Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of Medical Care

Wikiposts

Cost of Medical Care

Old Feb 18th 2006, 4:53 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Medical Care

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I'm a bit worried about you......what on earth will you do if you get pregnant in the US? You will surely need good medical care then - or will you decide to add to your family if you are back (temporarily or permanently) in the UK or Australia?

I have an Aussie friend in New Jersey whom is 41 and has had a few cycles of IVF treatment....she's due to deliver twin girls next month. She's had a heart murmur all of her life and last week had to see a cardiologist as the pregnancy is putting extra strain on her heart....fortunately she is fine but Partystar - seriously what would you do if you got pregnant here in the US without insurance?
Well, for one we use contraceptives!!! We don't plan to have another baby for another 2 years, by which point we will probably have enough money to cover medical insurance. Ultimately I'd like to move back to England, as I really don't like it over here, but time will tell on that one.

I had our son in England under the NHS & I had to see a cardiologist to make sure the baby wasn't causing any extra problems with my heart & all was well, I just had to take it easy. I've grown quite accustom to my heart problem & actively do things to reduce problems, eg, I don't run, I sit down as soon as I feel woozy, which usually stops me from fainting.

Obviously contraceptives aren't 100%, so in answer to your question, I'd probably move back to England. I'm not keen on the care they give you here when you're pregnant anyway.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 5:20 am
Notts - CT

nottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lionheart
That's what I thought
Strange, having read that maybe wording came out slightly wrong haha by no means am I living the American dream.. we live in a 2 bed rented apartment luckily I was blessed with 2 boys (1 brit born 1 US born) so they can share as there is no way the rents on a 3 bed is affordable the excellent wage that we so get is no way near enough to buy a house here but its better than any other company would offer, we own very basics but have minimal debt. My fear of Staying in Notts was it was turning really bad which is now named the Booze captiol of Britain gang capitol of Britain and also known as Shottingham.... but CT is becoming that hahaha. healthcare was a big must whne we agreed to come back and the company pay for it but turning 30 bumped it up to 840 bucks a month its killing the small business. yet it is so badly needed because of high healthcare costs.
I know there is free healthcare for pregnant women but if its anything like CT don't take it you are subjected to the lowest care they treat you like you are scum make you wait 4 ever, it is literally awful I fell pregnant with my first here they found an echogenic focus (down syndrome ) and wanted me to go for loads of tests so I opted for the out and went home where I was treated with best care. and they assured me it was nothing and shouldn't have even told me about it.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 6:13 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
I'm more arrogant than sanctimonious
In your case, it's both of the above!
Old Feb 18th 2006, 8:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I don't understand. Whether you stay or go, what is wrong with obtaining US citizenship? I could kick myself forwards and backwards for not taking the time to become a British citizen before we left the UK. If things hadn't been so unbelievably hectic, I would have. Regardless of whether we ever go back to live or not, at least I would have had it.
getting the brit one, you wouldn't have to pay taxes on it, but with the US, you would, not a problem for most but if you won that mega jackpot lottery, would be a bugger to pay taxes on it wouldn't it...I'd say stick the greencard and head home via luxembourg and not pay any taxes on it
Old Feb 18th 2006, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
getting the brit one, you wouldn't have to pay taxes on it, but with the US, you would, not a problem for most but if you won that mega jackpot lottery, would be a bugger to pay taxes on it wouldn't it...I'd say stick the greencard and head home via luxembourg and not pay any taxes on it
Gee Bob, what are the odds that you become a US citizen and then win a jackpot?
Old Feb 18th 2006, 10:30 am
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by nottsinCT
bumped it up to 840 bucks a month its killing the small business.
I used to be self-employed. $10K a year minimum for a decent family insurance policy. You have to factor that into the cost of doing business.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 11:03 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
???
Unintentional irony? Is there an over the counter supplement for irony?

NC Penguin
Old Feb 18th 2006, 11:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an Anthem policy, but with those pre existing conditions you will have problems.

I know that in Colorado you can get Insurance through a Group arrangement but that Groups purpose must not be to obtain insurance for its members, incidental.

Also you can have a Group of 1 in certain circumstances, there are advantages in being under a Group arrangement under state law.

Then there are deductibles and co pays even if you have insurance, and it covers the event.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 2:38 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Well, for one we use contraceptives!!! We don't plan to have another baby for another 2 years, by which point we will probably have enough money to cover medical insurance. Ultimately I'd like to move back to England, as I really don't like it over here, but time will tell on that one.
Two years is a long time, Partystar. Just hope you two are holding a constant discussion rather than holding out until the end before deciding. Maybe try and get yourself a government job for the insurance, eh? Best wishes.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:37 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Two years is a long time, Partystar. Just hope you two are holding a constant discussion rather than holding out until the end before deciding. Maybe try and get yourself a government job for the insurance, eh? Best wishes.
Yeah, he knows I'm not happy here. It's making him a bit depressed but I'm not one of those people who keep their feelings all bottled up (Americans!!! ) . He's well aware of the fact that I hate it here. I keep trying to think of ways around it, but at the end of the day, it would only work if we were millionaires, as I'd like to be able to have our son at school in England, which would mean me living there. Then probably come over here for school holidays (half term, end of term, summer holidays). Unless things change in the next year or 2 & I grow to like it, but I really don't see me being happy with anything here, I really don't like it.

With regards to the government job suggestion, hubby is going to college to become a fireman, so that should bring with it some decent insurance, hopefully at an affordable price. He is trying to make our lives better here, he's a great husband & father too.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottsinCT
Strange, having read that maybe wording came out slightly wrong haha by no means am I living the American dream.. we live in a 2 bed rented apartment luckily I was blessed with 2 boys (1 brit born 1 US born) so they can share as there is no way the rents on a 3 bed is affordable the excellent wage that we so get is no way near enough to buy a house here but its better than any other company would offer, we own very basics but have minimal debt. My fear of Staying in Notts was it was turning really bad which is now named the Booze captiol of Britain gang capitol of Britain and also known as Shottingham.... but CT is becoming that hahaha. healthcare was a big must whne we agreed to come back and the company pay for it but turning 30 bumped it up to 840 bucks a month its killing the small business. yet it is so badly needed because of high healthcare costs.
I know there is free healthcare for pregnant women but if its anything like CT don't take it you are subjected to the lowest care they treat you like you are scum make you wait 4 ever, it is literally awful I fell pregnant with my first here they found an echogenic focus (down syndrome ) and wanted me to go for loads of tests so I opted for the out and went home where I was treated with best care. and they assured me it was nothing and shouldn't have even told me about it.
CT is well known around the North East as one of the most expensive to buy a house and looking at newpapers when I am there I tend to agree. There is no way I could afford to live there. It's because all these city workers live there and ride the train into NYC every day. Other states are a lot cheaper to buy property. I am not gonna tell you how much I paid for this house on here because most of you will cry..... It was very cheap to say the least.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

On the health insurance subject I pay $110 a week for the whole family and that includes Dental and Eyes. ..... I think it's a rip off.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:55 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I am not gonna tell you how much I paid for this house on here because most of you will cry..... It was very cheap to say the least.
I think you'll find most people couldn't give a toss mate!!
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:57 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
I have to agree... I have no interest in his teeth whatsoever ...

Last edited by Ray; Feb 19th 2006 at 5:10 am.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rushman
Good !................. I agree that no one needs to know anyones finacial details on here ............... others need to take note

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.