Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living Houston

Cost of Living Houston

Old Jun 13th 2014, 4:18 am
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cost of Living Houston

Looked through the forums tonight for cost of living in Houston and saw that most had people PM them with answers so wondered if any would comment on the below.

I have a job offer to move to Houston from Calgary (originally from Aberdeen) with my girlfriend who I will be supporting until we get married. As such, I am trying to estimate the minimum amount of money required.

Monthly Bills
Utilities (electricity, water, rented 1/2 bedroom) - $80
Internet/Satellite (Mid speed/basic channels) - $100
Mobile - (two phones me and gf) - $80
Car Insurance for Jeep Wrangler (25 years old) - $150
House insurance - $20
Food bill for two (Walmart..) - $80

Are cabs relatively cheap? Calgary is very expensive $30+ for a 10 minute ride...

I've been told clothing, alcohol, shopping etc is relatively cheaper with taxes on salary being similar to Calgary.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 4:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living Houston

Originally Posted by cbrown89
Looked through the forums tonight for cost of living in Houston and saw that most had people PM them with answers so wondered if any would comment on the below.

I have a job offer to move to Houston from Calgary (originally from Aberdeen) with my girlfriend who I will be supporting until we get married. As such, I am trying to estimate the minimum amount of money required.

Monthly Bills
House insurance - $20

Are cabs relatively cheap? Calgary is very expensive $30+ for a 10 minute ride...

I've been told clothing, alcohol, shopping etc is relatively cheaper with taxes on salary being similar to Calgary.
I have never lived in Houston but two things stand out to me. Mobile phones...$80 for 2...I think you would be lucky to find a decent service for one for $80. Same with food $80 per month...$20 per week or $10 for one.

We have quite a number of members living in Houston who will no doubt be able to help you.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 4:40 am
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have never lived in Houston but two things stand out to me. Mobile phones...$80 for 2...I think you would be lucky to find a decent service for one for $80. Same with food $80 per month...$20 per week or $10 for one.

We have quite a number of members living in Houston who will no doubt be able to help you.
Doh we spend $80 a week!

I just took a look on T-Mobile - Family/2 lines at $80 + tax
Old Jun 13th 2014, 4:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Doh we spend $80 a week!

I just took a look on T-Mobile - Family/2 lines at $80 + tax
My experience of living in the US is that nothing is what it seems. $80 may not be anything like what it actually costs.

BTW I am surprised you've not asked about healthcare. That is usually the #1 concern.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 4:50 am
Weegie in Calgary

My experience of living in the US is that nothing is what it seems. $80 may not be anything like what it actually costs.

BTW I am surprised you've not asked about healthcare. That is usually the #1 concern.
I've yet to see the healthcare package work provides and haven't put enough research into it yet. From speaking with a friend in the Houston office he said it is pretty good but there are still gaps. He mentioned something about innetwork and outnetwork coverage?
Old Jun 13th 2014, 11:44 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Monthly Bills
House insurance - $20

Utilities (very much depends on how you like the temperature in the summer), mobile & renters insurance look a bit low.

Again, the food bill very much depends on what you will eat but I don't see much room for it to get lower, but plenty of room to get higher.

I'd say overall you've estimated to the low end of just about everything other than car insurance, assuming you may get some credit for Canadian driving in the system. If not, there are ways around that too (AIG inbound scheme).

Taxis pretty much don't exist, so I honestly couldn't give you a price. People drive themselves pretty much everywhere. Meal out with alcohol? A significant % of the local population don't let that phase them.

I can't tell you what taxes are on a salary in Calgary, but there is no state income tax in Texas which simplifies things. As a single person, your overall tax (including FICA) without any deductions would be around 25% on $100k, 27% on $150k - note that there are huge generalizations in these numbers, because of the way US tax is assessed. As far as I know Calgary is relatively expensive so it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect clothing, alcohol etc to be a cheaper.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Mr Weeze on most things again.

One thing you've missed is property tax, though that will likely be covered by the owner if you're renting.

And as for cabs, expect to spend near to nothing on them, since they are rare, expensive and often unreliable, more so in the suburbs where you are expecting to live and work. You will need your own car, and you will drive it to go almost everywhere.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 1:39 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

I have never lived in Houston but two things stand out to me. Mobile phones...$80 for 2...I think you would be lucky to find a decent service for one for $80.
A couple of options for the OP:

ATT GoPhone $54 pcm via calling mart
Cricket (ATT) $45 pcm (with autopay).

Gets you to around the 90-100 mark per month.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 1:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
A couple of options for the OP:

ATT GoPhone $54 pcm via calling mart
Cricket (ATT) $45 pcm (with autopay).

Gets you to around the 90-100 mark per month.
Does that include all the taxes and fees they load onto cell phone bills?
Old Jun 13th 2014, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing that stands out is that I believe you have to bring a spouse over on your visa rather than a girlfriend. I'm not up on all the visa jargon, but that's what I've read on here over time.

I'd check on that one first.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 2:18 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Does that include all the taxes and fees they load onto cell phone bills?
Yep. Everything.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 2:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Another thing that stands out is that I believe you have to bring a spouse over on your visa rather than a girlfriend.
Correct. Only a spouse qualifies for a derivative visa. A non married partner would only qualify for a B1/B2 visa which allows them to live with you.

Best get married..
Old Jun 13th 2014, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Correct. Only a spouse qualifies for a derivative visa. A non married partner would only qualify for a B1/B2 visa which allows them to live with you.

Best get married..
That particular visa is only for a short period of time, right?
Old Jun 13th 2014, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Monthly Bills
House insurance - $20

As mentioned Health costs could be the largest monthly expense. We have pretty good HI through my employer at $381/month for a couple, $30 co-pay, $500 deductible, 90/10 coverage for in-network providers. Last year our average health costs spending including dental care (check-up and clean) was over $500/month and we are both pretty healthy.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 2:48 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
That particular visa is only for a short period of time, right?
From FAM:

9 FAM 41.31 N14.4 Cohabitating Partners, Extended
Family Members, and Other Household Members not
Eligible for Derivative Status
(CT:VISA-1801; 02-09-2012)

The B-2 classification is appropriate for aliens who are members of the household of another alien in long-term nonimmigrant status, but who are not eligible for derivative status under that alien's visa classification. This is also an appropriate classification for aliens who are members of the household of a U.S. citizen who normally lives and works overseas, but is returning to the United States for a temporary time period.

Such aliens include, but are not limited to the following:
cohabitating partners or elderly parents of temporary workers, students, diplomats posted to the United States, accompanying parent(s) of minor F-1 child-student.

B-2 classification may also be accorded to a spouse or child who qualifies for derivative status (other than derivative A or G status) but for whom it may be inconvenient or impossible to apply for the proper H-4, L-2, F-2, or other derivative visa, provided that the derivative individual intends to maintain a residence outside the United States and otherwise meets the B visa eligibility requirements.

If such individuals plan to stay in the United States for more than six months, they should be advised to ask the Department of Homeland Security
(DHS) for a one-year stay at the time they apply for admission. If needed, they may thereafter apply for extensions of stay, in increments of up to six months, for the duration of the principal alien's nonimmigrant status in the United States

Last edited by hungryhorace; Jun 13th 2014 at 3:00 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.