Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of Medical Care

Wikiposts

Cost of Medical Care

Old Feb 17th 2006, 2:20 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Medical Care

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's what we think too. That's why we are hesitating over citizenship.

Not sure what citizenship has got to do with this. You won't lose your British citizenship if you become a USC.

To qualify for the NHS, you just have to be permanently resident in the UK. And that could start the day you get back, IF you are planning to remain for the foreseeable future.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 2:27 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
This practice has now stopped .. I work in the industry and the ADVAMED law now prohibits freebies in Pharma (even lunches over $50) and medical devices sales will be implemented in CA in March. The fines for breaching the law are terrifying and the FDA are actively policing it.
The Stark Laws have also restricted how much pharma cos can do in the name of marketing a particular drug or medical appliance.

The link gives an overview of the Stark Law. It's a real minefield for physicians and the Stark Laws are somewhat ill-defined and open to interpretation, giving attorneys out there opportunities for business (no surprise there, I suppose)...

NC Penguin
Old Feb 17th 2006, 2:30 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I thought too. I have a friend who's husband spends every night out dining with Pharma companies and she believes him.
I bet he runs into a lot of good looking women. I read that a lot of pharma reps are ex-cheerleaders, making them easy on the eye.

Using the lowest common denominator (sex) is smart marketing when the majority of physicians are men.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 17th 2006, 3:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Not sure what citizenship has got to do with this. You won't lose your British citizenship if you become a USC.

To qualify for the NHS, you just have to be permanently resident in the UK. And that could start the day you get back, IF you are planning to remain for the foreseeable future.
Yes I am aware of that its just that for me becoming a US citizen is a big step and I don't think it is one I should take if I don't intend to stay. If I intend to stay in the US then I will probably become a USC.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 3:34 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

How can doctors, hospitals etc. justify charging actual paying patients more than they do insurance companies. ie Appendectomy: cost to insurance co. $8K cost to patient with no insurance $10K. How can they do this when the people that have to pay full costs are usually the ones that can't afford insurance. I know the reason behind it but it is not a moral one.
I'm thinking the patient who has insurance pays less for their share of medical charges than someone without any any medical insurance at all because the employer (if the individual is not self employed) foots part of the bill through subsidising the premium that the employee pays monthly, through payroll.

Plus, if the medical service provider is being greedy and asking more than is usually charged (UCC), then the health insurance company has some clout to negotiate that the total charge be reduced to something more reasonable. The end result is that the patient, the one with medical insurance, ends up paying a little less than was originally expected.

Those who have no insurance have no such clout to negotiate. It's either "take my way or take the highway". Sad but true...

NC Penguin
Old Feb 17th 2006, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I am aware of that its just that for me becoming a US citizen is a big step and I don't think it is one I should take if I don't intend to stay. If I intend to stay in the US then I will probably become a USC.
It has no impact on NHS care, there are many reasons to add it, not that many against.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I'm thinking the patient who has insurance pays less for their share of medical charges than someone without any any medical insurance at all because the employer (if the individual is not self employed) foots part of the bill through subsidising the premium that the employee pays monthly, through payroll.

Plus, if the medical service provider is being greedy and asking more than is usually charged (UCC), then the health insurance company has some clout to negotiate that the total charge be reduced to something more reasonable. The end result is that the patient, the one with medical insurance, ends up paying a little less than was originally expected.

Those who have no insurance have no such clout to negotiate. It's either "take my way or take the highway". Sad but true...

NC Penguin

That caught me by surprise as well, all down to clout, you are an individual, they make their volume from the scheme administrators who can accordingly obtain more reasonable prices.

Plus of course often you are not in a position to shop around.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 2:05 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by Boiler
That caught me by surprise as well, all down to clout, you are an individual, they make their volume from the scheme administrators who can accordingly obtain more reasonable prices.

Plus of course often you are not in a position to shop around.
I've heard on the radio about group insurance that can be obtained for those who need to buy their health insurance privately. I can't remember names of providers but I imagine that one can find them via an internet search. The premiums are lower than buying individually because of the number to be insured.

Maybe the groups were defined by geographic criteria, industry in which people worked and other criteria.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 18th 2006, 2:06 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

How can doctors, hospitals etc. justify charging actual paying patients more than they do insurance companies. ie Appendectomy: cost to insurance co. $8K cost to patient with no insurance $10K. How can they do this when the people that have to pay full costs are usually the ones that can't afford insurance. I know the reason behind it but it is not a moral one.
That's us, we can't afford healthcare, so we end up just having to pay whatever price they feel like charging us that day. I have many medical problems, but have not gone to the doctor once since I got here (apart from my immigration medical). The medical future does not look bright for us, I see heart surgery in my future & we'll be bankrupt if I need to have it before we can afford insurance. I wanna go back home where I don't have to think about how much it's gonna cost before we go to the doctors. The NHS rulz, Brits over there don't know how lucky they are (well some of them do!).
Old Feb 18th 2006, 2:09 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Back to Blighty?

Chance it to Canada?
I'd move back in a defective heartbeat!!! At the moment I'm giving hubby the benefit of the doubt, so I've got at least another year & 9 months yet.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 2:18 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by Partystar
That's us, we can't afford healthcare, so we end up just having to pay whatever price they feel like charging us that day. I have many medical problems, but have not gone to the doctor once since I got here (apart from my immigration medical). The medical future does not look bright for us, I see heart surgery in my future & we'll be bankrupt if I need to have it before we can afford insurance. I wanna go back home where I don't have to think about how much it's gonna cost before we go to the doctors. The NHS rulz, Brits over there don't know how lucky they are (well some of them do!).
Your post begs the question.... Why are you living in the US if you/your family cannot afford medical insurance and you have a pre-existing heart condition? Sounds like a recipe for financial ruin.

You have British citizenship so it probably makes a lot of sense to move to the UK (even if you haven't lived there in a long time/ever).

NC Penguin
Old Feb 18th 2006, 2:22 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by Partystar
I'd move back in a defective heartbeat!!! At the moment I'm giving hubby the benefit of the doubt, so I've got at least another year & 9 months yet.
Why give your husband "the benefit of the doubt"? You're the one with the pre-existing health condition? If he insists on you and the family living in the US, I would question how much he really cares for you. If you haven't got your health, nothing else is worth anything.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 18th 2006, 2:30 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Why give your husband "the benefit of the doubt"? You're the one with the pre-existing health condition? If he insists on you and the family living in the US, I would question how much he really cares for you. If you haven't got your health, nothing else is worth anything.

NC Penguin

Do you know that you sound really sanctimonious at times
Old Feb 18th 2006, 2:41 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by lionheart
Do you know that you sound really sanctimonious at times
No more than you!

NC Penguin
Old Feb 18th 2006, 2:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand. Whether you stay or go, what is wrong with obtaining US citizenship? I could kick myself forwards and backwards for not taking the time to become a British citizen before we left the UK. If things hadn't been so unbelievably hectic, I would have. Regardless of whether we ever go back to live or not, at least I would have had it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.