Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A couple of questions-BritAmerican baby & passport

A couple of questions-BritAmerican baby & passport

Old Aug 20th 2010, 12:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A couple of questions-BritAmerican baby & passport

Originally Posted by JAJ
Asked by whom? And if she hadn't had the letter, what would have happened? Legal options only.
I have no idea what would have happened as I wasn't there...it was when I lived in the UK.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 3:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Who's "they"?

There is no systematic exit control in the USA and the requirement for parental consent is usually looked at as part of the passport application. People need to make up their own minds but if they (or someone) was demanding this kind of letter and people being refused travel, don't you think you'd read about it a little in the newspapers?
Have read about it in the newspapers.

It isn't exit control, but airlines not wanting to get involved in custody disputes with dual citizens taking kids aboard without permission.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 3:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Have read about it in the newspapers.
But no references?

It isn't exit control, but airlines not wanting to get involved in custody disputes with dual citizens taking kids aboard without permission.
Airlines have no particular right to do this and are asking for lawsuits if they do.
And how are they to know that the "consent letter" isn't fake?

In any case, I have never seen a US airline mention this as part of its requirements to travel. Obviously if they have concerns in a particular case, they do have the right to call local law enforcement. But there is no de-facto exit visa/consent requirement for children in most developed countries, Canada appearing to be the exception.

Last edited by JAJ; Aug 20th 2010 at 3:59 am.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 12:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
But no references?

Airlines have no particular right to do this and are asking for lawsuits if they do.
And how are they to know that the "consent letter" isn't fake?

In any case, I have never seen a US airline mention this as part of its requirements to travel. Obviously if they have concerns in a particular case, they do have the right to call local law enforcement. But there is no de-facto exit visa/consent requirement for children in most developed countries, Canada appearing to be the exception.
I can't be arsed to google, but the stories are out there. It happens.

The airlines can ask for whatever they want, if they don't want to fly you, they don't have to. And a notarised letter is a legal document.

They do this because they got sued more when they let parents take kids on flights aboard willy nilly to find out that there was a custody dispute and the kid was being kidnapped.

Like I said, they don't ask all the time, but they can and they do on occasion, especially when some one is a dual citizen parent travelling with a kid on their own.

It's just a fact of life, accept it.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I can't be arsed to google, but the stories are out there. It happens.

The airlines can ask for whatever they want, if they don't want to fly you, they don't have to. And a notarised letter is a legal document.

They do this because they got sued more when they let parents take kids on flights aboard willy nilly to find out that there was a custody dispute and the kid was being kidnapped.

Like I said, they don't ask all the time, but they can and they do on occasion, especially when some one is a dual citizen parent travelling with a kid on their own.

It's just a fact of life, accept it.
Sued by whom?

Documentation to travel is country dependent. Some countries demand consent documentation for children. Others don't. Details at, for example,:
http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...tion/index.jsp

That shows which countries require parental consent documentation.

American Airlines say the same thing - depends on where you're going, etc:
Minors under the age of 18 who are traveling with only one parent may be required to have additional documentation if leaving their country of residence. Please contact the nearest Consulate of the country to which you are traveling for additional information.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...nTraveling.jsp
Old Aug 21st 2010, 3:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/17/tr...dnap.html?_r=1 has a bit more about whether/why you need a letter of consent.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

ok, babys passport arrived and our flights are booked, hubby is going to get a letter written as im returning with the little one 2 weeks after he does, though i cant imagine the flight back being too much trouble as baby will be entering america on an american passport - better to be safe then sorry!

anyway just another quick question:

When leaving the US, do me, husband and baby all go through security together or seperatly? he has one ticket, i have another with the babies info on, but we're on same flight out.

and when entering the UK can my husband and baby come in the same security line as me or do i have to go thru the UK/EU line and him go thru a different line?
Old Sep 18th 2010, 10:16 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
ok, babys passport arrived and our flights are booked, hubby is going to get a letter written as im returning with the little one 2 weeks after he does, though i cant imagine the flight back being too much trouble as baby will be entering america on an american passport - better to be safe then sorry!

anyway just another quick question:

When leaving the US, do me, husband and baby all go through security together or seperatly? he has one ticket, i have another with the babies info on, but we're on same flight out.

and when entering the UK can my husband and baby come in the same security line as me or do i have to go thru the UK/EU line and him go thru a different line?
Not sure what you meant by security - there aren't separate queues for different citizens so this isn't an issue. No need for the family to be split up regardless.

As for entering the UK you can all go through together. I can't remember which queue you're meant to use (EU queue or non-EU queue). If it were me then I'd just take advantage and pick the shorter! Someone else may come along and give a more official answer though...

Mrs tonrob is expecting, so I'll have all of this to go through next year!
Old Sep 18th 2010, 4:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob

A baby sprout

Hugs to you both
Old Sep 18th 2010, 6:19 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
A baby sprout

Hugs to you both
She will be the first baby weaned on chillies and vindaloo.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Not sure what you meant by security - there aren't separate queues for different citizens so this isn't an issue. No need for the family to be split up regardless.

As for entering the UK you can all go through together. I can't remember which queue you're meant to use (EU queue or non-EU queue). If it were me then I'd just take advantage and pick the shorter! Someone else may come along and give a more official answer though...

Congratulations! Do they make vindaloo baby food now?
Old Sep 19th 2010, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Congratulations! Do they make vindaloo baby food now?
Have not people on the Indian subcontinent been doing so for years?
Old Sep 19th 2010, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Have not people on the Indian subcontinent been doing so for years?
But vindaloo?
Old Sep 19th 2010, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

lonestargirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats tonrob, I am also expecting a dual-citizen baby in the New Year.

In terms of annecdotal vs actual experiences of one parent bringing a child through immigration my friend was questioned for 1.5 hours in secondary in Houston last year. She is a Norweigan citizen, LPR through marriage to a USC (for 5+ years at this time) and was bringing her 6-month old USC child back to Houston following a visit to her parents. She did not change her name when she got married and was asked how she could prove that the child was hers, she didn't have a letter of consent or the birth cert with her and was unable to do so. They let her through eventually.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.