Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of Medical Care

Wikiposts

Cost of Medical Care

Old Feb 17th 2006, 5:34 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Medical Care

Originally Posted by Eskimo
This practice has now stopped .. I work in the industry and the ADVAMED law now prohibits freebies in Pharma (even lunches over $50) and medical devices sales will be implemented in CA in March. The fines for breaching the law are terrifying and the FDA are actively policing it.
How about conferences in Hawaii - does the new law cover that ??
I'm sure that there will be ways round the new legislation that the pharma companies won't be too slow to exploit.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 5:41 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
How about conferences in Hawaii - does the new law cover that ??
I'm sure that there will be ways round the new legislation that the pharma companies won't be too slow to exploit.
really everyone is crapping it .......I think it will work
Old Feb 17th 2006, 5:42 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

really everyone is crapping it .......I think it will work
Cool - but its Ca only, is that right ??
Old Feb 17th 2006, 5:46 am
Account Closed

Cool - but its Ca only, is that right ??
no - the whole of the US for Pharma and CA has extended it to medical devices (Dental, Medical etc)
Old Feb 17th 2006, 5:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

This practice has now stopped .. I work in the industry and the ADVAMED law now prohibits freebies in Pharma (even lunches over $50) and medical devices sales will be implemented in CA in March. The fines for breaching the law are terrifying and the FDA are actively policing it.
That's what I thought too. I have a friend who's husband spends every night out dining with Pharma companies and she believes him.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 5:50 am
Thinking about it

no - the whole of the US for Pharma and CA has extended it to medical devices (Dental, Medical etc)
I've noticed that they have started to sponsor golf tournaments quite a bit in the last few years - is that possibly related to this law ie they now have to spend their bribing budget on something else ???
Old Feb 17th 2006, 5:59 am
Account Closed

I've noticed that they have started to sponsor golf tournaments quite a bit in the last few years - is that possibly related to this law ie they now have to spend their bribing budget on something else ???
You can sponsor the tournament - you can't give doctors tickets, shirts, golf balls etc - TV advertising has increased as well
Old Feb 17th 2006, 11:33 am
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

It's just a matter of time. The poor here have been unable to afford medical care for years, so the rest of us subsidize them. But now the middle class are increasingly unable to afford it either. When enough of the middle class go without, the present insurance system will come crashing down. At that point the government or the states will have to introduce some sort of national insurance system with price caps, rationing and limits on treatments. The AMA and the drug companies will scream loud, but they know it's coming.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 1:26 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

As a poor person, I'd like to know where I go to get free health care.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 1:32 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar

Community clinics?

They have them here in CA. People are asked to pay 'what they can afford'.

Some doctors will give uninsured patients a special deal (I guess it's the equivalent of 'pro bono'?)

But it's tough if you don't have insurance but aren't poor enough to qualify for Medicaid.

One reason why we will definitely retire back to the UK is the NHS.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 1:38 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

Or the ER department at my county general. 50% have no insurance, so the rest pay double. At some point this 'unofficial' subsidy will collapse because no-one will have insurance then we'll have to invent a more equitable system.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 1:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Community clinics?

But it's tough if you don't have insurance but aren't poor enough to qualify for Medicaid.

One reason why we will definitely retire back to the UK is the NHS.
That's what we think too. That's why we are hesitating over citizenship.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 1:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

How can doctors, hospitals etc. justify charging actual paying patients more than they do insurance companies. ie Appendectomy: cost to insurance co. $8K cost to patient with no insurance $10K. How can they do this when the people that have to pay full costs are usually the ones that can't afford insurance. I know the reason behind it but it is not a moral one.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 1:57 pm
Occasionally here

Originally Posted by Elvira
Community clinics?

Actually, it's not all gloom because everyone becomes poor enough for Medicaid eventually, after you've forked over the last of your life savings for this month's prescription.

Jerseygirl shouldn't worry. Do you really think 60 million baby-boomers entering their senior years without enough savings to cover their medicine will let the younger generation ignore them? Of course not, they'll vote for a national health system and get the kids to pay more taxes. We'll be ok.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 2:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Back to Blighty?

Chance it to Canada?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.