Reload this Page >

Costing of moving 3 cats from London to Florida

Costing of moving 3 cats from London to Florida

Old Jul 21st 2014, 10:47 am
Just Joined

courtb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Costing of moving 3 cats from London to Florida

Hello!

We are in the process of moving to the states (10 weeks!) and have decided to fly with our cats in the cabin. With Lufthansa, it costs 70 Euros per cat. Even with the cost of purchasing special cat carriers, harnesses (and time to train them on the harness), calming aids, etc. it still works out to be much cheaper than shipping them in the hold. Further, for us, it gives us peace of mind that we're the ones keeping an eye on them the whole time.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 12:34 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the other people in the cabin better not be allergic to cats then! I personally think allowing animals in the cabin is a really bad idea, even as a guardian to 3 cats myself.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 12:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I guess the other people in the cabin better not be allergic to cats then! I personally think allowing animals in the cabin is a really bad idea, even as a guardian to 3 cats myself.
I agree...especially if the pet soils the carrier.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 12:47 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Which in a 10 hour flight is almost inevitable!
Old Jul 21st 2014, 12:58 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Which in a 10 hour flight is almost inevitable!
Which is why I am looking at flying MAN-JFK direct with my 2 moggies in September. One of the shorter flight times and American Airlines let you check up to 2 pet crates as excess baggage at about 100GBP per crate. No way would I take them in the cabin, even if I could from the UK.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Well, it isn't always the safest to have your pets in the hold - they can get lost or even die. My childhood cat was left on the runway for about 30 minutes when he was flown from the east coast to west coast in the hold.

Further, there was a recent Swiss study that tested every seat on a few different airlines' planes. Every single seat, every single one, contained high amounts of the most common feline allergen - enough to trigger a reaction from the most allergic.

My husband and I will keep our cats in their carriers the whole time to prevent dander from being released into the air and will try to sit in a row of two to prevent people from being disturbed. How is this any different to people with peanut allergies - we aren't banned from bringing peanut products onto planes?
Old Jul 21st 2014, 1:08 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by courtb
How is this any different to people with peanut allergies - we aren't banned from bringing peanut products onto planes?
Because a peanut allergy usually requires consumption of said peanut
Old Jul 21st 2014, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Actually, not always. Have you met anyone with a severe peanut allergy? I worked with kids who reacted to any peanut residue on anything touching their skin. We ended up banning peanuts or food with possible traces of peanuts, because of these kids.

Most people will not have a reaction to the cats in the cat carrier as there is no additional dander being released into the air.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 1:18 pm
Often not so civil...

Like I said, i personally wouldn't do it, but then I wouldn't bring an infant onto an aircraft either. Been on the other side of it and it isn't fun.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 1:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by courtb
.... My husband and I will keep our cats in their carriers the whole time ....
I guess your fellow travellers will be thankful for that, at least.

Don't get me wrong, Mrs P and I have three cats too, but I wouldn't want to share a flight with cats in carriers, not even my own. That Lufthansa allow animals in the cabin is something I will bear in mind whenever I'm booking air travel.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I guess your fellow travellers will be thankful for that, at least.

Don't get me wrong, Mrs P and I have three cats too, but I wouldn't want to share a flight with cats in carriers, not even my own. That Lufthansa allow animals in the cabin is something I will bear in mind whenever I'm booking air travel.
It's not only cats that are allowed in the cabin. Dogs up to 6kgs (13lb) inc. crate and in my opinion these little rats sized dogs can make one helluva racket. Mine is too big to travel in the cabin, just as well. he suffers from gas.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 3:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audio
It's not only cats that are allowed in the cabin. Dogs up to 6kgs (13lb) inc. crate ....
Yeah, I know!

It surprises me that Lufthansa think it is worth accepting such a small minority of passengers (at least on long-haul flights) with the potential to cause aggravation and displeasure to so many other passengers.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 21st 2014 at 3:37 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yeah, I know!

It surprises me that Lufthansa think it is worth accepting such a small minority of passengers (at least on long-haul flights) with the potential to cause aggravation and displeasure to so many other passengers.
Yes including KLM and AirFrance
Old Jul 21st 2014, 4:17 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by audio
Yes including KLM and AirFrance
Since they're the same company (KLM & AF), that's not surprising.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Since they're the same company (KLM & AF), that's not surprising.
No not necessarily, different branches of companies especially airlines have different regs. You didn’t include Delta, they are the in the same ‘partnership’ but have different regulations I can assure you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.