in the form, log in and follow the prompts. I’m looking at my passenger locator form that I created a day or two before flying to Heathrow on Oct 8. It is basically your name, contact information, flight information, and (importantly) day 2 test package booking reference.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Dean11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a US/UK dual national, vaccinated, looking to travel to the UK soon as my Mum is very ill.

I have a question about the testing requirements prior to boarding a flight to the UK, and also returning to the USA. In the event I was to test positive and cannot board my flight I'm assuming I would lose the cost of my flight ticket? Are there any reputable insurance companies that would cover this scenario and refund you the cost of the flight? Anyone got experience they can share? Thanks.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dean11
I'm a US/UK dual national, vaccinated, looking to travel to the UK soon as my Mum is very ill.

I have a question about the testing requirements prior to boarding a flight to the UK, and also returning to the USA. In the event I was to test positive and cannot board my flight I'm assuming I would lose the cost of my flight ticket? Are there any reputable insurance companies that would cover this scenario and refund you the cost of the flight? Anyone got experience they can share? Thanks.
I think most airlines don’t have any change fees at the moment, so can move a flight without penalty. I’ve booked and moved multiple flights in the last year, even a few days before a planned trip.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 6:25 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

that depends on what type of ticket and what airline it’s with. I believe some are also waiving change fees with CV19. UA as an example below:

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/covid-update.html

I would check carefully and base your choice on that and it being a direct flight on an airline with multiple flights a day on that route to minimize issues.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 9:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry to hear about your mum. Having a seriously ill parent is dreadful at the best of time but it Covidtimes I can’t imagine the added stress. you will get to see her and get back without too much hassle. I wish your mum all the very best. Good luck.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies. It's good to know some airlines are offering the option to cancel and rebook later, that's one less thing to worry about. I'll make sure to contact airlines first before booking any flights so I'm certain of their cancellation policies.
Old Dec 7th 2021, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

I am flying in two weeks with Delta and they are offering the option to cancel and convert to a credit, allowing you to re-book later. With the ever changing landscape they've decided to become best e-mail friends with me, almost a daily update being sent and reminding me I can re-book.
Old Dec 7th 2021, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Is it best to purchase a particular type of ticket that allows the flexibility to cancel if needed due to positive Covid test? I'm guessing that something like Basic Economy would be too restrictive. I know American and Delta have a Main Cabin class ticket. Would that suffice? I'm not sure what the United Airlines equivalent is.

I did check with the airlines this morning. United said Basic Economy was not refundable, Delta seemed to imply any ticket was refundable, American said to check the small print before booking which was a bit vague! Therefore I'd be interested to know what ticket types people are buying these days that would credit me the flight if I could not board and had to cancel.
Old Dec 7th 2021, 3:30 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

British Airways probably has the best policy for transatlantic travel. They partner with American so you can fly from anywhere in the US on AA to a British Airlines gateway and pick up the transatlantic flight from there. So long as your flights are marketed with a BA flight number then they will allow you to cancel or change your flights with no change fee, although you would have to pay any difference if the fare on your new dates is higher than the original (you get a credit if it is lower). If you do cancel you will get a voucher for the amount paid, and you can use that up until the end of September 2023.

I believe you can even use the vouchers for domestic AA flights, so long as they are marketed with a BA flight number. You should book on the BA.com site to ensure that. Do not go through a travel agent, that just complicated things.
Old Dec 7th 2021, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
British Airways probably has the best policy for transatlantic travel. They partner with American so you can fly from anywhere in the US on AA to a British Airlines gateway and pick up the transatlantic flight from there. So long as your flights are marketed with a BA flight number then they will allow you to cancel or change your flights with no change fee, although you would have to pay any difference if the fare on your new dates is higher than the original (you get a credit if it is lower). If you do cancel you will get a voucher for the amount paid, and you can use that up until the end of September 2023.

I believe you can even use the vouchers for domestic AA flights, so long as they are marketed with a BA flight number. You should book on the BA.com site to ensure that. Do not go through a travel agent, that just complicated things.
Thanks. I'd completely forgot about British Airways, I will check them too.