Reload this Page >

Cost of prescription meds

Cost of prescription meds

Old May 19th 2010, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

El Gordo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of prescription meds

Hi there.

I'm due to spend around 14-15 months in the US beginning next summer. There's a kinda hefty list of stuff I get on prescription in the UK, and I'm told that having it posted over in parcels would most likely mean a customs impound on the medication.

So I need to cost up what it's likely to drain from my pocket to get the same or equivalent stuff in the US. Can anyone point me the right way to get some prices... perhaps a friendly local health centre/doctor/pharmacy who might answer me if I ask?

Thanks!
Old May 19th 2010, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of prescription meds

http://www.drugstore.com/

Get your prescription prices in generic version if available.
Old May 19th 2010, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. I'll check it out.
Old May 20th 2010, 12:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Please note that you will need a doctor's prescription to get prescription meds in the US. A prescription from an 'on line doctor' will not suffice. There are many websites that will sell prescription drugs without a prescription...it is illegal for such websites to sell and send drugs to US locations whether they are located in the US or overseas. Many such websites sell fake, out of date or stolen meds...so you have really no idea if what you are taking will harm you or cure you. If you do use an internet pharmacy please make sure it is a reputable one and requires a doctor's prescription.

If you have meds that have been prescribed by your UK doctor make sure they are not on the US prohibited list...some prescription meds in the UK are not allowed to be prescribed in the US. Some meds that you can buy over the counter in the UK are classed as prescription meds/controlled substances here...ie meds containing codeine.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va...xml#Medication

Edit: Here is the link to the FDA's website. It should provide you will all the information you need as to what meds and what quantity you are allowed to bring with you to the US.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 20th 2010 at 1:50 am.
Old May 20th 2010, 12:45 am
Just Joined

Ouch. $6k... I better start saving!
Old May 20th 2010, 12:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by El Gordo
Ouch. $6k... I better start saving!
Do you have US health insurance sorted?
Old May 20th 2010, 12:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Please note that you will need a doctor's prescription to get prescription meds in the US. A prescription from an 'on line doctor' will not suffice. There are many websites that will sell prescription drugs without a prescription...it is illegal for such websites to sell and send drugs to US locations whether they are located in the US or overseas. Many such websites sell fake, out of date or stolen meds...so you have really no idea if what you are taking will harm you or cure you. If you do use an internet pharmacy please make sure it is a reputable one and requires a doctor's prescription.

If you have meds that have been prescribed by your UK doctor make sure they are not on the US prohibited list...some prescription meds in the UK are not allowed to be prescribed in the US. Some meds that you can buy over the counter in the UK are classed as prescription meds/controlled substances here...ie meds containing codeine...codeine is a controlled substance in the US.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va...xml#Medication

Edit: Here is the link to the FDA's website. It should provide you will all the information you need as to what meds and what quantity you are allowed to bring with you to the US.
Yeah, I suspected my cocodamol (tylenol with codeine) would be restricted. That alone is $4500 based on that net pharmacy linked above (assuming the doctor there agrees to prescribe).

The rest is pretty regular uncontrolled stuff. Creams for graft care, support wear for damaged skin, tubular bandage, and so on. The bandage I could have shipped over but by the time I pay for a 12 month prescription pre-pay card here plus postage it'll be as cheap to source local. Normally that card would cover all the other stuff too no matter how much I needed how often, so I guess that's where the climbing costs come in for the cocodamol equivalence.

This year overseas is gonna cost me a packet!
Old May 20th 2010, 12:52 am
Just Joined

Do you have US health insurance sorted?
Not yet. I can't arrange that until early 2011, because I won't know which college I'm going to, ergo which state, and whether the college requires I buy theirs or not.
Old May 20th 2010, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I suspected my cocodamol (tylenol with codeine) would be restricted. That alone is $4500 based on that net pharmacy linked above (assuming the doctor there agrees to prescribe).

The rest is pretty regular uncontrolled stuff. Creams for graft care, support wear for damaged skin, tubular bandage, and so on. The bandage I could have shipped over but by the time I pay for a 12 month prescription pre-pay card here plus postage it'll be as cheap to source local. Normally that card would cover all the other stuff too no matter how much I needed how often, so I guess that's where the climbing costs come in for the cocodamol equivalence.

Tylenol with codine is $33-$49 per month depending on the dosage (300-30mg or 300-60 mg) at drugstore.com (unless you need multiple dosing daily) using codine as a search. It may be higher at the local pharamacy.

You will normally need to make a doctors appointment to get a prescription.

Last edited by Michael; May 20th 2010 at 1:15 am.
Old May 20th 2010, 1:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I get the impression doctors here aren't keen on prescribing regular quantities of prescription pain killing meds...probably because of addiction. My doctor here in NJ told me it's a nightmare for doctors when prescribing controlled substances...there is such a lot of form filling and red tape involved.

Edit: As Michael said you will need to see a doctor for a new prescription. There will most likely be a fee to be paid for the doctors visit...even with health insurance.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 20th 2010 at 1:30 am.
Old May 20th 2010, 1:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Michael
Tylenol with codine is $33-$49 per month depending on the dosage (300-30mg or 300-60 mg) at drugstore.com (unless you need multiple dosing daily) using codine as a search. It may be higher at the local pharamacy.

You will normally need to make a doctors appointment to get a prescription.
Yeah, did it based on needing 300/60s at 6 pills a day on average (taking 500/50s now so it's the closest available). 14 months, average 30 days a month (in truth slightly over) is 2520 pills or more simply a 180-pill box per month. Using the 180 pill boxes is 14 boxes at $2149. So I cocked up my maths somewhere (must have doubled up!), but still... kinda pricey eek!

I get the impression doctors here aren't keen on prescribing regular quantities of prescription pain killing meds...probably because of addiction. My doctor here in NJ told me it's a nightmare for doctors when prescribing controlled substances...there is such a lot of form filling and red tape involved.

Edit: As Michael said you will need to see a doctor for a new prescription. There will most likely be a fee to be paid for the doctors visit...even with health insurance.
Hmmm, hadn't thought about the cost of actual appointments. That could well take out the slack of my bad maths huh.

They're cautious with it here too, and Codeine (as an opiate) is definitely habit forming. Sadly it's the only thing that comes close to making life liveable the majority of the time for me, so I'm kinda stuck. Ho-hum

Thanks folks!
Old May 20th 2010, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Although codine is a narcotic, the FDA does not classify it as a schedule II drug (controlled substance) unless the dosage is more than 90 mg. However it may be difficult to get a doctor to prescribe 60 mg 6 times daily over a long period of time.
Old May 20th 2010, 1:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Michael
Although codine is a narcotic, the FDA does not classify it as a schedule II drug (controlled substance) unless the dosage is more than 90 mg. However it may be difficult to get a doctor to prescribe 60 mg 6 times daily over a long period of time.
Agreed...codeine is regulated by the Controlled Substances Act and amounts more than 90mg are classed as a controlled substance.

Edit: Just noticed this on the link you provided "Acetaminophen-Codeine #4 is a schedule III controlled substance and requires special ordering procedures." The special procedures don't look too special. http://www.drugstore.com/pharmacy/co...%3D00603233921

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 20th 2010 at 3:19 am.
Old May 20th 2010, 4:44 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Not yet. I can't arrange that until early 2011, because I won't know which college I'm going to, ergo which state, and whether the college requires I buy theirs or not.
The college and university plans they offer the students are usually quite a bit cheaper than going out on your own. You'll probably end up taking it as it's the best option.

Until that time, you'll need something. The last thing you want to do is be uninsured in the US for any period of time whatsoever. We have one member here who ran up $450,000 in 3 days following a major accident, all because they put off sending the insurance forms until the last minute.
Old May 20th 2010, 11:55 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Using the 180 pill boxes is 14 boxes at $2149.
Would it be any easier if you brought just a 2 or 3 months supply, and then make a quick trip to Canada to see a Dr and get a Rx for as many more as you need for the next 6 or so months? I've no idea... I'm just throwing out the suggestion.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.