Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of Medical Care

Wikiposts

Cost of Medical Care

Old Feb 18th 2006, 2:48 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Medical Care

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
No more than you!

NC Penguin
I'm more arrogant than sanctimonious
Old Feb 18th 2006, 2:58 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Your post begs the question.... Why are you living in the US if you/your family cannot afford medical insurance and you have a pre-existing heart condition? Sounds like a recipe for financial ruin.

You have British citizenship so it probably makes a lot of sense to move to the UK (even if you haven't lived there in a long time/ever).

NC Penguin
This is how I feel, but I promised hubby I would give it a few years here & I'm a woman of my word. My heart condition is only minor, but it's one of those things that you can never really know what's gonna happen. So far the only thing it's done to me is make me faint a lot, I'm not able to run (overexertion, which leads to fainting) & I've had a really bad 'funny turn' once. I may have to have a valve replacement in the future, but I won't know until it creeps up on me.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 3:07 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Why give your husband "the benefit of the doubt"? You're the one with the pre-existing health condition? If he insists on you and the family living in the US, I would question how much he really cares for you. If you haven't got your health, nothing else is worth anything.

NC Penguin
Well that's the thing, I'm not too bad at the moment. I used to take 21 pills a day from when I was 18 until I was 21, but came off them as we wanted to have a baby (they cause birth defects). Got pregnant, had the baby, but I've not gone back on them because I hate taking medication, plus they made me fat (gained 35 lbs). So far, I've not been too bad, but I do have things looming over my head, for example, at some point I'll need a hysterectomy, but that hopefully won't be for a few years, as we wanna have more children first.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 3:10 am
Notts - CT

nottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Partystar
Well that's the thing, I'm not too bad at the moment. I used to take 21 pills a day from when I was 18 until I was 21, but came off them as we wanted to have a baby (they cause birth defects). Got pregnant, had the baby, but I've not gone back on them because I hate taking medication, plus they made me fat (gained 35 lbs). So far, I've not been too bad, but I do have things looming over my head, for example, at some point I'll need a hysterectomy, but that hopefully won't be for a few years, as we wanna have more children first.
Is there not a cheap plan for you that will not cover doctors visits have a deductible but still cover your medical bills should you need major I know Anthem does but not sure if its your area check out esurance.com they make them so complicated to understand but its worth a look.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 3:17 am
Notts - CT

nottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nottsinCT
Is there not a cheap plan for you that will not cover doctors visits have a deductible but still cover your medical bills should you need major I know Anthem does but not sure if its your area check out esurance.com they make them so complicated to understand but its worth a look.
Also I totally understand the not wanting to be here we originally came in 1995 I hated it then was back and forth over the next 2 years we ended up in England for 3 full years and the day we got the call in 2000 for my husband to come back we we couldn't get here quick enough I love England and would go back in a heartbeat but I had become accustomed to this lifestyle and England jsut seemed to bore me but it was the going home that made me realize that we were better off here. Although I still hate it here in CT the people are jsut sooo ignorant and caught up in Money and material things, it turns my stomach, but my husband gets such a good package wage ins we can't leave. I am going to put my money on the 365 million on the powerball tonight and keep my fingers crossed..hahaha.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 3:24 am
Back where I belong!

Thanx for the link, I'll take a look.

Basically right now, we have no extra money to pay for anything other than our current bills. I'll be applying for another job soon, so I'll be working 3 jobs - full time mother, part time office administrator (during the day while watching my son) & soon to be, part time waitress (evenings & weekends while hubby is home to watch our son). Hubby works full time & goes to college 3 nights a week. Ahhh, living the American dream, isn't life great?!?!
Old Feb 18th 2006, 3:25 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but what you are telling us here really worries me. What if your condition worsens because you are not taking your meds? Is there no community clinic near you where you can at least get yourself checked out? (Do you have your full medical history to give them, so they'd know what they are dealing with? If not, can you get it sent from the UK - I know you have a right to see it.)

All the best.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 3:28 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

... I still hate it here in CT

the people are jsut sooo ignorant and caught up in Money and material things, it turns my stomach,

but my husband gets such a good package wage ins we can't leave.

....hahaha.

???
Old Feb 18th 2006, 3:29 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
???
That's what I thought
Old Feb 18th 2006, 4:07 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx for the link, I'll take a look.

Basically right now, we have no extra money to pay for anything other than our current bills. I'll be applying for another job soon, so I'll be working 3 jobs - full time mother, part time office administrator (during the day while watching my son) & soon to be, part time waitress (evenings & weekends while hubby is home to watch our son). Hubby works full time & goes to college 3 nights a week. Ahhh, living the American dream, isn't life great?!?!
Why are you so keen to stay in the US, then? Sounds like the dream is a living nightmare.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 4:10 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Elvira
I hope you don't mind me saying this, but what you are telling us here really worries me. What if your condition worsens because you are not taking your meds? Is there no community clinic near you where you can at least get yourself checked out? (Do you have your full medical history to give them, so they'd know what they are dealing with? If not, can you get it sent from the UK - I know you have a right to see it.)

All the best.
Thanx for the support, but there really isn't much cause for concern right now. If I were back in England right now, I'd be doing the same thing with regards to not taking my pills. The major difference right now, is that I haven't gone to the doctors about anything, when I probably would have if I were in England. Believe me when I say, that I'll be moving back to England if my problems come back with full force & I'm sure hubby would come back too, if that were the case.

Me not taking my pills shouldn't worsen my conditions, so please don't worry about me. Right now, my problems aren't bad enough for me to take the pills & have to put up with the bad side effects. As for community clinics, I have no idea, no one has told me of any & I know a few of my friends were looking for some at one point, but came up with nothing. I do have most of my medical notes, so that's no problem.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 4:18 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by dunroving
Why are you so keen to stay in the US, then? Sounds like the dream is a living nightmare.
I'm not so keen to stay here, Yankie hubby wants to be here & we're just along for the ride! I love my husband & want to be with him, I've told him I'll give it 3 years, so far it's been a year & 3 months, tick tick tick.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 4:35 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

As for community clinics, I have no idea, no one has told me of any & I know a few of my friends were looking for some at one point, but came up with nothing.
Free Medical and Virginia G. Piper Dental Clinic
Society of St. Vincent de Paul’s Dan O’Meara Campus
420 W. Watkins Rd
Phoenix.
602-261-6868.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 4:39 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Free Medical and Virginia G. Piper Dental Clinic
Society of St. Vincent de Paul’s Dan O’Meara Campus
420 W. Watkins Rd
Phoenix.
602-261-6868.
Thanx David, I'll look into it.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 4:43 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Cost of Medical Care

at some point I'll need a hysterectomy, but that hopefully won't be for a few years, as we wanna have more children first.
I'm a bit worried about you......what on earth will you do if you get pregnant in the US? You will surely need good medical care then - or will you decide to add to your family if you are back (temporarily or permanently) in the UK or Australia?

I have an Aussie friend in New Jersey whom is 41 and has had a few cycles of IVF treatment....she's due to deliver twin girls next month. She's had a heart murmur all of her life and last week had to see a cardiologist as the pregnancy is putting extra strain on her heart....fortunately she is fine but Partystar - seriously what would you do if you got pregnant here in the US without insurance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.