Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

couch-surfing in California

Wikiposts

couch-surfing in California

Old Jun 30th 2008, 7:31 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: couch-surfing in California

Originally Posted by dmu
Thank you all for your replies, both positive and negative. I'm overwhelmed at the response.
Maybe I didn't put my question properly. I meant to ask whether any one out there was in the couch-surfing thing or knew some one in it. The people on the French forum are virtual friends and I'd feel easy recommending a friend's daugher to them for couch-surfing if the occasion arose. Otherwise the hosts are absolute strangers, which is a bit worrisome, to say the least, despite what Duncan Roberts says.
As it is, Claire did a lot of it in East Europe this Spring with friends and it worked out very well. But this was Europe and she wasn't alone. I just wanted to avoid the danger of her contacting a nutter (and maybe some of the BEs in the Forum are nutters after all, I'll certainly warn her to avoid Denver) and, in any case, I've meanwhile managed to persuade her to consider our paying for a students' hostel. Just keep your fingers crossed she doesn't share a dorm with a serial killer...
@ Ray, unfortunately she won't have a car, so can't consider a Motel.
Thanks once again for all your comments, I really appreciate them, even Irn-bru's.
'Cause serial killers don't exist in Europe...? Haven't you seen Hostel? That should tell you all you need to know.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Her movement is going to be very restricted then ...
I'll say... how is she planning on travelling around California and Nevada with no car
Old Jun 30th 2008, 7:36 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
I'll say... how is she planning on travelling around California and Nevada with no car
I would never get on public transport here in Fl ..let alone there ..
limited as it is ...
Old Jun 30th 2008, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I've always felt safe on public buses in San Diego and in Los Angeles.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 7:39 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I've always felt safe on public buses in San Diego and in Los Angeles.
Your braver than me then ....
Old Jun 30th 2008, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

In San Diego, if she was staying at one of the hostels either downtown or in Pacific Beach, it would be pretty easy to get around on public transport to most of the main tourist spots. I've encountered the odd nutter on the bus and probably wouldn't travel on it alone late at night, but generally I would say it is pretty safe.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 7:46 am
Ray

Originally Posted by Socal Local
In San Diego, if she was staying at one of the hostels either downtown or in Pacific Beach, it would be pretty easy to get around on public transport to most of the main tourist spots. I've encountered the odd nutter on the bus and probably wouldn't travel on it alone late at night, but generally I would say it is pretty safe.
I will admit I have not used the LA system since 1970 ...
it might have changed a bit
Old Jun 30th 2008, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I will admit I have not used the LA system since 1970 ...
it might have changed a bit
I did it a few times last summer, between Torrance and Union Station and vice versa. People seemed really friendly and helpful, especially on the journey out of town. The latest bus I caught was 8pm though, so not that late!
Old Jun 30th 2008, 7:58 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Her movement is going to be very restricted then ...
I agree, but presume Greyhound buses still exist? Maybe trains? That is in fact HER problem. MY problem is coping with the idea of her ending up in one of the "Experts" episodes (or whatever it's called in English, the series with Gary Sinise/David Caruso et al).
Once again, thanks to you all for your comments.
Just one more question, what's an OP, which I apparently am? I may be a Senior Member in the French Forum but hope it doesn't mean Old Pensioner....
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dmu
I agree, but presume Greyhound buses still exist? Maybe trains? That is in fact HER problem. MY problem is coping with the idea of her ending up in one of the "Experts" episodes (or whatever it's called in English, the series with Gary Sinise/David Caruso et al).
Just one more question, what's an OP, which I apparently am? I may be a Senior Member in the French Forum but hope it doesn't mean Old Pensioner....
Original poster
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:20 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Old Pervert. Onion Purveyor.
Original Pangster.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Hello to you all!
I'm just zapping from the French forum, but I've got a specific question to ask.

My daughter (22) is going to visit her cousin in San Francisco at the end of the week and intends to visit L.A., San Diego, Las Vegas, too, to make the trip from Europe worthwhile. Having done couch-surfing in Europe, she is thinking of getting such accommodation in California/Nevada, but I'm not overly keen on the idea!
So I wondered whether anyone out there knows of British expats in those cities who would be willing to put Claire up for a night or two, say mid-July. She would obviously pay (although this couch-surfing is apparently free). I would feel more at ease if she stayed with BE forum participants or their friends!
Thanks in advance for any hints.
have a nice day
Diana
You are joking aren't you? You are not seriously asking internet strangers to house another internet stranger?
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:06 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You are joking aren't you? You are not seriously asking internet strangers to house another internet stranger?
No and No. After the original posting, I re-worded my query.
It's bedtime in France, so goodnight one and all.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
No and No. After the original posting, I re-worded my query.
It's bedtime in France, so goodnight one and all.
The second one is obviously a yes ('I would feel more at ease if she stayed with BE forum participants or their friends!')...because unless you have actually met we could all be serial killers for all you know. I find the fact that you are asking complete cyber strangers to house your daughter very disturbing.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 30th 2008 at 9:16 am.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The second one is obviously a yes because unless you have actually met we could all me serial killers for all you know.
Put down the bowl Jerseyo!

O, serial killer! I thought you meant cereal killer!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.